Welcome, Members! What's your story?

Welcome to the Rational Skeptics Society.
Tell us about yourself here.

Re: Welcome, Members! What's your story?

Unread postby Coordman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Hello everyone!

I guess I should start at the beginning... Once upon a time, all matter was condensed in a relatively small space under extreme pressure and...

Just kidding.

My parents separated when I was about 6. My Mom was a commited Baptist. My Dad was very anti-church. So you can imagine my childhood was pretty screwed up. My two younger sisters and I visited my Dad every other weekend, Fridays and Saturdays, and went to church with my Mom on Sundays.

I'm not sure how much the idea of "God" even registered with me back then. I have vague recollections of being semi-intrigued at some times and terrified at others. I have a distinct memory of my Mom telling me that people who attended the Masonic Temple across the street from our church were basically the same thing as satanists. (Might have been the first time I ever questioned something a christian tried to teach me)

I went to live with my Dad about the age of 9, and with my Stepmom, he began taking me to a Protestant church on Sundays, probably a result of something my Mom made him agree to in the custody arangement. I imagine we went to a Protestant church just to piss off my Mom.

During highschool, my interest in religion peaked for a different reason: Girls. For some bizarre reason, I always ended up dating girls who were heavily invested in religion. For better or worse, this resulted in me attending churches of many various faiths including Evangelical, Seventh Day Adventist and Pentacostal. I was Baptized Seventh Day Adventist. I've witnessed speaking in tongues, I've seen "spiritual laughter", I've taken part in footwashing ceremonies.

I was part of a very rare in-school christian group at my highschool called "ACTS" (Active Christians Terrorizing Satan. Cute, I know) We got away with it by including absolutely NO school faculty or officials. It was all completely student run. Was also where I met my Junior Prom date.

By the time I joined the Army in '99, I hadn't gone to church in a few years. That said, basic training has a way of bringing out the spiritual side in a person. I probably prayed for strength as much in those weeks as in all four years of highschool. At my permanent duty station, I fell into a kinda of a rhythm of going to church about once a month or so. I still prayed pretty regularly.

Then 9/11 came. There is a larger story about this that I may tell someday, but it involves politics which I'd rather avoid for the moment, and this post is already too long. I went to Afghanistan for a couple months in the spring of '02.

A few months after I returned, my 1SG invited me to come tweak an electric drum set his church had recently purchased. (Oh, yeah. I play drums.) Anyway, I ended up playing drums for his church, which as it turns out, was Pentecostal. I was a regular member of this church through the mission change from Afghanistan to Iraq, and the run-up to the '04 election. As time went by, I began to hear things that didn't make sense to me. The church praised President Bush and his glorious war in Iraq (where many of my friends were about to be deployed). They bashed gays (like my sister) and claimed that their kind were leading to the destruction of the country. They told people that they could vote for anyone they wanted in the coming election, but that they would be judged for it later. (Read "vote for the Christian or you might go to hell")

In the midst of all this, I began asking myself questions. Why have I never seen this Christian president in Church? What denomination is he? Are these people really so blind? If they are this easily fooled, what else might they believe which is not true?

At some point, I found myself lying in bed unable to sleep. And a single question arose in my head and it was like a light blinking on.

How can there be an all loving, omnipotent God? According to everything I've ever been taught, God is omnipotent. That IS how the song goes, right? "For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth." That means before he created me, he knew who I was, and therefore, how I was going to turn out. So that, in turn, means that, if I will eventually go to hell, God knew it before he created me. And, at that point, he chose to create me anyway. That doesn't sound very loving to me.

I consider that to have been the first domino in my coming to atheism and science. I've been a non-believer for about 7 years now, and I still consider myself young in it. I want to learn more, but I don't consider myself militant. I believe that we all need to learn to live together.

So my basic demeanor is to live and let live... that is until someone tries to use their own personal belief system to control or effect another person or group. That's when I believe the gloves should come off.

