Changes to Profile Options

A place to suggest improvements or changes.

Re: Changes to Profile Options

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:57 am

Don't forget Bakkulian
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
User avatar
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:11 pm
Location: Northern Ireland
Reputation point: 2145

Re: Changes to Profile Options

Unread postby Grimstad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:00 am

How classic.
I detect a religious war brewing
Of all my senses, I value my sense of humor the most

agnostic: Subcategory Apetheist.
User avatar
Grimstad
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington
Reputation point: 12

Re: Changes to Profile Options

Unread postby tetropods » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:01 am

dr210077 wrote:Don't forget Bakkulian

i duz not understanz :?:
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights. :)
User avatar
tetropods
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:39 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA
Reputation point: 500

Re: Changes to Profile Options

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:03 am

The new star trek show starred a guy called Scott Bakkula, (not sure if I spelt that right) as captain of the enterprise
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
User avatar
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:11 pm
Location: Northern Ireland
Reputation point: 2145

Re: Changes to Profile Options

Unread postby tetropods » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:12 am

dr210077 wrote:The new star trek show starred a guy called Scott Bakkula, (not sure if I spelt that right) as captain of the enterprise

oooo yeh but would it be Archerian (that was on scifi this afternoon, it rocks) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights. :)
User avatar
tetropods
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:39 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA
Reputation point: 500

Re: Changes to Profile Options

Unread postby MistahTom » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:33 am

Scott Bakula was also in the show Quantum Leap.

I liked that show. I also liked SeaQuest DSV.
For the same reason you reject other gods, I reject yours.

Image
Atheist
Image
Atheist
User avatar
MistahTom
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:18 am
Location: California, USA
Reputation point: 1

Re: Changes to Profile Options

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:36 am

Quantum Leap was fecking awesome, and defined my sunday night tv viewing habits for sooo long. 8pm every sunday with toast and tea, right before being shuffled to bed at 9pm by the parentals. Ah fond memories :)
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
User avatar
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:11 pm
Location: Northern Ireland
Reputation point: 2145

Re: Changes to Profile Options

Unread postby tetropods » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:41 am

MistahTom wrote:Scott Bakula was also in the show Quantum Leap.

I liked that show. I also liked SeaQuest DSV.

Sea Quest was awesome until the aliens got involved then it got weird... :D
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights. :)
User avatar
tetropods
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:39 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA
Reputation point: 500

Re: Changes to Profile Options

Unread postby MistahTom » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:46 am

Seaquest got gay after the 1st season IMO. I recently (in the past 3 months) watch all of season 1 and tried to watch season 2. The second season was pretty lame. They changed like 60% of the cast from the 1st season and the dynamics were lame after that. I will try to watch more when I get a chance though.


Robot Chicken's take on Quantum Leap

(there's a part 2 that I can't find)
For the same reason you reject other gods, I reject yours.

Image
Atheist
Image
Atheist
User avatar
MistahTom
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:18 am
Location: California, USA
Reputation point: 1

Re: Beleiver? Or not?

Unread postby no28 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:31 am

chrispalasz wrote:Is your capacity for thinking bound and strapped by the short sighted limitations that come with ruling out the existence of higher beings or is your mind free to conceive of finding a purpose in nature and to consider the existence of one or more immeasurably superior beings?


Hmmm.. more litter, me thinks!

