Board Maintenance and Update

A place to suggest improvements or changes.

Board Maintenance and Update

Unread postby dr210077 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:08 pm

I plan on updating the version of phpBB we're running on, at the weekend (probably Friday). As a result the board will be unavailable for the duration of the update. If everything goes smoothly it shouldn't take too long, so check back often if you can't log on. It may also be the case that some of the styles and mods we have running stop functioning after the update. There is no way for me to tell in advance what will be affected and what won't, but if you do experience any difficulties with either styles or things like the chatbox please log them and I'll try my best to find solutions. :)
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Re: Board Maintenance and Update

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Will this be a 'dry' update of a Friday Sir?
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby dr210077 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:37 pm

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:Will this be a 'dry' update of a Friday Sir?

As the Sahara
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:18 pm

Cool what sort of changes can we expect. I wont notice too much over this weekend cause I'll be at the Red Bull air race all weekend.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby dr210077 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:33 pm

This update mainly fixes bugs and security issues, so most users won't see much difference. The next release however, is a feature update, but that won't be out for a while.

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Okay, the board update from 3.0.4 to 3.0.5 has been completed sucessfully. I will use this thread to notify everyone when the next update is going to take place. :D

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dr210077 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Okay it is update time again. The update may take substantially longer than last time owing to the fact that I'll need to review all the code that has been modified, and make changes or remove features accordingly. The update will take place either this weekend or next week, but I'll let you guys know nearer the time and give you all an alternate place to hang out while the update is applied. I hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone too much :(

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dr210077 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm gonna start the forum upgrade tomorrow at about 1200 gmt. If you try to log in and can't, try going to http://www.rationalskepticssociety.com/test I will post there when the update is complete as well as sending out an e-mail to users. This update may take a day or two for me to complete due to the fact that so much of the phpbb code has been and is going to change. If the site is not online by Monday morning (gmt) don't worry too much as I have booked the rest of the week off work to try to ensure the site is online as soon as possible.

My eta for completed upgrade is 1900 hrs on Friday the 20thof November

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:47 pm

The upgrade went alot more smoothly than I thought it would. I have been through the majority of mods added too, and can only find one mod that doesn't seem to be working. The particular mod in question is a lightbox type mod that never really got used anyway, so it's no big deal.

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:19 pm

Okay, I've found a bug that means when you make a post, you're post count doesn't increment. I'll let you guys know when I've isolated and corrected the offending code. I hope this doesn't effect your enjoyment of the forum too much.

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Integration Station