Recently I have read

Read a book with friends and discuss your opinions here.

Re: Recently I have read

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:42 am

I like Stephen King too, but he does require you invest a lot of time in the read. Let me know about under the dome. I liked the 11/22/63 novel. Quite a good concept.

I like the cover art for Gone, what is your thoughts on it? Is it very Maze Runner, Uglies, Hunger Games ?
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:15 pm

I tried Gone a few times, I got as far as the end of Hunger. Had to give up. Went for the Daniel Suarez, Daemon and Freedom books. They are very clever.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:45 pm

I am reading Metagame by Sam Landstrom; it has this amazing opening in chapter 10.

Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and is then heard no more: It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

So wrote Shakespeare on the subject of the human condition. Depressing, eh? Countless past generations of people all over the earth armed themselves against such unthinkable sentiment with faith, faith that life actually did have a purpose. But faith—the act of lying to oneself because it is convenient—the foundation of past religions, is no more than a historical footnote today.

We no longer need to ritualistically console each other in temples or churches chocked full of symbols and idols. God is no longer a ghost. God is no longer reduced to an imaginary guide through the inscrutable and indifferent jungle of our lives. Who can question the divinity of the OverSoul in a world where no one is hungry? In a world where sickness is a choice rather than a fate? In a world where the immortals walk among us?

--Minister A_Dude from Pulpit Archives.
UnwantedSunbeam

Previous

Return to Book Club