What is the point?

An area for free-thinkers to discuss and exchange ideas.

Re: What is the point?

Unread postby solvosententia » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:18 am

Indeed sentience comes as somewhat of a paradox. Especially if you're a functionalist and believe that everything in the universe including ourselves is simply a mechanical process that could not have ever been any different. It does beg the question what the hell is the point. I can't tell you what such a thing is because ultimately it's for us to discover by ourselves.. or ignore at our leisure - For me however therein lies the beauty of our existence. There will always be mystery that drives our nature to explore and discover, even within our tiny insignificant shells there is so much potential to effect our immediate environment, including those who are close to us; one way or the other. Even if it seems like in the grand scheme of the universe, such action will be long forgotten and insignificant. It doesn't matter, because by upholding your humanity to it's fullest potential, you create a stepping stone for future generations to continue on our never-ending voyage of discovery. For me I take great comfort in the fact that my existence is not merely for the benefit of myself. I suppose the real question when you ask yourself why, should actually be why not? After all, a wise person once said, you're a long time dead. :) xx
All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason. - Immanuel Kant
solvosententia

Reputation point: 950

Unread postby Seppe Cools » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:55 am

The point? Multiply!
By creating unique stuff you are changing the future of the world forever, making your life worth lived.
Seppe Cools

Reputation point: 813

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:15 am

What is the point?

I've zoomed by this thread a couple of times, but for some reason only this time did I find an inspirational thought to answer with:

As moderator of the Book Club, my answer would have to be that there is never just ONE point. As a novel, every aspect of Life and individual development must have various angles, bumps in the road, plots, pushes, goals, twists... in the end, a compilation of sentence after sentence, paragraph after paragraph of points...

Willow has a hard time finding open questions and themes when he reads something, making it difficult for him to post a thread appropriately in the Book Club, but really I can understand the challenge- it is the same one as this particular "what is the point?" matter:

How can one define, or put in the spotlight properly, an entity that is full of resources, possibilities, perspectives, depths...? If an intellect can't sum up in one sentence and point the inquisitions brought forth by one author, can one expect anyone to trace a frame around something so immense and largely misunderstood as Life?

Personally, I'd think not- but I suppose the minimum amount of answers to an apparently rather simplistic question, basically tells a similar story.

Zo3.
Les possibilites de la réalité sont infinies. Seules nos pensées nous empêchent de voir une autre perspective...
Zo3R3tZo

Reputation point: 205

Unread postby shawna » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:01 am

HalloweenWeed wrote:
BTW, ever thought about having an affair shawna? Wanna do it? No, I wouldn't really do that, however much I may fantasize about it, because most of all I care about my wife's emotions. I would not hurt her like that. She expects to have me exclusively and to the death, has put her life's work into that, as I have, and I will not let her down.

Of course I've fantasized about being with other people, but like you, I'm very loyal and wouldn't ever want to do that to my husband. Besides, dealing with one relationship's emotions is quite enough for me.

HalloweenWeed wrote:
But I don't know what I will do when she dies (if she dies first). Then I will be in emotional trouble.

yep, same here. One of my greatest fears is losing someone I love. I don't know what I'll do if my hubby dies first. But then I don't know what he would do if I did. I hope we die together.

HalloweenWeed wrote:[b]I am really curious about your thoughts on this shawna, how does it change your philosophy regarding this? Don't you get something great out of life when you look into your child's eyes and converse philosophically, or when they are experiencing joy and happiness?

Absolutely. Having a child changes everything. It makes you see what is truly important. But it still doesn't stop me from having these instances of thinking "what the hell are we even doing here???" I can't seem to get my original point across for some reason...the words are eluding me. I mean, I understand that, right now, in the moment, we should have fun and enjoy things because, well, it's either that or be unhappy. But sometimes, I just kind of zoom out of my own life, and of this instant, and of this year, and of this century, and of this era even, and I wonder what the point of our lives will be in the end of all things (if there is an end of all things). I guess I'm trying to say, so what if we suffer? It might suck now, but what will it matter in the end? So what if I raise my kid to be the biggest selfish asshole in the world? I'd be a bad parent, but what the hell does it matter once all life on this planet is dead? When I start to look at things from a wider angle, this is what happens in my mind.

HalloweenWeed wrote:I would think you have much more to live for than I do for that reason. Don't you really want bad to see what happens to your children, and their children? To follow their lives, to hear about their joys and life experiences? Doesn't that make you feel more meaning to life, regardless of the bigger picture of all time and the universe?

I absolutely do. I mean, when I zoom back in to my own life and this minute, and today, I am so happy and I love my life. I live to see my son's silly dances and the new words he learns, and I love spending my time with him. I can't wait to see who he grows up to be. I have a daughter on the way too, and that brings me tremendous excitement. And these things do give me meaning and purpose, but it's once I start looking at the bigger picture that I sometimes wonder what meaning and purpose are really worth, in the grand scheme of things. And really, they're worth absolutely nothing outside of my own mind. I just need to stop looking at the bigger picture, I suppose!

