There is no god or there probably is no god

An area for free-thinkers to discuss and exchange ideas.

Re: There is no god or there probably is no god

Unread postby LilithLorelai » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:59 pm

I don't know if there is a god
I just question the need for one.
If it does exist it clearly has not
revealed itself in the personified way that
people think.
Nature worshipers are probably closer than the others.
...And everyone was suprised?

RSS On Youtube
LilithLorelai
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Reputation point: 1

Unread postby shawna » Thu May 07, 2009 2:25 pm

This is something I'm torn on. Although I feel so absolutely sure that the bible is just a bunch of nonsense and I am adamant that there is no invisible power with control over all of us, how can anyone be sure? No one can 100% know the answer to why we are here (yet), and I hate that! I feel 100% sure, but I think I'm fooling myself.
"No simplicity of mind, no obscurity of station, can escape the universal duty of questioning all that we believe." -W. K. Clifford
shawna

Reputation point: 100

Unread postby dr210077 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:10 pm

shawna wrote:This is something I'm torn on. Although I feel so absolutely sure that the bible is just a bunch of nonsense and I am adamant that there is no invisible power with control over all of us, how can anyone be sure? No one can 100% know the answer to why we are here (yet), and I hate that! I feel 100% sure, but I think I'm fooling myself.

The way I see it, if there was an all powerful deity who was so insecure that it would condemn its own creations to eternal suffering if they didn't love it, then it would have removed all doubt for all those creations. This leaves two possibilities; 1. It exists and is an insecure child-like monster that doesn't deserve my attention; 2. It doesn't exist at all. Now, I'm not a gambling type, but if I was forced to put my money where my mouth is, I'd say option 2 is by far the most realistic :)
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby shawna » Fri May 08, 2009 4:30 am

dr210077 wrote:
shawna wrote:This is something I'm torn on. Although I feel so absolutely sure that the bible is just a bunch of nonsense and I am adamant that there is no invisible power with control over all of us, how can anyone be sure? No one can 100% know the answer to why we are here (yet), and I hate that! I feel 100% sure, but I think I'm fooling myself.

The way I see it, if there was an all powerful deity who was so insecure that it would condemn its own creations to eternal suffering if they didn't love it, then it would have removed all doubt for all those creations. This leaves two possibilities; 1. It exists and is an insecure child-like monster that doesn't deserve my attention; 2. It doesn't exist at all. Now, I'm not a gambling type, but if I was forced to put my money where my mouth is, I'd say option 2 is by far the most realistic :)

great point
"No simplicity of mind, no obscurity of station, can escape the universal duty of questioning all that we believe." -W. K. Clifford
shawna

Reputation point: 100

Unread postby MistahTom » Sat May 09, 2009 2:22 am

shawna wrote:This leaves two possibilities; 1. It exists and is an insecure child-like monster that doesn't deserve my attention; 2. It doesn't exist at all. Now, I'm not a gambling type, but if I was forced to put my money where my mouth is, I'd say option 2 is by far the most realistic :)

My money would be on scenario 2 also. There is no evidence for god's existence and any evidence to the contrary is pretty convincing.
For the same reason you reject other gods, I reject yours.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Unread postby LilithLorelai » Fri May 15, 2009 8:00 am

The "real" question is Why the need for a God? Can it be evolutionary explained? Sure...now what?
...And everyone was suprised?

RSS On Youtube
LilithLorelai
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread postby Penthaligon » Fri May 15, 2009 4:28 pm

There is no god by definition.
Penthaligon

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat May 23, 2009 10:04 am

LilithLorelai wrote:The "real" question is Why the need for a God? Can it be evolutionary explained? Sure...now what?

I think the need for a god stems from the way animal brains work. If a set of sensory inputs are present--->there is food, if a different set of sensory inputs are present--->there is danger, and so on. It therefore becomes evolutionarily advantageous to have a built-in response for each set of inputs as this would result in faster reaction times and hence more food or greater chances of escape. As the brain becomes more complex so too do the built-in responses. Eventually these responses become so complex and abstract that they are essentially superstitions. Once superstitious behaviour is present it is only a matter of time before the idea of a god surfaces.
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby Spazmat » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Religion was created for 2 reasons thousands of years ago.
1: to give the rulers the authority over their subjects.
2: to explain the unexplainable eg lightning, the sun, earthquakes.

There is no proof of god. There is no need for god. 99.9% sure, there is no god.
-Not even god is perfect because in order to be perfect, you have to be real.

-Religion isn't the opiate of the masses, it's the placebo of the masses.
Spazmat

Reputation point: 5

Unread postby Komadori » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:35 am

Gods are social constructs and only exist as such.

That said, there might be a Horton but I doubt he can hear us Whos. With the massive extense of the universe and the great possibility that it is just one of countless others. Godlike beings could possibly exist, philosophically speaking, but would they really be what people call gods? And how could they possibly be interested in us, when there is such an extensive array of other, more interesting things to pique their interests? These beings would be better called evolved beings of a higher state of consciousness, but that does not make them gods. And so far, we haven't seen anything like that outside of fiction, as much as I love a good Q story and a certain timelord with his little blue callbox. ;)

"What would God need with a spaceship?"

People make gods, not the other way around. Gods are only as powerful as the ideas and inspiration garnered by their followers. Nuff said.
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science.
-Albert Einstein
Komadori

Reputation point: 2

PreviousNext

Return to Free-Thinkers Only