Modern YouTube environment

A place to suggest improvements or changes.

Modern YouTube environment

Unread postby Seppe Cools » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:22 pm

I think, and now i speak for just the YouTube implementation on this forum but it could also be a point for the videos of LiveLeak and googlevideo ( but i haven't checked that ),
that there is a need for bigger windows now in which videos are being ran.

Some specs:

Embedded YouTube video today on this forum:

Width: 320 pixels
Height: 240 pixels

Original YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbFDMplZDs

Width: 640 pixels
Height: 360 pixels

I hope this change can be implemented sooner or later.

Bottom line: Embedded videos are way too small on the forum and should get the same Width and Height as on YouTube itself.
By creating unique stuff you are changing the future of the world forever, making your life worth lived.
Seppe Cools

Reputation point: 813

Re: Modern YouTube environment

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:15 pm

I like your idea, but that had to be the worst choice of a clip to use to prove a point. That video should never be shown above 10x10px.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Seppe Cools » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:54 pm

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:I like your idea, but that had to be the worst choice of a clip to use to prove a point. That video should never be shown above 10x10px.

Attacking Brookers is like attacking me personally :evil:
By creating unique stuff you are changing the future of the world forever, making your life worth lived.
Seppe Cools

Reputation point: 813

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:55 pm

If she's a relative I appologise, otherwise really??
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:25 pm

The reason for the size of embedded videos is that "full sized" videos look "out of place" in posts. How do the rest of you feel? Do you want full sized videos on the forum?
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:25 am

I like them the resized size, if you want to see it bigger or in HD/HQ then why not link out to the owners site? I would suggest that all links from the site be made in a new tab or window, currently they are direct links.
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:43 pm

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:I like them the resized size, if you want to see it bigger or in HD/HQ then why not link out to the owners site? I would suggest that all links from the site be made in a new tab or window, currently they are direct links.

I second that. There is no need to have full sized videos in these forums. Its really easy to simply double-click on the embedded vids to see them full screen from the source itself. Bigger embedded vids would just take up more space for little reason.

And as for opening links in a new tab, that would be a stellar idea. It would save me some trouble, especially when we exchange links in the chat-box.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:24 am

Implementation of regular size embed and link to widescreen vid:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=233&start=90#p11408

It works. And in Firefox, you can R-click and "Watch on yt", that way you get to rate it as well - that's what I always do anyway. So meh.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:47 am

I have changed the behaviour of the url tag to open a new tab for posted links, this is not a retrospective change and only affects new posted links. :)
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:06 pm

dr210077 wrote:I have changed the behaviour of the url tag to open a new tab for posted links, this is not a retrospective change and only affects new posted links. :)

Thanx dr, perhaps that should've been the default from the beginning.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Next

Return to Integration Station