Changes to Profile Options

A place to suggest improvements or changes.

Re: Beleiver? Or not?

Unread postby Grimstad » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:25 am

Imagine (for the sake of argument) God came down and introduced himself to some aboriginal.
Now imagine that story gets passed along at the campfire until he finally figures out how to write it down.
Now translate that several times and you end up with "The Picard"
Yet another question that Star Trek has answered.
Of all my senses, I value my sense of humor the most

agnostic: Subcategory Apetheist.
Grimstad

Reputation point: 12

Unread postby invisible chzbrgr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:27 am

chrispalasz wrote:Is your capacity for thinking bound and strapped by the short sighted limitations that come with ruling out the existence of higher beings or is your mind free to conceive of finding a purpose in nature and to consider the existence of one or more immeasurably superior beings?

You're throwing a lot of things into one question lol.

First, the existence of a higher being would not necessarily dictate that anything has a purpose... that's an assumption you have to make. Where does it say that if there is a higher being, it must have had a plan in mind? What about a deist-type watch-winder-upper god? What about a sadistic higher being that continually makes ant farm planets, gets bored and moves on?

Just because you are bound and strapped by a conception of a god that loves you, doesn't mean that's the one that's out there. ;)

Second, my "capacity for thinking" is not entirely up to me, though I pretend it is for the sake of simplicity. You go to war with the army you have lol. My brain power might not grasp calculus, it might not grasp a deity if there is one. Whose fault is that?

I think a lot about a lot of things, and every time I think of the possibility of a higher being, I end up dismissing it even when I look at it disinterestedly.
I still think you're sweet, but you do give me the horrors. -Elizabeth Bowen, The Death of the Heart
invisible chzbrgr

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:30 am

First, the existence of a higher being would not necessarily dictate that anything has a purpose... that's an assumption you have to make. Where does it say that if there is a higher being, it must have had a plan in mind? What about a deist-type watch-winder-upper god? What about a sadistic higher being that continually makes ant farm planets, gets bored and moves on?

Just because you are bound and strapped by a conception of a god that loves you, doesn't mean that's the one that's out there. ;)

Thank you for saying it. :P
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby chrispalasz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:25 am

@Everyone

LOL! Well, thanks for all the replies, everyone! This thread was just a mockary of what is written on the "User Control Pannel >> Profile >> World View" selection!

It reads as follows:

World Views: *
Is your capacity for thinking bound by the rules of religion or are you free to think without fear of offending a god?

I finally selected the "Christian" choice after having previously refused to choose "Xtian" or make a formal distinction between a believer and a free thinker.

This thread has been my backlash at the remnant of bigotry against believers. :lol:

Good fun!

Edit: P.S.

@invisible chzbrgr

Perhaps i loved reading your post the most! So formal :D
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
chrispalasz

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:12 am

Yeah we tried to address that problem by having it changed. It seems we overlooked the description of it which I assure you wasn't my intentions in opting for the changes when we voted.

Dr... please... address this. Thanks.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:36 am

chrispalasz wrote:Is your capacity for thinking bound and strapped by the short sighted limitations that come with ruling out the existence of higher beings or is your mind free to conceive of finding a purpose in nature and to consider the existence of one or more immeasurably superior beings?

See this is what was meant by "is your capacity for thinking bound by a belief in a higher power", you must curtail your thinking on the basis of nothing more than faith in its existence. If one operates on the presupposition of a higher power through personal conviction and faith alone then the thought processes they use are by necessity, not free to contradict the faith or belief, since doing so incurs penalties from the "immeasurably superior being", of which there is no proof. FYI, this is not free-thinking, this is thinking within the constraints of the belief system. :P

@Bluefalcon: This description was already changed, the problem seems to be that the languages part of the custom profile fields doesn't reflect the changes automatically. If in future anything like this happens with other users please get them to change the language option to English UK to see if this solves the problem, as it will save me time when looking for solutions.
Cheers mate :)

I'm merging and moving this thread with the appropriate thread in the integration station if anyone wants to use any of the points in this thread as a jumping off point for discussion, please copy and paste the parts you need and start a new thread :)
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby invisible chzbrgr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:12 pm

chrispalasz wrote:@Everyone

LOL! Well, thanks for all the replies, everyone! This thread was just a mockary of what is written on the "User Control Pannel >> Profile >> World View" selection!

It reads as follows:

World Views: *
Is your capacity for thinking bound by the rules of religion or are you free to think without fear of offending a god?

I finally selected the "Christian" choice after having previously refused to choose "Xtian" or make a formal distinction between a believer and a free thinker.

This thread has been my backlash at the remnant of bigotry against believers. :lol:

Good fun!

Edit: P.S.

@invisible chzbrgr

Perhaps i loved reading your post the most! So formal :D

? wtf

So this whole thread was about the description thingie? You didn't care about the answers, you just wanted to get any answers, so you could make fun of the site? That hardly any of us even noticed because we had nothing to do with it?

If you wanted to make a suggestion about the site, or actually discuss it without deception, you could have just made a thread or pm'd an admin.

That was super lame, Chris.

EDIT: I see the thread has moved to the suggestion section... sorry everyone for my grumpiness, saw this first thing in the morning before coffee and it got my goat lol.
I still think you're sweet, but you do give me the horrors. -Elizabeth Bowen, The Death of the Heart
invisible chzbrgr

Re: Changes to Profile Options

Unread postby Grimstad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:47 am

LOL.
So does this mean Picardist can get added?

Surely I jest. But now that I think about it.
Hmmmmm.
Of all my senses, I value my sense of humor the most

agnostic: Subcategory Apetheist.
Grimstad

Reputation point: 12

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:53 am

If we're adding Piccardist, or Trekkie, I'm adding Jedi and Sith :P
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby tetropods » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:56 am

if we add piccardist then we must add kirkian
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights. :)
tetropods
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Reputation point: 500

PreviousNext

Return to Integration Station