Welcome, Members! What's your story?

Welcome to the Rational Skeptics Society.
Tell us about yourself here.

Re: Welcome, Members! What's your story?

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Welcome Stevo. Many of us has had experiences with tAA too. I will PM you with a link to the thread(s). Be careful, tAA bans you for talking about us. :FSM: :/0:
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby Stevo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:14 am

whoa, really? harsh.
oh wells.
glad to be here
If my calculations are correct....Slinky+Escalator=EVERLASTING FUN!
Stevo

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby Azadeth » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:15 pm

I was raised Catholic in the U.S. My parents and little town church were never hardcore at all. There was no mention of hellfire, no condemnation of any other religion or people, no bashing of science, no molestation, not even any mention of abortion that I can remember. At worst, I always considered church to be boring. I have genuine sympathy for those who were shocked out of their religion by atrocities, but that's not how I found my way. After Confirmation at 14, my parents finally stopped making me go to church (I suppose they thought they "had me" then, and that Confirmation meant that I'd be Catholic forever, whether I wanted to be or not).

I see atheism as an inevitable result of critical thinking. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm exceptionally bright...and yet, I didn't decide on my atheism till I was 18 or 19. It just never occurred to me to challenge my faith. I compartmentalized it, as all religious people do, but I'm not trying to blame it on others when I say that I'm positive that had I been challenged in some way, that I would have become enlightened sooner. In America, such challenges are not common, while religious reinforcement is legion.

Even when I'd found my atheism, I was naive...in that I assumed that other atheists were rational as well. It bothers me a great deal that many are not. Some don't even want to be. As someone who values logic, it strikes me as hideously hypocritical for an atheist to laugh at the foolish claims of a Biblical creator...and then go read his horoscope or assert that 9/11 was an inside job. For this reason, I actually prefer to call myself a rationalist.

I think that delusion...any delusion...is the main force behind human ignorance and suffering, and I try my utmost to stamp it out. I've never been crazy about people, but this cause of mine has reinforced my misanthropic tendencies. This actually works out quite well, as it allows me to dispense the truth with less concern about hurting other people's feelings. This is not to say that I'm without friends, but it does mean that those I like and respect must be people who are attempting to be rational, or who at least see it as something to aspire to, and who won't throw a fit every time someone suggests that something they think might not be correct.

So I'm not a robot. I'm still human, but I try to be rational anyway :P

My most favorite prominent atheist is Richard Dawkins.
I aspire to be just like that Architect guy from the Matrix :twisted:
Azadeth

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby dr210077 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:26 pm

Welcome to the board Azadeth, and what a great first post :) I hope you find here a plethora of good conversation and something which stimulates your intellectual side. :D
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby solvosententia » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:30 pm

welcome Azadeth! you do indeed sound like you will be a welcome addition hear :)
All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason. - Immanuel Kant
solvosententia

Reputation point: 950

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Welcome, Azadeth!! i can tell from that post that you're gonna be a great addition to our little community :D i hope you enjoy it!
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:01 am

Welcome to the forum, Azadeth. I think you and I are going to get along just fine as you sound much like myself. Fallacies of logic or reason are so much horror to my eyes and I ruthlessly stamp them out when I see them. I will deconstruct anything without an evidential basis, no matter what it is or which "side" states it (atheist or theist). You sound the same. Pull up a chair and join in! :)

Please feel free to weigh in on any topic or create your own. We also have a fairly lively chat here that usually always has a member on it, so give it a whirl if you like. :D
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby Apocalypse Kijur » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi all,

I have been here for a little bit now, and never really thought to post my story. To be honest, that's mainly because AZ and I are brothers and our stories are almost identical. Obviously AZ can take the credit for attracting me here.

Born in the same place as AZ (a year and a month later), much of the same experiences (i.e. unchallenged in high school, shunned for being smart, etc...) I can't say as I ever believed any of the religion stuff, always treated it like one of the Grim's Fairy Tales (even as a child), an amusing diversion, but hardly reliable. I also hold a Bachelors in Commerce (Co-op), and have my Chartered Accountancy.

As well, as you can all see from the Logo's thread, I have an interest in 3D art. I have much of the same interests as AZ, and I can also be quite verbose about subjects that peak my interest.

I hope to continue enjoying my time here.
Apocalypse Kijur

Reputation point: 507

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:14 pm

It's so good to have you both here Apoc, and Azmo. The forum is honored with your presence, and is improved by it. Thank you for coming. And I hope you both stay a very long time.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:40 am

The only thing better than Azmo is Apoc and Azmo :D
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome