Bring back the Edit Button~ please

A place to suggest improvements or changes.

Re: Bring back the Edit Button~ please

Unread postby invisible chzbrgr » Mon May 04, 2009 8:37 pm

One issue with the Save button in conjunction with the Edit button, happens as explained above. If you quote someone, work on it during a day (not during work, not me, nope!) little by little, eventually when you post you might be quoting something someone changed.

Or as has happened, an inflammatory first post was changed after the flames began in subsequent posts, so the one on fire ended up all wet. I <3 belaboring metaphor.

Anyway, I am not able to relate to the absolute need for an eternal edit button; I just hit preview and if it looks weird, I change it.

If there's something important to add later than 30 mins or so, I'll make a brand-new post to clarify or whatever.... this isn't because I don't like to edit my posts, but instead because..... if you edit too long after other posts occur, then no one goes back to read your edit during a discussion. It's a ... selfish thing I guess, if I want to add more info, people are more likely to note it in a new post vs editing an old one. And I don't want anyone to miss any of my pearls of wisdom! :lol:
I still think you're sweet, but you do give me the horrors. -Elizabeth Bowen, The Death of the Heart
invisible chzbrgr

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby chrispalasz » Tue May 05, 2009 1:04 am

no28 wrote:ALL of these accusations are equally baseless as responses because you edited your original comment. I would have quoted you, and was on my way to doing just that, but you changed your post and I mildly called you on it. You can go into hysterics over this if you want to, but without the original post, that's all they are: hysterics.

In that case, what happened was you went back to quote me, realized you were wrong about what I said, got mad about it, and decided to accuse me of changing the content of my original post rather than admitting you were mistaken.

Another point is, just as you said, you went back to quote me. All that needed to be done to avoid all this was to quote me the first time you made a comment relating to what I said. It's simple. It's easy.

And you can call my defense against your desperate accusations "hysterics" if you want to, but you made a claim that you can't support > and now you seem to want to point at me to provide evidence against your baseless accusation. What you do have is a time stamp for which there are countless legitimate explanations.

How about you stop making false accusations.
Even now there's a post sitting around with butchered tags on the "Who Created the Creator" thread because I can't go back and edit it (it was my last post to you).

invisible chzbrgr wrote:Or as has happened, an inflammatory first post was changed after the flames began in subsequent posts, so the one on fire ended up all wet.

That's one possible situation - however, I'm not aware of that ever happening on any thread I've been involved in; and we shouldn't just start making rules based on possible situations.

If we DO... then what you have is a forum with rules... just like every other forum.

As it stands... what I see is happening with the rulemakers on this forum is an attitude of, "Rules are fine... but they have to be MY rules" - (which, by the way, I can relate to because that's often my attitude; and let's face it, we all like it best when we're our own boss) - but it also shows that some people are wrong about their criticism of TAA forum administrators.
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
chrispalasz

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Tue May 05, 2009 4:18 am

The edit button is not necessary after a certain time period. 3 months after making a post... is a little long to be going back and editing it. Simple thing is, the edit button shouldn't be infinitely usable.

If edits are made to a post right after it's posted, you can avoid most of the confusion or non linearity that happens. But hours later is ridiculous.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby chrispalasz » Tue May 05, 2009 5:11 am

Quick note: My posts on this thread are no longer rallies to have the Edit Button eternally available. They are simply posts rallying for a victory in freedom and reason against irrationality and hypocrisy.

TheBlueFalconX wrote:The edit button is not necessary after a certain time period. 3 months after making a post... is a little long to be going back and editing it. Simple thing is, the edit button shouldn't be infinitely usable.

Says who? YOU? Simply put: There's no good reason to have the rule, no matter what you think should or shouldn't be infinitely usable. That's just your opinion. Most people would probably not even care or have an opportunity to edit a post that's 3 months old - but somebody may well decide to do that, and what's the big deal? Nobody would even care.

TheBlueFalconX wrote:If edits are made to a post right after it's posted, you can avoid most of the confusion or non linearity that happens. But hours later is ridiculous.

There's nothing ridiculous about making edits hours or even days later - should a person deem it appropriate in an individual circumstance.

~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
chrispalasz

Unread postby chrispalasz » Tue May 05, 2009 5:34 am

On another note - in the past 20 minutes I've inadvertently found two posts of mine that have spelling mistakes that wouldn't have been caught by a spell check. Sometimes I go back and read longer posts of mine to see if it sounds clear or boring or if I could have made it more clear >> I expect this habit was picked up as a writer, since I like to write and consider myself a writer and since my degree is in Rhetoric Professional Writing. I will write a few book one of these days.

But anyway - it causes me to go back and I find mistakes that I like to correct. That's me. So the edit button RULE is probably just harming me and helping no one.

And trust me, if I make a new post with a correction every time I find one - it WILL get very annoying.

How about just giving ME the edit button back? ;) :lol:

chrispalasz

Unread postby dr210077 » Tue May 05, 2009 5:54 am

Chris, why are so averse to proof reading your posts before you make them?
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby chrispalasz » Tue May 05, 2009 7:26 am

dr210077 wrote:Chris, why are so averse to proof reading your posts before you make them?

Partly: conditioning, habit, convenience, preference... all combined with not being able to see or understand why the new change was necessary to begin with.

chrispalasz

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Tue May 05, 2009 11:52 am

They are simply posts rallying for a victory in freedom and reason against irrationality and hypocrisy.

:?
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby MistahTom » Wed May 06, 2009 5:24 am

I edited this post so I'm getting a kick...out of these replies
Last edited by MistahTom on Wed May 06, 2009 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed "I edited this post so I'm getting a kick..." to "I edited this post so I'm getting a kick...out of these replies"
For the same reason you reject other gods, I reject yours.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Reputation point: 1

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Sat May 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Chris, I'm not sorry for being partly responsible for the current 30 minute edit time limit.
As the one who complained about the lack of a last edited time stamp, I think this is a good way to deal with it until we can institute such a time stamp.

edit: Mods can also edit everyone and anyone's post whenever we want, so we really don't feel the pain.
Last edited by DarthRavanger on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: You see, the problem is that time stamps are only applied when the "Reason for editing this post" box is filled. Because of this, malicious editing can easily be done and be completely undocumented in any way, shape, or form.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

PreviousNext

Return to Integration Station