New Discussion Categories

A place to suggest improvements or changes.

Re: New Discussion Categories

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Recreation room

A recreation room (also known as a rec room, rumpus room, or ruckus room) is a room used for a variety of purposes, such as parties, games and other everyday or casual use. The term is common in the United States, but is less common in the United Kingdom where the preferred term is games room. Often children and teenagers will entertain their friends in the rec room, which is often located in the basement, away from the main living areas of the house.

I think Rec Room is the perfect alternative designation. Other names could be used but none will make the Boom Room's purpose any clearer.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby dr210077 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:33 pm

I have to say, this thread has become one of my favourite sources of comedy in recent times. I will, however, put payed to some of the more extreme ideas. Having a forum for every eventuality is not only impractical but ridiculous in the extreme. This notion is borne from the fact that one moderator is unsure of how the bulletin board should be moderated in the first place, and for that I apologise as that is ultimately my own failure. We are responding to this situation however, and both Darth and Azmodan are doing an excellent job of both managing the needs of the BB and facilitating the wishes of the users. I for one think that most people don't realise how difficult a balancing act that is!
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:09 pm

{my answers are in italics}

what if someone wants to post about pool (the RL game)? That's a recreation. Would it belong in the "Boom Room" or "Rec room"
Boom Room = Rec Room in this thread. And just because a room is meant for recreation doesnt mean all recreative activities must be performed there. I've never seen anyone skydive or surf in their rec room. A pool table does belong in a rec room, but discussions about don't have to.

Painting can be considered a recreation.
Yes but that's not something you would do in a rec room. Paint on my 5 grand stereo would not be appreciated ty. I think a solarium or a studio would be much better for painting (available natural light and all).

What about sports, would that go in the "Rec room"?
No kicking balls and running allowed inside the house. Didn't your parents teach you that?

What about the thread "The Secret Life of Chaos" - it's a show? All Science and Technology shows?
There is already a forum for science and technology. That is the place for it. "The Secret Life of Chaos" is more about informing than entertaining... unlike Fox News.

"Video Game Themes"?
Video Game Themes... done

"Modern Warfare 2"?
That thread in the Chill Out forum would not fit into the Boom Room because it did not start with the game's soundtrack. The thread isn't even about the game really, but about a feat someone pulled off within the game. To put that in the Boom Room as it is would be like eating a Caramilk that's missing the caramel filling.

"Stand Up Comedy Bits"?
Maybe

"The Elder Scrolls"?
That thread could be moved to the Boom Room but it still belongs in the Chill-out. The way the thread came about makes it not-so-suitable for the Boom Room. There isn't even one YT clip in it.

"Fox News"?
I think it would be great to post parodies of Fox News in the Boom Room, but the real thing clearly belongs in RT vs. IB.

"Movies"?
Movie Themes... done

"FUNNY COMICS. Relax. Read. Share."?
Could be interesting but that still fits more with Chill-Out IMO.

"Billboard badness"?
No

"Artwork, logos, creative stuff"?
That thread in particular seems like it belongs more in the "Integration Station" than in the Chill-Out. My reason? its all about RSS promo.

"Don't talk to strangers..." could be considered an entertainment discussion...
Now you are collecting spiders and calling them bugs. That thread belongs where it is. Virtually every thread in these forums is entertaining. Even the Google Wave thread had it's moments.

Where will it end?
You tell me lol.

I suppose you are also desiring all the "You tube videos" category to be swallowed up into the "Boom Room" or "Rec room"?
No, that category couldn't be more clear. And the videos posted there rarely have anything to do with entertainment or music at all.

Let me be crystal clear about my issues here:
A. Could h3rm3s be just a bit subjective here about what to allow the "Boom Room" or "Rec room" for? Perhaps he should just stay out of this particular debate and let the other members decide.

HalloweenWeed i can't even be sure you even looked in the Boom Room since you started the Folk Music thread. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder in general when it comes to the Boom Room. I am interested in all this feed-back though.

