Recently I have read

Read a book with friends and discuss your opinions here.

Recently I have read

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:53 pm

I have owned a kindle for a month now, and it does make reading a lot easier for me. Books used to be a formal process, reserved for weekends or holidays. However reading now, is like music in MP3, I flit. One track her, half album there, you get the idea.

I am neither going to recommend nor critique, instead I am going to ramble (briefly) about some of my recent reads:

Run For Your Life - James Patterson
Worst Case - James Patterson

2nd & 3rd Mike Bennets. Irish / New York type Alex Cross. In his usual way you find a hook on about chapter 3 and I am in. Short chapters, leave more half pages of padding that I cared to count. I guess if you like Patterson's previous works go for it, he has just kept the same old style that I, personally, love.

Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill

The influence of Stephen King was present in the story, similar plot devices were used. As my first ever read of horror style novel it worked OK. I am working myself up to IT, my keep it in the freezer book, f*cking clowns! So with out a bench mark, I can confirm it is a little chilling at time, but also the realms of reality are stretched a little far. This makes it safer as I could not suspend reality to get deep into the plot.

Play Dead - Harlan Coben

Had I skipped the preface, that explained this was one of his very early works, I would have hated this story. However I can forgive the holes, and visible plots in the interest of seeing how his craft has evolved. On a scale of 1 to "The Woods" this is a 2 but I am glad to have read it.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

So. I skipped over this for months. I thought it was chick lit. Book, judging, cover; guilty. Then I head the magic words "awesome female hacker". I am a shallow geek at heart so off I went. This one is a slow burner, first third is like grandma walking on the ice, slow. However it has an odd quality, the pace is appropriate for the characters. So with a cast that is as easy to remember as Ikea furniture names I kept at it and it is worth the effort. So much so I read the sequel after a quick interlude of Harlan.

Caught - Harlan Coben

Better than Play Dead, not as good as his others.

The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larsson

Old Steig can spin a yarn, and he takes his time at it again. However I was relieved when the story stood up. I was worried that it would be like Michael Connelly and always referring back to past works. Not the case, the references were appropriate and short.

Spying in High Heels (High Heels Mysteries) - Gemma Halliday

Free girly detective book, what the hell it was free. More "OMGs" and talk of shoes than I could handle, but enough turns in the plot to keep an interest to the end. Would not pay for sequels though.

So I am stuck for my next choice : Agatha Christie or Khaled Hosseini.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Re: Recently I have read

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Five Little Pigs - Agatha Christie

Not really what I was expecting. Devilishly twisting plots and a finale that was to make me audibly gasp; was my expectation. However I got a liner plot line, and too many Miss, Mrs and Mr variants than my short attention span could carry. I judge by modern fictions high standards, I think I may try a later one of her novels before throwing in the towel.

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

Like when I watch movies, I hate to know anything about them. Nothing not even the baritone synopsis man who always alludes to a season before telling the best of the plot. Anyway knowing nothing of this I leapt in and was hooked. Characters in surrounds far apart from any I have experienced and yet familiar to me too. Almost instantly off to Amazon for the 2nd book by Khaled.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:29 pm

i finally got around to reading Letter to a Christian Nation but found it very underwhelming... God is Not Great is next on that list so I hope it's better.

CURRENTLY reading the Thursday Next series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thursday_Next

there are 6 books. i just finished the first. lawd help me.
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Recently read a couple

Enders Game - interesting, but the amount of supposed knowledge these kids were supposed to have was a bit of a stretch for me. Still liked it.

Lord Fouls Bane - Pretty good, but the author tries desperately to make the main character an unlikable ass. Succeeds too - maybe a bit too well.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:14 pm

In Arthur's Shadow.

Written by Gary Bannister and it's pretty much all about Arthur Jones as a man, inventor, scientist, genius, etc.
Jones is a virtual unknown now but makes pretty everyone else look like a foolish charlatan when it comes to exercise. Makes stuff like P90X look like a comedy sketch.

Currently reading a book compiled with H.L. Mencken's articles, essays, editorials, etc. Best writing I think I've ever read.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 am

just got done with all of The Wicked Years books by Gregory Maguire. also read the Maze Runner trilogy...currently slogging my way through the Game of Thrones series A Song of Ice and Fire
Jnthn44

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 am

Jon what is the Maze runner like? I was told it was a good read if you liked The Hunger Games? I have read 11-22-63 from Stephen King and I really liked it(Despite the MM-DD-YY title format!). It has got a lot of bad press but I found it very clever. Got me 1 step closer to reading IT. I Fucking hate clowns.
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:12 pm

YAY read IT. Only took 21 days ! Clowns are pussys :D.

I read the Maze runner too Jon, I was not wowed. But I am glad I did them.

I have read a lot of the Jack Reacher stories by Lee Child; and I am stunned by the story that Tom Cruise is to play him. FFS they should have asked Lady Ga Ga. The casting agent for that needs shot, stoned, burned, tortured, and shot some more.
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri May 11, 2012 9:01 pm

It makes me sad
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:35 am

gurrdness gracious, what have i read.....

just finished Gone by Michael Grant, it was pretty good
reading that made me buy Under The Dome by Stephen King which is about 1100 pages -_-
The Long Walk by Stephen King was wwwweird
Jnthn44

Next

Return to Book Club