Recommendations*

Read a book with friends and discuss your opinions here.

Recommendations*

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:59 pm

Hello everyone,

For those who do not necessarily want to start a thread, or write a novel in regards to one, to start a discussion, debate or database; for those who simply wish to share/recommend a title or author; and for those who are not sure what to read next....

This thread is for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I would ask that you put the recommendation in BOLD in your post: the author(s) must be mentioned. As for the title(s), it is preferable if you do as well, but it is not mandatory for this thread.

You may also add a brief comment with an overview of the genre, type of story, or story itself; or the reasons why you are recommending it.

Thank-you all for sharing.

Zo3.
Last edited by Zo3R3tZo on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Les possibilites de la réalité sont infinies. Seules nos pensées nous empêchent de voir une autre perspective...
Zo3R3tZo

Reputation point: 205

Re: Recommendations

Unread postby willow » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:30 pm

Hmmm...Russian, Japanese, Scottish, Portugese, French, British, American

* denotes part of a series

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDITOR's NOTE: this post has been edited, to make it more useful for those interested in the information brought to the table, and the writer has been informed. I, the moderator, would also like to add a few urls to complete this first recommendation list, which I thank willow to have shared with us, and hope will be followed with more in the future, which may follow this polished example. If mistakes have been made, notifying me would be appreciated. Thank you all for your understanding (and eventual participation) on this regard. Also note Canadian members that I have used Amazon.COM as a main source, but recommend, for shipment reasons, Amazon.CA, or otherwise (for all users) that you find an e-book link instead.

http://www.fyodordostoevsky.com/
http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/fdosto.htm
http://www.irvinewelsh.net/
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/
Last edited by Zo3R3tZo on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: To ease accessibility to further information.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Re: Recommendations

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:34 pm

Soon, I will share a passage from one of his books in a new thread, but for now here is a list of novels I recommend anyone interested in spirituality to read.

They are listed in chronological order (from most recent, to oldest). Also note, that those that aren't in bold I have not read (yet), and those with a * I recommend more-so than the others:

Paulo Coelho
      The Winner Stands Alone(2008)
      The Witch of Portobello (2006)
      Like the Flowing River (2006)
      The Zahir (2005)
      *Eleven Minutes (2003)
      *The Devil and Miss Prym (2000)
      *Veronika Decides to Die (1998)
      The Manual of the Warrior of Light (1997)
      Love Letters from a Prophet (1997)
      The Fifth Mountain (1996)
      By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept (1994)
      Maktub (1994)
      *The Valkyries (1992)
      O Dom Supremo: The Greatest Gift (1991)
      Brida (1990)
      *The Alchemist (1988)
      *The Pelgrimage (1987)
--------------------------------

His official website: http://www.paulocoelho.com/engl/

Also recommended (though, I'll admit, I've not had the time to read yet, because it hadn't been translated into a language I could read yet), the recent biography of P. Coelho, written by Fernando Morais: The Magician.

A good read to you all!
And a Happy Halloween!

Zo3.
Les possibilites de la réalité sont infinies. Seules nos pensées nous empêchent de voir une autre perspective...
Zo3R3tZo

Reputation point: 205

Re: Recommendations*

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:49 am

Belfast Confidential - Colin Bateman

I read this book on a recent trip, and although it is written by a Northern Irish writer a lot of the humor translates well.

The plot is fairly simple, bad guys, good guys, swearing and pints of Harp. I really hate to know much about a story or film before I start, however I have included the publishers notes if you want to know a little before starting it.

Really it is loosely based on Belfast life, there are some real people and places mentioned in it, and at times I had to stop reading because of stomach cramps from laughing
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Return to Book Club