"The Life of Pi"

Read a book with friends and discuss your opinions here.

"The Life of Pi"

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:35 pm

This topic is for discussing the book, "The Life of Pi". It is also the first book chosen by the RSS book club :D
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Re: "The Life of Pi"

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:45 am

I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby Inferno » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:35 pm

Right, well, what a book. What can I say except nothing? I don't know what to say...

OK I'll start off with the story: He eats tigers shit at one point. Sums up the whole thing. I mean the story is strange and nice at the same time, he gives some wonderful examples of evolved animals (Though he doesn't seem to notice) but the guy (Pi that is) is just plain weird. The 3 "priests" somewhere in the middle were correct: You can't adhere to those three religions (Hinduism, Christianity and Islam, in order of appearance and conversion) at the same time. They are 100% incompatible. He is some kind of weird Theist with no sense of coherence, he builds his own religion yet still sticks to the fundamentals of the other three...

Though if the story really happend (I don't presume it did, did it?) then that guy just showed how we have retained the properties of our ancestors, thus evolving but not having evolved far enough yet to not still have similar traits. He survived because our body was/is supposed to live through famine and a huge portion of luck he had too. That is why we build up fat. And he also survived because he knew something about animals. He wouldn't have survived if he didn't know those things. I for example would have been killed on the 5th day MAXIMUM. Though I probably would have drowned on the ship, because those Chinese sailors wouldn't have managed to throw me off board. :P Anyway, IMHO at no time do we see a sign from God, on the contrary I would rather say (Would I believe it) that we see signs of Satan. When the tanker passes him, when the other sailor comes to him...

Also, I'm not too sure about animals being "happy" when they are in zoos. Maybe I am biased, but having seen a few movies, animals DO LOOK like they suffer... But then I didn't grow up in a zoo...

And last but not least, a few memorable quotes:
Mr. Kumar apparently (The Atheist one) wrote:There are no grounds for going beyond a scientific explanation of reality and no sound reason for believing anything but our sense experience. A clear intellect, close attention to detail and a little scientific knowledge will expose religion as a superstitious bosh. God does not exist.

Pi's Father wrote:Tigers are very dangerous.
(Well no shit, I thought they were cute little cats with fluffy fur... Had to include that one...)

Anyway I thought the story was fun/disgusting/strange/interessting, but at no mean did it (As the reviews state)
NYT Book Review wrote:(...)renew your faith(...)
In this case mine of course...

Hope I havn't forgotten anything...
Inferno

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby Inferno » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:03 am

Well it's been almost a month now, have almost finished the Guide to the galaxy (First three parts) and waiting for you guys. Bumpedy bumpedy bumpedy bump. :ugeek:
Inferno

Unread postby notma » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:11 am

what? who moved the goalposts when did we start reading Hitchhiker?
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby Inferno » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:49 pm

notma wrote:what? who moved the goalposts when did we start reading Hitchhiker?

Well we didn't, but reading time should be over by now... And since hitchhiker is next on the list...
Inferno

Unread postby notma » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:21 pm

Is it your first time reading Hitchhiker, if so what do you think of it so far
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Unread postby Inferno » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:31 pm

notma wrote:Is it your first time reading Hitchhiker, if so what do you think of it so far

tell ya when we're reviewing it :) Yeah I'm a Hitchhikers Virgin :P
Inferno

Unread postby notma » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Inferno wrote:
notma wrote:Is it your first time reading Hitchhiker, if so what do you think of it so far

tell ya when we're reviewing it :) Yeah I'm a Hitchhikers Virgin :P

No I hate waiting. Are we there yet?
notma

Unread postby willow » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:42 pm

Hmm..
i finished life of pi about two days ago i guess, took a bit longer then i thought. and sad to say im skipping hitchhiker in favour of 3 other books :P dr zhivago, being the one im on now.

Im horrible at reviews etc because i never know what to focus on, so blah

the book was good, i liked it over all it was kinda light and upbeat in a way which is odd given the subject matter.

i think the part that might be construed as a sign from god is the island, its description of a sugary liquid which sustaind Pi smacks of "manna" from heaven.

i think the power of the book comes in the last few chapters, mostly after hes been washed ashore in his discussions with the japanese, especially there arguments about knowledge based on pure "fact" its not an argument against reason or logic, just an example of how obsessive scientific materialism can miss the truth because it doesnt conform to expectations or "believability"

the second story as well. which was more believeable? the tiger or the cook? which was more compelling? the second is the more important question i think. but why is it more compelling?
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Return to Book Club