First: the Bible claims that no man can serve two masters (Matt 6:24). False dichotomy. You all may remember this from one of my first posts about ".. the fool has said in his heart, there is NO 'god'" (apostrophes added lol). This kind of thinking basically asserts that it is one or the other. That there are only TWO masters which a man may serve or that a person who claims there is NO 'god' is a fool. Both instances ignore the concept that there actually ARE other choices to be made and discerned. In this instance, if one is not bound by the limitation of belief in 'god, then one IS bound by the 'close-mindedness' of disbelief in 'god'. This is not JUST a false dichotomy because it assumes that one is bound by one or the other (and nothing else is possible) BUT also it is one of Chris's favorite bullshit tactics of saying "Tu Quoque" or "You too"; basically, that if you accuse me (Chris) of being strapped by short-sighted (I think there is supposed to be a hyphen there genius, but I don't make the claim of being a professional writer, do I?) limitations, then I can accuse you ("You too") of the same limitations in disbelief.
Sure Chris, go ahead and cry "Tu Quoque" all you like. But IF you do, you're going against that favored third pillar of your belief. Namely, Duolos. It means "Slave" and is used repeatedly by Paul. (I Cor 7:22,23, Gal 1:10 <contradicts> 2 Tim 2:24 and more at Rom 6:6,17) To be fair, the word is also translated as 'bond servant' or one who has willingly entered into servitude BUT one difference remains, unlike a servant, a slave or duolos cannot leave when he chooses to leave and is not free to make decisions for himself. He is simply, property.
I'm quite sure this will make a nice devotional for you (Chris) but if you accept this rendition of the idea that you are 'bound' by the limitations that your 'master' has imposed upon you ('god) then why the "Tu Quoque"? You should be wearing this classification with pride but instead you argue against it along the loose lines that WE are the ones being close-minded and not honest enough to accept that there may be a 'god'. It is almost as if you bristle at the thought of being a 'slave' (duolos) of 'christ'. Are you then ashamed of the gospel of 'christ' that preaches that you have been '..bought with a price'???
(Rom 1:16, I Cor 6:19-20)
Secondly, I can't really put it any better than Dr21007:
dr21007 wrote:See this is what was meant by "is your capacity for thinking bound by a belief in a higher power", you must curtail your thinking on the basis of nothing more than faith in its existence. If one operates on the presupposition of a higher power through personal conviction and faith alone then the thought processes they use are by necessity, not free to contradict the faith or belief, since doing so incurs penalties from the "immeasurably superior being", of which there is no proof. FYI, this is not free-thinking, this is thinking within the constraints of the belief system. :P

This illustrates perfectly the contrasting ideas of a belief in something that has no proof and belief in what is provable. Moreover, others have made excellent observations along the lines that OUR views ARE mutable and open:
Foobunny wrote:However, I am still open to the possibility. Something could still prove to me that there is a god, but it has yet to happen.
Jnthn44 wrote:I have never said "there. is. no. god." or god-like thing but until one is proven to me, I'm not gonna sit here and say that i believe in one...unfounded faith is not my style :D
DarthRavanger wrote:Could a god-like entity exist? Possibly, but I'd put the probability on the low end of the scale, along with everyone's head will simultaneously explode the next time I speak.
tetrapods wrote:no matter how many people say something is true, i will not believe them unless they provide actual evidence. :D

BUT you Chris have pretty much slammed the door on rational discourse in favor of spirits and diverse manners of fantastic claims that belong more to the realm of table-top gaming than reality when you say:
chrispalasz wrote:my official claim is that "I am more sure that God exists than I am sure of anything else in my life."
You're pathetic, not because I say so, but because you would have us all believe you are willing to be rational.
(second to)...Last, you post something like this because you think you make a point along the lines of "Tu quoque". You're a miserable failure BECAUSE you think you can equate each charge against your faith as being baseless and limiting TO our own belief systems. Nevertheless, it was quite easy to quote each person all in a row basically and frankly stating that they are willing to believe if such evidence is presented that can withstand scrutiny. While we have all summarily suspended what DarthRavanger called
DarthRavanger wrote:but I'd put the probability on the low end of the scale...
, (ie - probability), we have not altogether dismissed 'gods' existence. So don't blame us if your 'god' could be hiding!
Last.. (really, my last point)
invisible chzbgr wrote:If you wanted to make a suggestion about the site, or actually discuss it without deception, you could have just made a thread or pm'd an admin.
That was super lame, Chris.
This is super-lame indeed, Chris. I feel pretty good about my analysis that you should be proud to wear the badge of doulos or 'slave' of 'christ', but you were using the whole thing as a "Tu Quoque" to try and demonstrate why we're equally misled. You not only epically fail at this (as shown above) but you reveal yourself to be a slimy snake in the process; too cowardly to speak outright of your complaint but trying to make a false-dichotomy in the process between being bound by belief in 'god' and being bound by what? 'satan'?? The whole thing was a charade of your own making wrapped in mockery and it FAILS because you do not account for other options outside of the narrow confines of your own boolian thinking! But what I really take offense to is your snide statement in response to my wife, who has been infinitely more tolerant of your bullshit than me, that her response is
chrispalasz wrote:Perhaps i loved reading your post the most! So formal :D
That deserves a big "FUCK YOU", chris. Or rather, a "FUCK YOU, TOO!".
What a strange thing it is that to give proof to the lie that a god is love, one need only to resist coercion
User avatar
no28
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:16 am
Reputation point: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Integration Station



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
[Valid Atom 1.0]