So, nowadays my Mom is still a commited Christian, but she's become very accepting of myself and my sister. She's what I consider a "good Christian". Set in her beliefs, but not trying to control anyone but herself.

Surprisingly, my dad has also turned "spiritual". Calls himself gnostic, though I'm not sure HE even knows what that means. This may have something to do with his getting cleaned up from addiction. He still doesn't attend church.

So, I guess I'm here to meet people, exchange ideas... Hoping I can contribute something worthwhile. Thanks for bearing with me! :)
Last edited by Coordman on Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Coordman

Reputation point: 203

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:16 am

Welcome, Coordman!

Hope you enjoy it
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:36 am

Very enjoyable post coordman. There are quite a few topics about parents' upbringings with religion and how we all progressed through life regarding the concept of religion. Political history is somewhere around here, but not very popular.

If you can't find any topic you really want to get into just dive right into the chat room and bounce some ideas off everyone.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Unread postby tetropods » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:16 pm

Welcome :D . Very interesting background :D
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights. :)
tetropods
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Reputation point: 500

Unread postby MistahTom » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:01 pm

Coordman wrote:Hoping I can contribute something worthwhile.

Good. You've been to a bunch of churches so you'll have some interesting input.
For the same reason you reject other gods, I reject yours.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Reputation point: 1

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:24 am

Coordman wrote: They bashed gays (like my sister) and claimed that...

Welcome Coordman, and BTW I love Futurama. I have a few seasons of it on DVD.
Just a quick technical detail question: Your sis is gay? Or your sis bashes gays?
Anyway, I too came from a broken family, maybe that's why I have never had kids. And my family had a screwed religion thing going on too
(you can read about it in my thread: "Whats your Theological History?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=811).
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby Coordman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:39 pm

HalloweenWeed wrote:
Coordman wrote: They bashed gays (like my sister) and claimed that...

Welcome Coordman, and BTW I love Futurama. I have a few seasons of it on DVD.
Just a quick technical detail question: Your sis is gay? Or your sis bashes gays?
Anyway, I too came from a broken family, maybe that's why I have never had kids. And my family had a screwed religion thing going on too
(you can read about it in my thread: "Whats your Theological History?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=811).

Oh wow, bad grammer. No, sis is gay. Sorry about that. :lol:

And I have all four seasons of Futurama on DVD. The dead dog episode still makes me tear up. (Just a little) ;)
Last edited by Coordman on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coordman

Reputation point: 203

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:37 pm

MistahTom wrote:
Coordman wrote:Hoping I can contribute something worthwhile.

Good. You've been to a bunch of churches so you'll have some interesting input.

I second that! Its very exciting to meet someone who's been to as many churches as i have. What's even more exciting is that you saw a bunch of stuff that even i may not have seen. I witnessed a foot-washing during a Born-Again Christian wedding ceremony. It was definately one of the most moving ceremonies i'd ever seen... followed by the most boring reception you could possibly imagine.

I encourage you to post as much as you want in the Boom Room. Perhaps a fellow musician could help add an extra touch of feeling to it.
Last edited by H3RM3S78 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby dc-10 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Hey guys,
I'm back.
After a prolonged absence due to other commitments I'm back although not sure how much I'll be posting, don't get much time.
Have been watching the boards from time-to-time glad to see the healthy debate is still alive.
Hello to all those I don't know and hello again to all those I do!
DC
dc-10

Reputation point: 3

Unread postby A_theist » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:06 am

dc-10 wrote:Hey guys,
I'm back.
After a prolonged absence due to other commitments I'm back although not sure how much I'll be posting, don't get much time.
Have been watching the boards from time-to-time glad to see the healthy debate is still alive.
Hello to all those I don't know and hello again to all those I do!
DC

hah - glad to hear it, dc! You've been missed! I'll believe the "i'm back" story when I see you post something!

Hope to catch ya around~

~Chris
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
A_theist

Reputation point: 17

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome