What is the point?

An area for free-thinkers to discuss and exchange ideas.

What is the point?

Unread postby shawna » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:02 am

Every day, I wake up with all these goals to accomplish. I am in school, almost done with my Bachelor's degree, I work part-time, I try really hard to be a great mother and wife, I have strong political views, I read a lot, I write, but sometimes I think of things from a different perspective. I zoom out of my own life and I look at things in terms of the history of life on this planet, or the history of the universe period. And that always leads me to the question - what is the point? Why do I even care about being happy or raising my kid(s) the specific way I want? Of course, we have to be here, so we should make the most of it, but why? I mean, whether you're happy or not, you're going to die, your kids are going to die, and all life on this planet is going to die one day. So what the hell is the point? Ah, isn't consciousness such a wonderful thing?? :P

I'm by no means suicidal, and these thoughts usually pass through my brain pretty quickly. I realize that it's human nature to survive and happiness increases the chances of survival; I mean I get the biological explanation for why we do what we do. I guess I'm just wondering what you guys tell yourselves when you have these types of thoughts.
"No simplicity of mind, no obscurity of station, can escape the universal duty of questioning all that we believe." -W. K. Clifford
shawna

Reputation point: 100

Re: What is the point?

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:25 am

As far as suicide goes thats not an option until my mother dies. I dont want to put her through that. Afterwards i might consider commiting seppuku. I'll need a second to chop my head off before i lose my nerve as i gut myself with a blade. Either that or keep on living and trying to make the world a better place in my own way. But i've always wonderred if i could pull off a good face when i die. Who knows? And who cares? Life is really just a curriosity and/or a chore. There is no point: only a sense of duty and/or wonder.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:26 am

Because it's FUN.

And when it's not fun anymore, I do something else.

And maybe, just maybe when the kids are over 15, you might get some regular sleep again.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby shawna » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:39 pm

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:Because it's FUN.

And when it's not fun anymore, I do something else.

And maybe, just maybe when the kids are over 15, you might get some regular sleep again.

Okay but what's the point of having fun? I mean in the end, what's the difference between suffering and having fun, if the result is the same - we all die? Why even try to have fun?
"No simplicity of mind, no obscurity of station, can escape the universal duty of questioning all that we believe." -W. K. Clifford
shawna

Reputation point: 100

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Just the ease of the journey.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby notma » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm

I think you have to create your own point. That's kind of part of the whole atheist thing, your life, your choice, your point, problem is, it's limited time offer and only one per customer.
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Purpose in life is one of the highlights of being religious. Being atheist requires use of your own imagination. Having projects hopes and dreams may help.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby Eve M. Faith » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:16 am

To mirror others...there is no inherent point. You make your own - the same way that we choose our careers, spouses, or not to have either, etc. It makes knowing that a great many people on this world spend most of their time here suffering harder to take that's for sure. As for why we bother...why not? What else have we got to do? I would hope that any given person with children has them because they wanted them. All part of the fun of it. I just relax and have a good time of it. Learn, grow and enjoy! The fact that it doesn't amount to anything in the end doesn't concern me.
There was a young man from Glenglozle
Who found a remarkable fossil
He deduced from the bend And the wart on the end
'Twas the peter of Paul the Apostle
(unknown)
Eve M. Faith

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby willow » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:17 pm

to paraphrase myself and I'm sure many others before me "life has no meaning except that which can be derived through ones own personal experience"
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Guess what, I have been pondering this for over three decades. I will reveal my conclusions so far, below.

shawna wrote:Okay but what's the point of having fun? I mean in the end, what's the difference between suffering and having fun, if the result is the same - we all die? Why even try to have fun?

Having fun is good because it is fun - enjoyable. We have fun because we like to, therefore fun is good. And personally I have more fun when I am having it with someone else that I like. That makes me feel good - and that makes it worth doing. I feel the most depressed when it has been a long time since I had fun with someone else - it's hard for me to find someone else who has fun with me, with similar likes.

Eve M. Faith wrote:As for why we bother...why not? What else have we got to do? I would hope that any given person with children has them because they wanted them. All part of the fun of it. I just relax and have a good time of it. Learn, grow and enjoy! The fact that it doesn't amount to anything in the end doesn't concern me.

Well said Eve, agreed.

Yes, to me life is like a roller coaster ride, just have fun with it and not knowing what comes next is the funnest part. But most of all, other than playing computer games, I like deep philosophical conversations with people, preferably women, but I would prefer to look into their eyes when conversing with them - unfortunately I don't get this opportunity often, since I don't cheat on my wife. And I have already exhausted those philosophical conversations with my wife, they are less satisfying now.

We live for the emotion, to have those emotions. Without them, we are but machines just existing and doing what we are programmed to do. BTW, ever thought about having an affair shawna? Wanna do it? No, I wouldn't really do that, however much I may fantasize about it, because most of all I care about my wife's emotions. I would not hurt her like that. She expects to have me exclusively and to the death, has put her life's work into that, as I have, and I will not let her down. But I don't know what I will do when she dies (if she dies first). Then I will be in emotional trouble. My life insurance pays off for suicide too, not that I will care personally - except that I would not be causing a hardship for others if I committed suicide.

That's what life is all about - to me - if you don't have children that is. Since I don't, I can't really speak for those who do, so I am really curious about your thoughts on this shawna, how does it change your philosophy regarding this? Don't you get something great out of life when you look into your child's eyes and converse philosophically, or when they are experiencing joy and happiness? I would think you have much more to live for than I do for that reason. Don't you really want bad to see what happens to your children, and their children? To follow their lives, to hear about their joys and life experiences? Doesn't that make you feel more meaning to life, regardless of the bigger picture of all time and the universe? Perhaps I should have had children, we are too old now to raise a child.

Does this help?[/b] Did I tell you anything you did not already realize? I'm sorry it isn't more, if that doesn't seem enough.
Last edited by HalloweenWeed on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed the word 'speak' to 'converse', the intended meaning
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Next

Return to Free-Thinkers Only