New Discussion Categories

A place to suggest improvements or changes.

Re: New Discussion Categories

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:54 pm

OK, I was just reading Darth's new 'rules' for "Rational Thought Vs. Irrational Beliefs" Forum, and thinking about item #5, that it needed more direction for those posting vids & pics, as we already have threads for that, and they are not in "Rational Thought Vs. Irrational Beliefs Forum".

Well, I realized then that we already have the subjects for the new forums: They are (usually) the titles for said threads!
Particularly:
Amusing pictures or drawings
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1077#p15523

FAIL, OWNED, PWNED pictures
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=558

Wacky, odd and just downright weird YT videos.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=233

FUNNY COMICS. Relax. Read. Share.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=504

Photography!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1005

And I'm sure there are more, but these are the prime candidates I can think of. Other than the ones I have already proposed.

And perhaps we should make a "Game discussion" forum too, with subforums for different types of games (i.e. computer, non-computer meaning such as old-fashioned low-tech games). I don't see any need for taking it to the game genre level of division yet. Darth's "Elder Scrolls" thread could go in here.

What do you think? If you are for it, please speak up. It seems the negative complainers are more vocal than the positive commenters.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:47 am

A_theist wrote:DUH - I almost COMPLETELY forgot about another discussion category that I think we need!

Sports!

Sports need their own category. There's too many sports to just make a thread, and if we're going to have a 'Boom Room', a category just for music... we should have one for Sports. And for that matter... 'TV and Movies' should have a category too. One thread just isn't sufficient.

These would be great categories with many, many threads in them that I, for one, can say I would be participating in FREQUENTLY. While H3RM3S is about the music, I tend to be more interested in Sports and TV/Movies/Video Games.

So how about it? This would all be so GREAT for the forum! Talk about reaching a new audience with this stuff...

When I first arrived, I always viewed this forum as being geared specifically towards religion and science, and that's how I've mostly treated it. Now I see that it can be much, much more - and I think these changes would have deep positive impacts on this forum. Let's get on board, here, :halo: and make this happen.

As movies and tv shows and video games go, the Boom Room is ready to welcome such threads. The way i have organized it: we have stickies for Music, TV, movies, and videogames. When the disscussions and debates get rich, they will get their own threads. The Boom Room is the entertainment room. Don't you plug your sound system with your TV, and videogames?
Last edited by H3RM3S78 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby A_theist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:46 am

H3RM3S78 wrote:As movies and tv shows and video games go, the Boom Room is ready to welcome such threads. The way i have organized it: we have stickies for Music, TV, movies, and videogames. When the disscussions and debates get rich, they will get their own threads. The Boom Room is the entertainment room. Don't you plug your sound system with your TV, and videogames?

This is news to me... but okay then. I don't want to spread anything too thin. I just suggest we make this information a little more apparent within the boom room. It seems to be all music, including all of the permanent threads at the beginning... with exception to that giant robots thread, lol...
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
A_theist

Reputation point: 17

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:55 am

A_theist wrote:
H3RM3S78 wrote:As movies and tv shows and video games go, the Boom Room is ready to welcome such threads. The way i have organized it: we have stickies for Music, TV, movies, and videogames. When the disscussions and debates get rich, they will get their own threads. The Boom Room is the entertainment room. Don't you plug your sound system with your TV, and videogames?

This is news to me... but okay then. I don't want to spread anything too thin. I just suggest we make this information a little more apparent within the boom room. It seems to be all music, including all of the permanent threads at the beginning... with exception to that giant robots thread, lol...

The focus is on music, but music is everywhere. The Giant Japanese Robot thread is just an example.

There is also the Chill-Out Forum if you feel thats more apropriate. I'm just saying the Boom Room is ready for more.
H3RM3S78

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:37 am

Then at this rate the The Boom Room is no longer an appropriate name.
The Entertainment Room is much more suitable.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:52 am

What about: "The Rec Room"?
H3RM3S78

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Agreed (with A_Theist, H3rm3s, and tBFX) about the Boom Room, but I'm just not sure about calling it the "rec room", perhaps if it were explained well. I did not know this potential about the Boom Room either. But doesn't this make the differences between the Boom Room and "Chill out" fade? It becomes harder to decide where to post. Blurring the lines between and all that.

It also make it harder to keep up with new posts. I don't care to keep up with the "Boom Room" and therefore ignore it, as I will continue to. So if you post non-musical posts in the "Boom Room", they will be wasted as far as I am concerned. Do you see the problem you could cause here? It's a question of blurring the meaning of the categories...
Last edited by HalloweenWeed on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added: It's a question of blurring the meaning of the categories... (paragraph)
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:11 pm

There are a few differences between the Boom Room and Chill-Out.