B. Do you see the blurring the meaning of the categories that I mentioned in my earlier post?
I see blurring lines everywhere. Everything in this world ties together somehow, so if we take HalloweenWeed's approach, we could just put all the threads in one single forum dubbed "RSS threads". That won't happen though will it?

--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--

All in all, like i said, i really dont care if we extend the Boom Room to other mediums. I'm happy the way it is. All i'm really saying is that now that the Boom Room is organized, there is room and potential to take it to the next step. Like MTV, it could touch pop culture in general, but unlike MTV, there will always be more than enough room for the music.
Last edited by H3RM3S78 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
H3RM3S78

Unread postby A_theist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 pm

I know what a Recreation Room is, but that has the exact SAME meaning as "Chill Out" - except I like the Chill Out better.

I see HW's point. That goes along with spreading things too thin. Nobody wants to click on 7 different categories to check for new threads they want to keep up with. I agree that it's a delicate balancing act. Too FEW categories is chaos while too MANY is a burden and an annoyance to users.

The solution seems to be to think of the largest categories possible and be done with it. Chill Out can be more of a MISC category. I like the idea of having a combined Music/Movies/Video Games category... and I still think Sports deserves its own category.

I don't think it's a good point to say, "well WHAT ABOUT a YouTube MOVIE about Science and Technology?!? Where will we put that?!" -- lots of things fit more than one category. Usually the one who starts the thread decides, and mods keep those decisions within reason.

Also consider - we don't REALLY need to decide this stuff because it's already BEEN decided very effectively... by other sources. For example: other forums, and also News/Entertainment websites. They've already split categories quite effectively, so we have examples to look at and see what we like.

I'm pushing for SPORTS and ENTERTAINMENT (Music/Movies/Video Games)... either by those names or more clever names with the same idea.
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
A_theist

Reputation point: 17

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 pm

A_theist wrote:I know what a Recreation Room is, but that has the exact SAME meaning as "Chill Out" - except I like the Chill Out better.

Kinda like duplicate threads that are kept in different forums become different threads?

A_theist wrote:I see HW's point. That goes along with spreading things too thin. Nobody wants to click on 7 different categories to check for new threads they want to keep up with. I agree that it's a delicate balancing act. Too FEW categories is chaos while too MANY is a burden and an annoyance to users.

You are the one who wants more forums, Chris. I don't dissagree with you, but dont turn around and say that i'm the one who wants to add more forums. You lost major respect points here. Hypocrits rate very low in my books.

A_theist wrote:Also consider - we don't REALLY need to decide this stuff because it's already BEEN decided very effectively... by other sources. For example: other forums, and also News/Entertainment websites. They've already split categories quite effectively, so we have examples to look at and see what we like.

Chris you are the only one in this forum who lets others decide what you believe in.

A_theist wrote:I'm pushing for SPORTS and ENTERTAINMENT (Music/Movies/Video Games)... either by those names or more clever names with the same idea.

SPORTS is fine, but ENTERTAINMENT is not a forum in which i would post my deepest passions about. Music may be nothing more than entertainment to you Chris, but to me its closer to God than you will ever be.
H3RM3S78

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:30 pm

dr210077 wrote:I have to say, this thread has become one of my favourite sources of comedy in recent times.

It just got more amusing too! :lol:
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:32 pm

HalloweenWeed wrote:
dr210077 wrote:I have to say, this thread has become one of my favourite sources of comedy in recent times.

It just got more amusing too! :lol:

So does that mean it has to belong in RT vs. IB?
H3RM3S78

Unread postby dr210077 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:33 pm

Amusing=chill out
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:35 pm

dr210077 wrote:Amusing=chill out

Amusing for you maybe, but i'm not really chilling-out, i'm debating.
Last edited by H3RM3S78 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H3RM3S78

Unread postby dr210077 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Debating what? How to be amused?

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Integration Station