Bring back the Edit Button~ please

A place to suggest improvements or changes.

Re: Bring back the Edit Button~ please

Unread postby chrispalasz » Mon May 04, 2009 9:53 am

TheBlueFalconX wrote:My own personal solution to this is simple, but the setting up of it may not be so.

-Bring back edit button
-All edits made are restricted to TWO specific colours, a dark and light one to combat a contrast problem due to site template.
-The Original post in and of itself cannot have anything removed from it, but only added into it.

I shall make an example below. And show the edit as a reply in this same post. Observe.

the edit as seen by people after the fact wrote:___________________________________________________________________________
==================================================================
The speed of light in a vacuum has been measured to that of 300,000,000 actually 299,792,458 meters per second and is often denoted with the symbol c.
==================================================================

Although I'm in favor of just bringing back the edit button or your other solution of a forced explanation to all edits - as a distant third solution choice... this one's okay.

One problem I foresee is... what about tags? Sometimes tags need to be deleted and adding an extra tag won't really fix the problem. I don't think this problem could be addressed with this solution... :|

However - IF a spell check were added, that would preempt a lot of errors... - and IF there were somehow a way of having a button for ONLY editing tags... that would solve another 3rd of the problems... and leaving one third of all the problems that the current restrictions cause, I think would be a lot more tolerable.
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
chrispalasz

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby dr210077 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:54 am

I really don't see the problem. You have thirty minutes after posting to fix any errors in grammer or spelling, which should be plenty of time to spot any mistakes. If you use the preview function you can see any coding errors you have made before posting negating the need to edit. Is there any need to edit a post that is older than this?
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby chrispalasz » Mon May 04, 2009 1:17 pm

dr210077 wrote:I really don't see the problem. You have thirty minutes after posting to fix any errors in grammer or spelling, which should be plenty of time to spot any mistakes. If you use the preview function you can see any coding errors you have made before posting negating the need to edit. Is there any need to edit a post that is older than this?

Well, as for myself I can say that there is need for it. I often edit posts much much later than 30 minutes. Sometimes I type a hasty response and run to teach a class or something along those lines, and later go back to it the post.

As for others, I don't know if they need it - but I've seen it used before when somebody raises questions about the OP and its clarity on the topic - the person who started the thread goes back and adds an EDIT to make it more clear.

If I didn't see it as very useful and if I didn't hold the infinite edit button in such high value - I wouldn't have bothered with this thread. As it happens, though, I use it often and have found its absence incredibly inconvenient.

Sorry to put up a fuss - but I'd like to exercise my rights in making a case for the edit button. That was a great feature.

~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
chrispalasz

Unread postby dr210077 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:31 pm

I understand chris, but the only reason to edit a post should be to correct spelling or grammer. This is something that can be done swiftly as most browsers have the ability to spell check and those that do not have add on features that can. This means that only one extra click is needed to make a post that is error free. As for editing a post for clarity, it is better practice to clear up confusion in a new post, as editing the original post renders all subsequent posts pertaining to it "off kilter" for new readers.

I have been searching for quite sometime now, for a way to force timestamps on all edits, and will continue to do so. If I can find a way to reintroduce the edit function while at the same time making sure that all edits are duely recorded, I will.
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby chrispalasz » Mon May 04, 2009 1:43 pm

dr210077 wrote:I understand chris, but the only reason to edit a post should be to correct spelling or grammer. This is something that can be done swiftly as most browsers have the ability to spell check and those that do not have add on features that can. This means that only one extra click is needed to make a post that is error free. As for editing a post for clarity, it is better practice to clear up confusion in a new post, as editing the original post renders all subsequent posts pertaining to it "off kilter" for new readers.

I have been searching for quite sometime now, for a way to force timestamps on all edits, and will continue to do so. If I can find a way to reintroduce the edit function while at the same time making sure that all edits are duely recorded, I will.

ok.

Well in that case - I do have another suggestion to fix the problem. How about a SAVE DRAFT function for posts? That will fix the problems. In that case, I wouldn't publish my posts until I have them checked. 30 minutes really won't be sufficient for me...

chrispalasz

Unread postby invisible chzbrgr » Mon May 04, 2009 2:30 pm

I don't know if it's only because I use Rainbow Pearl, but I have a Save function.
I still think you're sweet, but you do give me the horrors. -Elizabeth Bowen, The Death of the Heart
invisible chzbrgr

Unread postby dr210077 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:35 pm

invisible chzbrgr wrote:I don't know if it's only because I use Rainbow Pearl, but I have a Save function.

I think all the styles have the ability to save drafts of posts

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby chrispalasz » Mon May 04, 2009 2:37 pm

dr210077 wrote:
invisible chzbrgr wrote:I don't know if it's only because I use Rainbow Pearl, but I have a Save function.

I think all the styles have the ability to save drafts of posts

Ah-hah. I see that.

I'll give that a try.

Cheerio

Edit: Please do continue to look for a way to include the edit button, though. I did enjoy that feature and see absolutely no reason why it should be taken away.

chrispalasz

Unread postby dr210077 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:44 pm

I will keep looking for a way to re-integrate the edit feature as I also think it is a good feature. Bare in mind though, that we are using the latest version of phpbb, and so finding solutions is necessarily slow. If there is anything that members really want to be edited please contact either myself or a moderator with the details of what they want changed and we'll make those changes.

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby no28 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:48 pm

TheBlueFalconX wrote:My own personal solution to this is simple, but the setting up of it may not be so.
-Bring back edit button
-All edits made are restricted to TWO specific colours, a dark and light one to combat a contrast problem due to site template.
-The Original post in and of itself cannot have anything removed from it, but only added into it.
I shall make an example below. And show the edit as a reply in this same post....

That seems fair to me. If it's possible.

dr21007]I really don't see the problem. You have thirty minutes after posting to fix any errors in grammer or spelling, which should be plenty of time to spot any mistakes. If you use the preview function you can see any coding errors you have made before posting negating the need to edit. Is there any need to edit a post that is older than this?[/quote]

Agree. Thirty minutes + the preview function should be all one needs to make sure that what they're saying is what they're saying. If a post goes beyond that 30 minutes, even if it might be inconvenient, one can still correct themselves. As TBFX pointed out, no-one here is holding posts to a high-academic standard when stating: "mistakes HAPPEN during thought processes.".

[quote="chris palasz wrote:
-Bring back edit button
..And since that time (which was quite some time ago), I have always qualified my edited posts at the bottom, stating exactly what was edite.

Oh did you? Always?
"Jesus was wrong (Prof MTH)"
-by chrispalasz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:23 am
-Last edited by chrispalasz on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
*No mention of the edit found!*
And then, of course, there was the post I responded to the OP with in which you didn't note your edits. Noting that you haven't always commented on your edits, I see no reason why we should go back to an edit button on the basis of a less than accurate statement that you always qualified your edits. Make whatever claims you want along with your accusations, they carry as much weight as your unqualified edits!

chris palasz wrote:You could easily have had proof had you bothered to quote what you were responding to in the beginning! /facepalm
That's the whole reason why I noticed the edit in the first place; because I was going back to quote you and you had changed what you had written. You keep going in circles with your accusations:
- You were "flying off the handle... again... willy-nilly... and irrationaly so." In your own words.
- you saw fit to make the accusation, probably in order to cover your tracks of carelessly misreading my post.
- you make ridiculous and unfounded accusations that have zero credibility or precedence.
- quote me. I dare you. Quote me 100% of the time, and see where that gets you. I'll give you a hint: It gets you wrong - like you are now - and like you will be in the future.
- that sure is convenient for you that you didn't quote me and I didn't note my edits, now isn't it?
-I'm sick of certain hot-headed and whimsical accusations coming back to haunt me when they're clearly wrong and can be shown to be so.
ALL of these accusations are equally baseless as responses because you edited your original comment. I would have quoted you, and was on my way to doing just that, but you changed your post and I mildly called you on it. You can go into hysterics over this if you want to, but without the original post, that's all they are: hysterics.

EDIT: Tried fixinig the last CP post but had to run to class.. Tschüss!
What a strange thing it is that to give proof to the lie that a god is love, one need only to resist coercion
no28

PreviousNext

Return to Integration Station