Welcome, Members! What's your story?

Welcome to the Rational Skeptics Society.
Tell us about yourself here.

Re: Welcome, Members! What's your story?

Unread postby Inferno » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:30 pm

Demented cookie also makes sttevo crazy, cuz he gets hyper on too much sugar! :D
Hey DT, careful not to say anything about this "secret club" on TAA forum, apparently he'll ban you (though he didn't ban me)
Inferno

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby solvosententia » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:02 pm

Greetings fellow rational sceptics :D

my story isn't really that interesting. In my youth I explored Christianity for no other reason that simple curiosity. I was never forced into it or encouraged/discouraged to explore spirituality - I was pretty much left to my own devices on that one, something that in hindsight I am grateful for as it enabled the seeds of free thought to flow and did not feel all that obligated to follow a particular school of thought <-- which is one of my main gripes against organised religion. But I'm sure we'll get on to that elsewhere :)

In my world views thingy - I put undecided because truthfully I find it difficult and restrictive to label myself to one particular school of thought.

For a time I considered myself a Christian. At a young age I found wisdom and comfort in some of the teachings of Jesus in particular. Of course It wasn't until I became older that I started to question the validity of religious dogma and indeed literalist interpretations of the bible. After a time even a liberal approach failed to satisfy my need for answers, as a progression of which I began asking questions that members of the church community could not give satisfactory answers to (at least answers that satisfied me) which eventually lead me to abandoning the church in search of better answers. Which thus progressed into my love of Philosophy which I studied at A level and finally four years later.. will be continuing to study at university this September :D

I have already done much reading on epistemology which has now become my area of philosophical inquiry of which scepticism is a small (but significant) part of. So far none has impressed me more than Immanuel Kants' theory of 'transcendental idealism'
which is highlighted in his book 'the critique of pure reason' <-- which I'm struggling through at the moment. In it's time it was pretty radical.. Combining both empiricism and rationalism to produce a comprehensive understanding of human knowledge. Although it does have some genuine criticisms that need to be worked around. Kant is my philosophical hero - And I'm hoping at university I'll get chance to dig my heels into his ideas and pick up where he (any many others) left off.. I may well be well over my head, but meh! S'all good fun :)

hope to get into some interesting debates with you all :D
All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason. - Immanuel Kant
solvosententia

Reputation point: 950

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:08 pm

Welcome solvosententia :D Hope you enjoy it here, we're glad to have you!
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

Unread postby Exploding Aardvark » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:52 am

Hello, all. Exploding Aardvark here from there other side of the pond. I found a link to this site form a Fark user I sponsored, and found it relevant to my interests.

Personally, I am an atheist. If you want to be technical about atheism, I also do not believe in an impersonal god, or "higher power." I grew up in a Catholic family, and found the religion to be absurd as a youth. Myths, stories, legends; that is the summation of the bible in my opinion. I have studied various religions, and find all of them interesting. It is interesting to see how one impacts another, especially when distinctions are vague (Boyarin).

That is my opinion, and I will respect that of yours; dissenting or otherwise.

-Exploding Aardvark,
An economist
Exploding Aardvark

Unread postby MistahTom » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:57 am

Hey Exploding Aardvark! I finally get to thank you for the sponsor. Your name will live on in my profile as the TF cherry popper.

Welcome to the forum!
For the same reason you reject other gods, I reject yours.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Reputation point: 1

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:07 pm

Welcome aboard, Exploding Aardvark. I hope you enjoy yourself here. :)
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby Exploding Aardvark » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:36 pm

MistahTom wrote:Hey Exploding Aardvark! I finally get to thank you for the sponsor. Your name will live on in my profile as the TF cherry popper.

Welcome to the forum!

Your comments made the sponsorship well deserved. Thanks for the honor!

Azmodan Kijur wrote:Welcome aboard, Exploding Aardvark. I hope you enjoy yourself here. :)

Thanks! I am sure I will feel quite at home here.
Exploding Aardvark

Unread postby Stevo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Well, hiiidy hoo.
Im Stevo, as mentioned above by inferno.
CANT ESCAPE ME, CAN YA?!?!?

Been arguin round the web, usually at facebook and youtube, and more recently, arrogant atheist.
Also, im going to be pretty friggin insane here cos ill be venting out stupidity that i keep hearing from my religion teacher like "Moses could of lived to 900 years ago cos science shows that we got less UV rays back then, and that causes us to age" (true story).

RAmen brothers, sisters, people of a questionable nature, and those of a questionable, but too horrifying to be mentioned nature.
sup? :FSM: :FSM: :FSM: :FSM:

-Stevo

EDit: btw fellas/fellarinas who know me------YA MISS ME?
If my calculations are correct....Slinky+Escalator=EVERLASTING FUN!
Stevo

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:47 pm

Welcome to the forum, Stevo. Not sure if I knew you in the before, but I know you now and I am glad for it. :)

Pull up a chair and dig in with us. Don't be afraid to weigh in on any subject, start your own or argue relentlessly with us. That's what we are here for. You can also try out the chat - our polite verbal bear trap. :)
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:56 pm

Welcome, Stevo! sounds like you'll have some hilarious stories to tell from that teacher of yours :P i hope you enjoy it here!
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome