Minister Calls For Creationism In NI Museums

An area for free-thinkers to discuss and exchange ideas.

Minister Calls For Creationism In NI Museums

Unread postby dr210077 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:25 pm

BBC News Story

I heard about this this story this morning, basically the minister for culture art and leisure here in northern ireland has written a letter to the trustees for NI museums asking that creationism be given displays in NI museum exhibits.

I am considering writing a letter on behalf of the RSS to the Department of Culture Arts and Leisure, the Trustees for NI Museums, and the BBC, outlining the stupidity of the position of an elected minister with regard to even entertaining creationism let alone promoting it. I haven't committed myself just yet, ( the prospect actually scares the crap clean out of me!), but I feel compelled to voice concern.

What do you guys think? Should I go ahead? If so what kinds of arguments should I make? Would it be worth the effort of emailing Dawkins to see if he could lend his weight?
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Re: Minister Calls For Creationism In NI Museums

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Wed May 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Does Dawkins know how to use his email? :lol:

Anyway, Yes you should write a letter. The fact of the matter is, if a museum were to entertain the notion of creationism with an exhibit, it would give these ideas a false sense of legitimacy and deceive the public. The Museum possesses intellectual authority in relation to its customers and creation exhibits would be seen by said customers as the museum lending its intellectual authority to creationism.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:02 pm

for starters, how the hell do you put Creationism in a museum? besides a giant Adam and Eve display.

in the letter, which you should totally write :P, either tell of course how ridiculous it is or that they will need to put images of EVERY creation story from EVERY religion EVER so that nobody feels left out :D

i personally am looking forward to the Scientology portion

hail Xenu!
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

Unread postby willow » Thu May 27, 2010 12:11 am

suggest a museum display on human mythology and superstitions :P creationist displays would fit perfectly in there

Sounds like a good idea DR
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Fri May 28, 2010 3:06 am

It's worth the shot. I'd say go forth with it.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby jscott1213 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV4m4uHQLU&playnext_from=TL&videos=CW5eVXeObeM&feature=sub

I was watching this and thought it would fit in here. It's about how Adam and Eve weren't the first humans and didn't commit incest.
Warning - One could loose IQ points for watching... :palm:
PLEASE NOTE Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the post recipient is not directly viewing this post it may cease to exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.
jscott1213
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Reputation point: 516

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Sat May 29, 2010 6:57 am

jscott1213 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV4m4uHQLU&playnext_from=TL&videos=CW5eVXeObeM&feature=sub

I was watching this and thought it would fit in here. It's about how Adam and Eve weren't the first humans and didn't commit incest.
Warning - One could loose IQ points for watching... :palm:

I will burn fox to ash!
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby willow » Sat May 29, 2010 12:29 pm

wow, a rather long attempt to explain a 30 second rationalization of evolution... >.<

I reached the same conclusion about 5 seconds after learning about mitochondrial eve and Y chromosomal Adam.
The author is ignoring it seems the fact that our nearest common female ancestor (mitochondrial eve) came several tens of thousands of years before our nearest common male ancestor (y chromosomal adam) They never existed at the same time.

The Genesis story is just a myth about the creation of man, and more important then mans creation, about mans development or transition from animalism to thought and knowledge. It serves the same purpose as the Prometheus story from greek myth.

The author is also ignoring it seems that the bible has TWO versions of genesis which are mutually exclusive.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Mon May 31, 2010 6:49 am

Perhaps we should draft a letter as a group? Although if they insist on adding creationism to the museum should we not ask for all genres of this to be included, and not just present a one sided christian view?

Personally I think that it is a deflection tactic, there must be another reason that this is being pushed.

The real pity of this is that with religion come politics and the museum was always a great place to leave all that bollocks at the door.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby dr210077 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Draft Letter wrote:Dear Madame/Sir,

After hearing about the recommendation that Northern Ireland museums should give any room to exhibits which preach factually devoid nonsense such as creationism, by certain elected members of the community, I felt compelled to write and express my deepest concern. One only needs to point out the quite succinct and devastating broadside, levelled at the Kansas State school board in the 90's, to see just how ridiculous and damaging this kind of idiocy is for any society, let alone a society in recovery from just the kind of religiously fuelled evils our society is beginning to emerge from. As such I would like to lend my own personal support for the dedication to truth and relaying truth, that museums in Northern Ireland are so accomplished at achieving. Furthermore, I also lend the support of an international community in the form of the Rational Skeptics Society, who upon hearing of the unwarranted and unjustified political pressure being applied to an educational organisation of such importance, immediately were vocal about the over-stepping of the mark of some of our politicians.

Yours sincerely

David Rodgers

That is the first draft of the letter to the NI museums board. Any improvements or alterations are welcome.
Last edited by dr210077 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Next

Return to Free-Thinkers Only