Wikileaks Apr 5th leak - Collateral Murder

An open area for free-thinkers and believers to slug it out.

Wikileaks Apr 5th leak - Collateral Murder

Unread postby willow » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 am

http://www.collateralmurder.com/ - caution graphic footage
Wikileaks wrote:5th April 2010 10:44 EST WikiLeaks has released a classified US military video depicting the indiscriminate slaying of over a dozen people in the Iraqi suburb of New Baghdad -- including two Reuters news staff.

The video taken from a US Apache helicopter and decoded by Wikileaks has been verified by representatives of the US military as well as independant sources.

After demands by Reuters, the incident was investigated and the U.S. military concluded that the actions of the soldiers were in accordance with the law of armed conflict and its own "Rules of Engagement".

The official US statement was that they had successfully engaged a group of armed insurgents with no civilian casualties. They later appended their story to admit the shooting at a van containing and injuring a 5 year old girl and a 10 year old boy whos father was killed in the attack trying to help a wounded journalist. Shortly after firing, they are heard laughing. One of the pilots is heard saying, "Oh, yeah, look at those dead bastards" Another replies, "Nice.". Another crew member is heard to say on tape saying "Well it's their fault for bringing their kids into a battle,"

The "Insurgents" were photographers carrying cameras which the helicopter crew mistook to be AK-47's and an RPG prompting a preemptive strike by the Apache crew who were under no direct threat.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/04/0 ... ttack.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6 ... 1590548:z0
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1617459520070716
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/13/world ... 20Refugees
The American military said in a statement late Thursday [2007] that 11 people had been killed: nine insurgents and two civilians. According to the statement, American troops were conducting a raid when they were hit by small-arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades. The American troops called in reinforcements and attack helicopters. In the ensuing fight, the statement said, the two Reuters employees and nine insurgents were killed.

“There is no question that coalition forces were clearly engaged in combat operations against a hostile force,” said Lt. Col. Scott Bleichwehl, a spokesman for the multinational forces in Baghdad.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/04/ ... tml?hpt=C1
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04 ... latestnews
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36182383/ns ... tn_africa/
Last edited by willow on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Re: Wikileaks Apr 5th leak - Collateral Murder

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Absolutely disgusting. To listen to that video, that was hardly an "armed attack" that they were fending off. Those poor fuckers didn't shoot at them and didn't have a chance. There needs to be a serious review of the military branches in the states (and here in Canada as well - we are not so innocent ourselves).
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:19 pm

War is hell. Show me a war where there were no accidental casualties, and I will show you a war somebody lied about, or somebody covered it up. :shoot: It is a calculated risk. Does this mean the soldiers were not liable? Hell no. Give them a fair court-martial. Punish them appropriately. A denial and coverup? :o It's not like it never happens, don't you expect these things to happen occasionally in a war? :o If so you are naive, and need to be introduced to the real world. :shock: If the former Soviet Union had done this, we never would have heard the gov't admit it ever happened. :palm:

That said, I think it's gawd-awful that we are in Iraq, and I was preaching anti-invasion ever since 9/11. We had no real reason to invade, and shame on George Bush :corrupt: for executing it. If there was a hell, it is for GWB. :corrupt: I NEVER voted for GWB, as a matter of fact I voted against him. There are many stupid ppls in USA, and apparently they vote. :ssh: Most of them are touting the republican platform (I am not a democrat either). War is what you do ONLY when there is NO other alternative. That was not the case. And the fact that congress never declared war is irrelevant. When we invaded Iraq, :oops: I became ashamed to be an American. And this 'collateral damage' is just another shame for me, as a part of the original shame for invading Iraq in the first place. :oops:

Added: It was GWB that killed these poor innocent bystanders, not the pilots nor the others. GWB killed them when he ordered us to invade.
Last edited by HalloweenWeed on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 am

IT's a horrible thing, and it just goes to show that war is seriously fucked up. At the very least, the men responsible need a court-martial, and we need to evaluate the incident and try to determine what we can do to prevent such incidents in the future. (we'll never be able to fully prevent such things, but at the very least, we should be able to better train our soldiers so that these events are less likely)
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Really the guys are not shooting people, they are looking a video screens. This is about as personal was COD.

Videos like this make you realise how much war is like this, how many people died in Vietnam, or Iraq V1 that did not need too. Imagine this story getting passed via Iraq news feeds, it would be the stuff of dreams to insurgent recruiters. Every 1 person killed in the video has family, who are probably right now being trailed to suicide bomb some soilder, who in turn has friends who will kill more 'suspected' civilians. The circle of war!
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:01 pm

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:Imagine this story getting passed via Iraq news feeds, ...

You think that it hasn't? I think the chance that it hasn't is about .00001.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:17 pm

Sorry my phrasing was out, what I meant was imagine how this story would be told via the Iraqi news feeds. Blessed be the propaganda makers.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:29 pm

I doubt such a news feed in Iraq would be much of an outrage. Last time i checked, something around 20% of iraqi households (remaining) have had 1 or more family members killed in the conflict due to violence. That considers how many households are still there; for a time, about 100k people fled the country a month (proportional to 1 million fleeing the US a month); and it also doesn't consider all the people who are dead because a lack of vital infrastructure such as food, electricity, and plumbing. This clip is a great demonstration of what war is like, especially modern warfare, but it's really only a big deal to those who don't live through it everyday like the people in iraq.

They know up close (well, not really from this clip) and personal how foreign military is treating them. But... it's what makes the green grass grow right?
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Unread postby dr210077 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:51 pm

I think I read something about the US arresting someone for telling a hacker/journalist that they were the source for wikileaks, sometime last week. Apparently the hacker/journo told the authorities because he feared that the individual was, "a threat to national security."
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby willow » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:15 am

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/06/leak/

Federal officials have arrested an Army intelligence analyst who boasted of giving classified U.S. combat video and hundreds of thousands of classified State Department records to whistleblower site Wikileaks, Wired.com has learned.

SPC Bradley Manning, 22, of Potomac, Maryland, was stationed at Forward Operating Base Hammer, 40 miles east of Baghdad, where he was arrested nearly two weeks ago by the Army’s Criminal Investigation Division. A family member says he’s being held in custody in Kuwait, and has not been formally charged.

Manning was turned in late last month by a former computer hacker with whom he spoke online. In the course of their chats, Manning took credit for leaking a headline-making video of a helicopter attack that Wikileaks posted online in April. The video showed a deadly 2007 U.S. helicopter air strike in Baghdad that claimed the lives of several innocent civilians.

He said he also leaked three other items to Wikileaks: a separate video showing the notorious 2009 Garani air strike in Afghanistan that Wikileaks has previously acknowledged is in its possession; a classified Army document evaluating Wikileaks as a security threat, which the site posted in March; and a previously unreported breach consisting of 260,000 classified U.S. diplomatic cables that Manning described as exposing “almost criminal political back dealings.”

“Hillary Clinton, and several thousand diplomats around the world are going to have a heart attack when they wake up one morning, and find an entire repository of classified foreign policy is available, in searchable format, to the public,” Manning wrote.

Read More http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/0 ... z0rAeRVzIG

Its weird, as much as I support wikileaks and the purpose of such a whistleblowing site, I recognize the need for national secrets etc... a flat out leak of 260,000 documents to me is criminal, thats not a controlled selective leak to reveal a problem etc ergo not valid whistleblowing.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Next

Return to Rational Thought vs Irrational Beliefs