HalloweenWeed wrote:
Does this help? Did I tell you anything you did not already realize? I'm sorry it isn't more, if that doesn't seem enough.

You've all helped me to realize that I need to just stop thinking of things in this perspective. Things truly are meaningless, and there is absolutely no point to anything we do. But that's how it is, and unless I'm going to commit suicide, I have to live with it!!
"No simplicity of mind, no obscurity of station, can escape the universal duty of questioning all that we believe." -W. K. Clifford
shawna

Reputation point: 100

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:40 pm

"The point of life is the living of it"

A favorite of mine and a saying that I find some measure of comfort in, even if I am uncertain as to its source. The meaning of life is to live that life and then be no more. The thought of everything needing a point is, at its root, an argument from the philosophy of existentialism - that there is nothing outside of yourself and that nothing has any point as a result.

I am an atheist and a hard rationalist. I only believe in the physical realm so this is all that there is. No afterlife, no before and no after. One might entertain thoughts of self destruction at the seemingly meaningless phase that is your existence on this planet and in this reality. But that ignores so much of the amazing beauty and sheer, incomprehensible chance that you are here to enjoy it. To think, the processes in your body are those of a finite machine, an automation of chemicals and scant minerals, that has come together to perform a function. A function with no design and no real point, a function that is, at its base, directionless. You are the result of a chain of trillions of processes and billions of years of activity culminating in the collection of assorted elements to form you. You, for whom the fact that you exist, is a knowledge you can realize consciously. You know you are alive, you know you are conscious, you know you are intelligent. Think of how lucky you are to have that knowledge. Yes, it is transient and yes, you will one day cease to function and be no more. But until then, I say enjoy it. Evolution gave you the ability to find stimulus that the bodies neurons and the brains interpretations see as pleasureful in some manner or another, so indulge in that. Read a good book, write a great novel, have children, live alone as a creepy hermit, make a famous play, play a good video game, and enjoy it. It does not last forever and you can't lament it when it's gone.
Last edited by Azmodan Kijur on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby shawna » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Azmodan Kijur wrote:"The point of life is the living of it"

A favorite of mine and a saying that I find some measure of comfort in, even if I am uncertain as to its source. The meaning of life is to live that life and then be no more. The thought of everything needing a point is, at its root, an argument from the philosophy of existentialism - that there is nothing outside of yourself and that nothing has any point as a result.

I am an atheist and a hard rationalist. I only believe in the physical realm so this is all that there is. No afterlife, no before for me and no after. One might entertain thoughts of self destruction at the seemingly meaningless phase that is your existence on this planet and in this reality. But that ignores so much of the amazing beauty and sheer, incomprehensible chance that you are here to enjoy it. To think, the processes in your body are those of a finite machine, an automation of chemicals and scant minerals, that has come together to perform a function. A function with no design and no direct, a function that is, at its base, directionless. You are the result of a chain of trillions of processes and billions of years of activity culminating in the collection of assorted elements to form you. You for whom the fact that you exist is a knowledge you can realize consciously. You know you are alive, you know you are conscious, you know you are intelligent. Think of how luck you are to have that knowledge. Yes, it is transient and yes, you will one day cease to function and be no more. But until then, I say enjoy it. Evolution gave you the ability to find stimulus that the bodies neurons and the brains interpretations see as pleasureful in some manner or another, so indulge in that. Read a good book, write a great novel, have children, live alone as a creepy hermit, make a famous play, play a good video game, and enjoy it. It does not last forever and you can't lament it when it's gone.

Okay, you win! That was one of the best motivational speeches an atheist could ever read! Do you mind if I copy it and save it? I might even repost it on facebook (I'll give credit to you, of course).
"No simplicity of mind, no obscurity of station, can escape the universal duty of questioning all that we believe." -W. K. Clifford
shawna

Reputation point: 100

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:33 am

I'm going to spread this to face book as well. Giving full credit to you Azmo.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks to both of you. I am flattered. Feel free to copy and share it. Might want to use it as it is now as I corrected a pair of minor grammatical errors. :)
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby Grimstad » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:15 am

What makes you think there is a point, or for that matter, why there should be one. What is the point in a single blade of grass's existance?
I replied to this same question on another forum with this.
Get yourself a cat and live with it for a year. At the end of that year look at your cat and ask, what's the point of his existance?
There is your answer.
Of all my senses, I value my sense of humor the most

agnostic: Subcategory Apetheist.
Grimstad

Reputation point: 12

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:49 pm

Nice to see you again Grim!^^
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Previous