Abortion: THIS THREAD CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES NOT FOR MINORS

An open area for free-thinkers and believers to slug it out.

Re: Abortion: THIS THREAD CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES NOT FOR MINORS

Unread postby willow » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:08 pm

the difference at least to me comes in timing, if you want to try the its a human being from conception angle then about the only response i can provide is that we have different ideas of what it means to be "human" as oposed to a small cluster of cells with the potential to become human. I realize this sounds like splitting hairs but honestly by the "conception" criterion, my liver cells, hair cells, or the cells I left in the tissue last time I sneezed are all "human"

If you want to argue that killing a baby a week before or a week after birth is murder either way, then I would agree with you. Note my rather large post just above yours, I dont consider abortions prior to human viability wrong. If one wants to draw a line in the sand somewhere, and one must, then I put that line at the point where by the fetus can survive outside the womb. This seems firmly biologically placed at 21-24 weeks (at least until we finish work on that artificial womb).

If you dont want to draw a line in the sand somewhere and want to insist that life starts at conception then start planning proper church funerals for miscarrages and spontanious abortions. You must also begin to hold murder trials for woman who lose their babies for "lifestyle choices" like obesity, smoking and alcoholism or other drug addictions. Then there is the opinion of the hard line catholics that all forms of birth control, because they prevent conception or in some cases function by spontaneous abortion through hormonal regulation, are wrong.

So what do you think is acceptable on the subject? no abortions for anyone, only for saving lives, exceptions in case of rape etc?
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:54 am

I am your complete oposite.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Not the woman's fault ... most people think of a rape baby in that situation. But I can think of several other reasons that such a case might be. For example, a male that wishes to somehow cause the woman to become codependent and purposefully damages his condoms in an effort to impregnate her. In that case, it is not her fault as she was relying on the use of a contraceptive to avoid becoming pregnant, but the male actively interrupted that.

Of course, the event need not be malicious. Perhaps the condom broke naturally. Perhaps her contraceptive was not in place correctly or up to date or whatever.

My take - if it's not her fault or it is, then it is up to the female to get an abortion. That is the general standard that I hold to. That can get complicated depending on a multitude of complicating factors, such as it being my child, the mental state of the female, the danger to the child and mother from birthing, economics, etc. Each of those would require a paragraph to even begin to describe the particulars of how those interact with the pregnancy. In short though, I summarize by saying it is her right to get one, be it her fault or not.
Last edited by Azmodan Kijur on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:53 pm

I believe it is better a baby never be born, than be born and hurt through neglect or ignorance.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Better not to live than to live a really shitty life? Not a bad motto - needs a snappier ending ;)
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:44 pm

I believe it is better a baby never be born, than be born and hurt through neglect or ignorance..........BA BAM PA!

A simple story like Room by Emma Donoghue, shows a mother doing the best she can in a shitty situation. However I see mothers daily. With teams of children who seem to give less that two fucks about their well being or safety. To this day I still beleive that Madeleine McCann was taken by someone who saw here parents leave her in the hotel room. While they went out for dinner and drinks, and though I could take better care of her.
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:10 pm

That was that little girl that disappeared that time - yes, that would be a nice ending to that story. I hear of people neglecting their children all the time, like the lady in Las Vegas that left her child in the car while she shopped for a few hours in 105 degree heat. No shade, no fluids, in a sealed car. The result was, apparently, not pretty.

Some people are not fit to serve as parents. Unfortunately, the equipment to become a parent is installed as standard on humans when they are born and few have the presence of mind or the social mentality to get the equipment disabled before pregnancy occurs. Of course, for others it is a matter of a meal ticket, but those are not the rule as I have seen it. Still, the fact remains that these people should not be having children. If a child is destined to have a shitty life, then perhaps an abortion is the right thing to do. Solve the problem before it becomes one. It is an awful thing to have to say given that we are talking about procreation, but welcome to humanity.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:36 am

Azmo you reminded me of one of my all time favourite quotes:
"Any fool with a dick can make a baby, but only a real man can raise his children."

Either Lawrence Fishbourne or John Singleton
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby DVR » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:54 am

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:Azmo you reminded me of one of my all time favourite quotes:
"Any fool with a dick can make a baby, but only a real man can raise his children."

Either Lawrence Fishbourne or John Singleton

Lawrence Fishbourne from "Boyz 'n' the Hood"
DVR

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Damned skippy. Any male can donate sperm to the cause - it takes a "man" to stand up and take the responsibility to aid in raising the resulting child. People are rather foolish about these things - there is not need to ride the woman bare-cock. Wear a goddamned condom and eliminate 99% of the risk of pregnancy. The rest of your life will thank you for it.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Rational Thought vs Irrational Beliefs