New Discussion Categories

A place to suggest improvements or changes.

New Discussion Categories

Unread postby A_theist » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:40 am

This is along the lines of what TheBlueFalconX has been saying about us needing more categories - more places to put threads.

Specifically, I want to see a Discussion category for Politics, and a discussion category for Theists Only. I realize we don't have many theists, but I think there should be a place for us theists to discuss amongst ourselves, and this will be helpful in drawing people in more.

And to be honest, I wouldn't even mind so much if atheists posted in the Theists Only category so long as all such posts are made under the premise that some god exists... in other words, from a theist's vantage point.
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
A_theist
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Chicago, USA
Reputation point: 17

Re: New Discussion Categories

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:24 am

Your concern is noted.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
User avatar
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 am
Location: D.C metro Area
Reputation point: 1912

Re: New Discussion Categories

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:10 am

I agree with Chris on this, obviously. More discussion areas are eventually a must, and it seems the time is now. We need to have more areas for topics to reduce clutter and tidy up the forum.

Libraries have an organization method for easy finding of books... we should have something similar.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
User avatar
TheBlueFalconX
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Reputation point: 918

Re: New Discussion Categories

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:41 pm

A_theist wrote:This is along the lines of what TheBlueFalconX has been saying about us needing more categories - more places to put threads.

Specifically, I want to see a Discussion category for Politics, and a discussion category for Theists Only. I realize we don't have many theists, but I think there should be a place for us theists to discuss amongst ourselves, and this will be helpful in drawing people in more.

And to be honest, I wouldn't even mind so much if atheists posted in the Theists Only category so long as all such posts are made under the premise that some god exists... in other words, from a theist's vantage point.

I have already mentioned this a while ago. Instead of a Politics thread, i was thinking of our own news anchor desk and have Willow and Azmo mod the news forum (like i do with the Boom Room).

I also mentioned a theist forum. I dont think "theist only" is a good idea, but it should follow the same philosphy as the "Free-Thinkers Only". IOW anybody could post in the theist section, but only to ask questions or add pertinent info. It would not be a place for atheist vs. theist debates, but rather a place where theism is discussed without biased objection. So if i want to post about a passage in the bible, i can; but i shouldn't post in that thread just to say its wrong. The point would be to make the flowers grow, not chop off the weeds. Any debate in the Theist section could be easily split and moved to the RT vs. IB forum.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 am
Reputation point: 760

Re: New Discussion Categories

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:52 pm

H3RM3S78 wrote:
A_theist wrote:but I think there should be a place for us theists to discuss amongst ourselves,

I dont think "theist only" is a good idea, but it should follow the same philosphy as the "Free-Thinkers Only". IOW anybody could post in the theist section, but only to ask questions or add pertinent info. It would not be a place for atheist vs. theist debates, but rather a place where theism is discussed without biased objection.

I suggest the name "Believers corner"
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
User avatar
HalloweenWeed
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:22 am
Location: Maine, USA
Reputation point: 1989

Re: New Discussion Categories

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:57 am

Everything considered, a theists section would just make the site look more empty.

A_theist, if a few more theists join you may shake the 8-ball again.

As for a politics section, it seems to me that political discussion is a logical extension of the ideological confrontations that are an important part of the rational thought Vs. Irrational beliefs forum.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
User avatar
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 am
Location: D.C metro Area
Reputation point: 1912

Re: New Discussion Categories

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:34 am

Well it's either new discussion areas which disambiguate what is really supposed to be in an area or some form of topic requirements which must be posted in each needed area to reduce confusion.
Last edited by TheBlueFalconX on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
User avatar
TheBlueFalconX
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Reputation point: 918

Re: New Discussion Categories

Unread postby A_theist » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:16 am

I like the way H3RM3S put it. Everyone could post there - a place to discuss theism without everything collapsing into a debate about the existence of any deity.

Darth, I think we should create the theism section first and then invite believers. I don't think it will look empty because other people can post there.

BUT... ABOVE ALL... IF that section IS created before believers get here... we just need to make sure the atheists posting don't turn it into a theism-hate section. It needs to be a theism-discussion section that will attract theists, not cause them to look at the discussion and say "I don't want any part of this theism-hating. This place isn't worth my time"

I also vote against the name, "believers corner" lol (sorry!)
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
A_theist
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Chicago, USA
Reputation point: 17

Re: New Discussion Categories

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:00 pm

A_theist wrote:I like the way H3RM3S put it. Everyone could post there - a place to discuss theism without everything collapsing into a debate about the existence of any deity.

Darth, I think we should create the theism section first and then invite believers. I don't think it will look empty because other people can post there.

BUT... ABOVE ALL... IF that section IS created before believers get here... we just need to make sure the atheists posting don't turn it into a theism-hate section. It needs to be a theism-discussion section that will attract theists, not cause them to look at the discussion and say "I don't want any part of this theism-hating. This place isn't worth my time"

I also vote against the name, "believers corner" lol (sorry!)

Think of it as a propper guest-room. We will have all that much more to post about in the RT vs. IB forum.
Last edited by H3RM3S78 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 am
Reputation point: 760

Re: New Discussion Categories

Unread postby A_theist » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:45 pm

DUH - I almost COMPLETELY forgot about another discussion category that I think we need!

Sports!

Sports need their own category. There's too many sports to just make a thread, and if we're going to have a 'Boom Room', a category just for music... we should have one for Sports. And for that matter... 'TV and Movies' should have a category too. One thread just isn't sufficient.

These would be great categories with many, many threads in them that I, for one, can say I would be participating in FREQUENTLY. While H3RM3S is about the music, I tend to be more interested in Sports and TV/Movies/Video Games.

So how about it? This would all be so GREAT for the forum! Talk about reaching a new audience with this stuff...

When I first arrived, I always viewed this forum as being geared specifically towards religion and science, and that's how I've mostly treated it. Now I see that it can be much, much more - and I think these changes would have deep positive impacts on this forum. Let's get on board, here, :halo: and make this happen.
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
A_theist
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Chicago, USA
Reputation point: 17

Next

Return to Integration Station



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
[Valid Atom 1.0]