Discrimination?

An open area for free-thinkers and believers to slug it out.

Discrimination?

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:14 pm

The Discrimination card has been overplayed I feel. The whole world has had to bend to accommodate people of different genders, races and various bodily dysfunction. I am bored of it. In our modern world I have been led to believe that men and women are equal, able bodied and disabled are equal.

With this I am 100% content. Happy even. Then I turn on the news, and to my astonishment I find that in London they have the Olympics, AND a seperate game for the Paralympics. Surely that must be some sort of discrimination. Sorry lads you guys can't race with the big boys - he is a seperate games for you.

Like wise the tennis the other week, there was a mens competition and an womens competition. Ladies how do you let this happen? In all aspects of life there should be equality, so I think we need to get serious and stop cherry picking when we think we are equal.

I am not a sports fan, but I cannot imagine having a white and black basketball tournaments simply because the average height of black men is higher than that of white men.

So which is it to be equality, or selective parity?
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Re: Discrimination?

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:04 am

Unfortunately, I can't imagine the way things are now to change anytime in the near future. It may however be possible to have co-ed sports teams playing in the Olympics one day (unless of course that has already happened unbeknownst to my knowledge).

A co-ed sports team in the Olympics may get people to realize that such equality is a real, and maybe even a necessary possibility.

Although I'm stumped by the Para-Olympics. Would it truly be fair to allow Para and 'Regular' Olympians to compete along side/against each other? Often times Para-Olympians have technological modifications to either their body, or gear, which could be viewed as either an advantage or in some cases an unfair disadvantage.

What do you think? How could the rules of such a competition be modified to allow cross-competition while maintaining fairness?
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:29 am

but having the paralympic people competing with the olympians would just be awful >.<
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:46 am

That is my point, there are times when we celebrate the differences in people, and others where we are forced to believe we are all equal. I am unclear why we have selective equality.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Differences make us stronger. They make us adaptive. No virus, no weapon, no war is capable of killing all of us for just that reason. We should be always remember that evolution creates numerous differences which has the effect of protecting the species against its own doom.

Humans are different, though. We can think cognitively about the whats, the hows, the whys. We see differences and we make them cultural. These differences, though, tend to be, frankly, very childish. A difference in skin colour, a difference in cuisine, etc. We point these out, we make fun of them, we fight over them ...

Yet we want equality of people. To accept the differences that are there as meaningless. We are a terribly screwed up species. :P

But that is being human, of course. :)
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby willow » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:58 am

lol nice one TBFX :) .
TBFX wrote: Although I'm stumped by the Para-Olympics.

The reason for the seperation of sport is because it does make establishing fairness more simplistic and there are empirical reason for seperation as well atleast upon gender lines. If one compairs the times, weights, heights or other measures of performance in most olympic sports there is a definite difference between male and female performance. In other cases it can be for physical safety like hockey in the winter olympics due to size and weight differences. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ol ... _athletics

I agree however that such distinctions are invariably restictive and in several cases lead to unfairness like in the case of Jamacian female runner Castor something or other who was subjected to a series of humiliating gender verification tests because of complaints that she was too masculine to compete in womens events and may be biologically partially male. The tests didnt prove such just above average testosterone production. Over the course of their deciding what to do with her case she missed 2 years of competition.

For the paralympics can you seriously see many of those athletes competeing in any way in fair competition using prosthetics which are far inferior to real limbs. Or on the other hand, the paraolympian with carbon fibre feet which may possibly give him a physical or technological advancement over fully biological competetors.

Im going on too much and for the tl;dr crowd, the distinctions are there for a reason but enforced far to stringently.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:19 am

Thanks for telling me about the Jamaican girl, I am currently looking at the story more in depth. It's crazy to think that someone was put through this scrutiny, even though I know today's world is capable of such madness.

And that's the thing with modern Para-Olympians, and technological modifications. Maybe just let them compete side-by-side, lusting after the medal together? Note all competitors times/scores, but note the Para's modification, and/or bodily reconstruction (ie. Titanium plates and screws holding the modification in question to the bone of the leg.) Maybe even Non-Paras should be required to list any technologies that have and are currently changing their body (i.e. titanium materials, etc etc)

It's possible.

But then at what point in the future do we then have 2 Olympic teams AGAIN? Due to the technologically enhanced PARAs now having mind-boggling space age metals and materials, and robotics.

After pondering about it. It seems like they're always be a line... in the end.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Return to Rational Thought vs Irrational Beliefs