Topic Example

Read a book with friends and discuss your opinions here.

Topic Example

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:16 am

Hello everyone,

[I would ask all new members of the Book Club to, please, read this post till the end, to get a full idea of how to format your topics and replies in the Book Club... Or, at least, take a look at the General "Rules" that are listed numerically at the end of my message.]

Here is an example of how threads should be started and continued within the Book Club, with the exception of a couple of threads (i.e. "Recommendations" and "Interesting Quotes"). "Rules" will be mentioned along the way (the post example is a rule in itself)- and listed at the very end of this post. I hope they will help revive this sector of our society, which could be an amazing resource for all of the other forums. In my opinion, if a format is maintained- for practical purposes so that our focus is not perpetually lost- there is much hope here.

Note: If you have any suggestions in regards to modifications, or improvements that should possibly be made, please post them here. Please, do not post to my following example- if this subject interests you, I shall add it as a topic afterward. This post is not for this topic example's end.

Thank-you all for your upcoming investment here- it will be a worthwhile journey together into the realms of many pages and thoughts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting a thread

Subject: Society Against the Individual:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (by Robert Pirsig)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (by R. Pirsig) is not a novel for the Hollywood story reader (or movie watcher). It does not have a fancy ending, and is not likely to be read to the end if misunderstood along the way (reading about the author's life may help to take advantage of Bob's first novel, as it is a psychological autobiography of the first part of his life). However, if one does dig deeper and take in the over-analytical bifocal mind the main character offers, there is much this story critics. Among other things: the way society destroys the individual...

The main character being schizophrenic is split in half. One side of him was liberated, but restrained by the limits of society; the other enslaved himself through fear, of the stereotypes of society, but found some kind of freedom in his mind- a location no one could ever really find him, despite how hard some looked or wanted to find him (Chris, his son, for example)...

I found this social critic rather interesting, because indeed society, governments, elites, religion, media,.... all this repetition around us, all these impressions of what truth is, and how people should appear to be, look, think.... the methods of oppression are numerous; so are their consequences.

At what cost and extend are we allowing society's different aspects to mold (at times even sacrifice) our individuality?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posting a reply to the thread starting example above

Subject: The Consumption of the Female Sex:

The Edible Woman (by Margaret Atwood)

I have not read ZAMM by R.P. However, I have read the Edible Woman by M.Atwood, and found a few parallels with your post.

Indeed the individual is being devoured by society, however, I have found that women have been fighting against this suppression for much longer, and still doing so... M. Atwoods outlook on it for example, in this particular novel, involves the changing function and statut of women at the beginning their lives, till their middle-age in regards to friendship, work, marriage, children (keep in mind that it was written around the 1970s like ZAMM - maybe the end of the 60s, start of the 70s, was the main starting point for the spread of light bulbs in regards to who we are, and what we should truly be thinking of protecting more crucially in modern times...)...

To get a better idea, of M.A.'s opinions, if you're interested, I'd recommend reading the book itself- however, I do warn you, it is one of her earlier works. Thus, it is passionate as she is, but somewhat slow. If anything, the parts I liked most where between the lines, in Marian's crazy states (dust bunnies, and fences...), in Aisley's impulsion (if only for her outstanding independence), Duncan's insanity, and the cake made in the end... Apparently, Alias Grace is her best work- but that is beside the point- even if she most probably speaks of the female suppression in there as well (she's a bit of a feminist).

Other references (mentioned in this post): Alias Grace (by Margaret Atwood)

General Rules to keep in mind, along with the post and thread formatting mentioned in the above examples:

1- When starting a thread, make sure to format your subject in the following manner: "General Topic" (Put the "Title of main book discussed in your post" (by "Name of the author") in bold at the the very beginning of your post.)*

2- When replying to a post, make sure to format your subject, and start of post, in the same manner. However, the topic must be directly related somehow to the starting topic, even if the main book discussed in your post is different. (In other words, specify in your post the pertinence of your topic to the threads main topic.)

3- If any other books or authors, or even events, are referred to in your post, please mention them at the end of your post in bold: "Other references: ...." In this way, all can benefit from quick reading recommendations, and a general idea of where you are going with your point.

4- If you quote a book, author, or other- please quote them appropriately as you do your forum friends: "Robert Pirsig wrote: ...." OR "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (p. 124): ...." Also make sure that the quote is accurate. Otherwise, it is preferable that you simply paraphrase.

5- It would be appreciated if ALL posts can follow this format as much as possible; those that wonder away from the main topic, shall be either removed, or asked to be modified.

Note: A deriving topic should not be put into an existing thread- one should create a new thread instead, even if it is from the same book. (i.e. Shogun, by James Clavell, could been used to discuss culture shock, as well as any of the following subtopics (depending on how the topic is formulated) or other topics: the value of life, western vs oriental religious beliefs, the power struggle of the government vs the clerical elite, etc.).

6- Respect shall be maintained between all of the members and their opinions, but that is without saying I think.

Take care everyone, and thanks again in advance for your investments.

Zo3

*This modification was made, because the subject area doesn't allow enough characters to display, and loses, in consequence, part of the essential information that needs transmission from the start, to the reader...
Last edited by Zo3R3tZo on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Les possibilites de la réalité sont infinies. Seules nos pensées nous empêchent de voir une autre perspective...
Zo3R3tZo

Reputation point: 205

Return to Book Club