You won't find threads like these in the Boom Room:
- Poll: The Sarcasm punctuation mark
- Amusing pictures or drawings
- Stand Up Comedy Bits
- jokes/logic problems/logical rants
- An E-Mail Account
- Athene, Best Poker Player in tha World
- etc...

None of them have anything to do with music at all. Music is an important part of TV shows, videogames and movies. So it's easy to post the theme of Knightrider, then get into a huge discussion about David Hasselhoff's surf-board collection. However, if you want to start a thread about David Hasselhoff's surf-board collection, then you should probably start it in the Chill-Out.

Here's another example: say clinical depression is mentioned or even discussed in the Nirvana thread. That's fine because one thing leads to the other. However, if one were to start a thread about clinical depression, then it should be posted in "Science and Technology" even if Nirvana is mentioned.

Now about posting threads regarding TV, videogames and music in the Boom Room. People will typically post it in the appropriate stickied thread. From there if a disscussion arises it may be split into it's own thread and linked from it's origianl location. The point with the Boom Room is we don't want to just read about the artists, we want to see and hear a sample. So if someone posts the end theme from "Lost" in the "TV Themes" thread, and four or five "Lost" related posts ensue, then i'll split those posts into it's own "Lost" thread (complete with the eye-candy).
H3RM3S78

Unread postby A_theist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 pm

H3RM3S78 wrote:There are a few differences between the Boom Room and Chill-Out.

You won't find threads like these in the Boom Room:
- Poll: The Sarcasm punctuation mark
- Amusing pictures or drawings
- Stand Up Comedy Bits
- jokes/logic problems/logical rants
- An E-Mail Account
- Athene, Best Poker Player in tha World
- etc...

None of them have anything to do with music at all. Music is an important part of TV shows, videogames and movies. So it's easy to post the theme of Knightrider, then get into a huge discussion about David Hasselhoff's surf-board collection. However, if you want to start a thread about David Hasselhoff's surf-board collection, then you should probably start it in the Chill-Out.

Here's another example: say clinical depression is mentioned or even discussed in the Nirvana thread. That's fine because one thing leads to the other. However, if one were to start a thread about clinical depression, then it should be posted in "Science and Technology" even if Nirvana is mentioned.

Now about posting threads regarding TV, videogames and music in the Boom Room. People will typically post it in the appropriate stickied thread. From there if a disscussion arises it may be split into it's own thread and linked from it's origianl location. The point with the Boom Room is we don't want to just read about the artists, we want to see and hear a sample. So if someone posts the end theme from "Lost" in the "TV Themes" thread, and four or five "Lost" related posts ensue, then i'll split those posts into it's own "Lost" thread (complete with the eye-candy).

hmm I just don't know about that. Now it more sounds like "Boom Room is for music but other discussions can happen and are welcome so you can post them there". Video Games, TV, Movies, and Music sounds like a good category - but just the way I see it, music (on my part) will be the least discussed of those, due to lack of interest.

I like Rec Room for a name... but I don't think it fits the topics well enough. Entertainment Room is good but just a bit generic. Y'know? Maybe I can't think of something better - so I'd vote for it anyway.
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
A_theist

Reputation point: 17

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:18 pm

But h3rm3s, what if someone wants to post about pool (the RL game)? That's a recreation. Would it belong in the "Boom Room" or "Rec room" (Y/N not giving multiple choice here)? Painting can be considered a recreation. What about sports, would that go in the "Rec room"? What about the thread "The Secret Life of Chaos" - it's a show? All Science and Technology shows? "Video Game Themes"? "Modern Warfare 2"? "Stand Up Comedy Bits"? "The Elder Scrolls"? "Fox News"? "Movies"? "FUNNY COMICS. Relax. Read. Share."? "Billboard badness"? "Artwork, logos, creative stuff"?

"Don't talk to strangers..." could be considered an entertainment discussion...
Where will it end?

I suppose you are also desiring all the "You tube videos" category to be swallowed up into the "Boom Room" or "Rec room"?

Let me be crystal clear about my issues here:
A. Could h3rm3s be just a bit subjective here about what to allow the "Boom Room" or "Rec room" for? Perhaps he should just stay out of this particular debate and let the other members decide.
B. Do you see the blurring of the meaning of the categories that I mentioned in my earlier post?

I'm only trying to get a good democratic objective opinion here, and I don't think h3rm3s is thinking entirely objective about his forum. I'm not saying h3rm3s is wrong. So please chime in everyone.
Last edited by HalloweenWeed on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added: "I'm not saying h3rm3s is wrong."
HalloweenWeed

PreviousNext

Return to Integration Station