Sci Fi and Fantasy fiction

Read a book with friends and discuss your opinions here.

Sci Fi and Fantasy fiction

Unread postby willow » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:32 pm

Short post without much of a point I suppose :P
I just finished reading a fantasy fiction series (The Mistborn trilogy by Branden Sanderson) which was pretty good and got me thinking about the old sci-fi fantasy fiction divide.
It seems to me that the approach is similar in both cases and the common arguments made against one or the other apply to both. the main complaint that springs to mind is technology vs magic.
Often Sci Fi fans dislike fantasy fiction because it deals with magic and magical beings thus making it thouroughly improbable or impossible etc. When a fantasy writer wants something to happen or be possible, it "just is" because of magic or magical beings.
This tends to be seen, so far as I can tell, to be a simplistic cop out for fantasy authors but I find the same is true of the Sci Fi use of technology or alien races to acomplish the same feat. If you want a race of 8ft tall highly intelligent insects you say there from alpha proxima 7, and if you want faster then light travel you make a warp drive, despite these devices often being impossible they are somehow more plausable due to the use of "technology" rather then magic, as we "could" find a way to develop these things "possibly".

just rambling
Last edited by willow on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Re: Sci Fi and Fantasy fiction

Unread postby dr210077 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:52 pm

I often find sci-fi and fantasy are two sides of the same coin, a good example is Harry Potter and Star Wars. Both are almost identical when you break them down.
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Re: Sci Fi and Fantasy fiction

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:39 pm

The important part to remember in both is the word FICTION. Does not matter if you want to pit Star Trek against Shrek. Currently there are no warp drive star ships or mutated humans called ogres.

The point of any story is to immerse the reader and if for the time I read a novel I can believe the authors world then it's good enough for me. What were the books Willow?
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Return to Book Club