Billboard badness

An area for free-thinkers to discuss and exchange ideas.

Re: Billboard badness

Unread postby foobunny » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:54 am

Jnthn44 wrote:Good billboard:

Outrage over it:
Atheist Billboard Outrages Alabama Christians

That billboard is here in AL? Where, I wish to drive by it lol
foobunny

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:58 am

That is a very clever twist. I like it.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:36 pm

foobunny wrote:
Jnthn44 wrote:Good billboard:

Outrage over it:
Atheist Billboard Outrages Alabama Christians

That billboard is here in AL? Where, I wish to drive by it lol

Photo shopped?

Seems not real.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:39 am

i found where it is/was.......foobunny and i are gonna run up there one day and see if it's still there :lol:
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:22 pm

This bill board is reported to be on display in Scotland. This is pretty low I think, whilst you may not agree Santa hijacking jesuss birthday to print a poster that kids could see is bad.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:48 pm

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:Image

This bill board is reported to be on display in Scotland. This is pretty low I think, whilst you may not agree Santa hijacking jesuss birthday to print a poster that kids could see is bad.

I like that billboard. especially the part about stop lying to your kids about santa. Hopefully, the ad would have the effect of causing kids to not buy into santa, and thus be more skeptical of god.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby willow » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:21 pm

do you really think children conflate jesus with santa? I never did as a kid, and while I can see the point they are trying to make I disagree about stripping children of the magic of childhood. What next? no easter bunny or tooth fairy? Poor kids already learn at a young age that there is no santa, let them enjoy there delusions while they can.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:25 pm

willow wrote:do you really think children conflate jesus with santa? I never did as a kid, and while I can see the point they are trying to make I disagree about stripping children of the magic of childhood. What next? no easter bunny or tooth fairy? Poor kids already learn at a young age that there is no santa, let them enjoy there delusions while they can.

I don't think they conflate Jesus with Santa, but I do think that a few of them might realize the preposterous nature of Jesus is in many ways similar to the preposterous nature of their fairy tales. Honestly though, I think telling children about the easter bunny and tooth fairy doesn't actually do anything for them. It just gives parents a reason to go about some odd practices. I'd imagine children would be perfectly fine not believing in said thingamabobs.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:53 am

I am with willow on this, the only reason christmas was great was that mystery of being soo good that you might get what you asked for. Once you're old enough to know better christmas gets a bit boring.

The real point has to be that a bill board with that message will force parents to tell bigger lies to children in order to protect their family beliefs
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:41 am

I grew up in a (non-jewish) family that did not celebrate xmas (see "Re: Whats your Theological History?":
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=811#p13309 )
for most of my young years. But I did experience it when I was >6. I resented the fact that it was taken away from me, and I liked the pretty lights. So at about 6 yrs old I was taught there was no Santa, nor tooth fairy, and we also stopped 'celebrating' Easter and Halloween. (I don't remember those xmases now, but I remember a picture or two of them.) So I have first-hand knowledge of the debunking of xmas and Santa Claus at an unusually young age. I learned very quickly (the hard way) not to discuss it with other kids. Got a few enemies out of that. When I became Agnostic I accepted the concept of 'celebrating' xmas, but since I was a bachelor I did not bother with it, except to experiment with some xmas lights - they had just come out with those lights in a tube that turned on in sequences.

But when I got my girlfriend that soon became wife, I loved celebrating xmas with her - I loved giving her presents and the fun and joy it brought her on that day. That's what xmas is to me, don't give a damn about Santa Claus. It's about the giving and social interaction - and playing of new games and movies afterward.

About Santa, there are many kids who think he is creepy! My wife was one of those. After all, many notice that he is everywhere, just seen him in the mall and now he is over there too. Not only is he elsewhere, but bigger or smaller, and different faces, and fake beard. My wife seen him as fake, and therefore a threat bc she did not know, or understand, the motive for the facade. So I agree with Darth, stop teaching your children about a fake person. Do you really need to resort to extortion to get your children to behave? What kind of message is that, really? The problem with debunking Santa Claus in children lies in the child's social interaction with other children, more than the actual debunking. So it is a social pressure issue.

But as for xmas, I see nothing wrong with decorating with pretty lights - and so forth - and absolutely nothing wrong with a gift-giving day and wrapping said gifts in pretty paper. And who can turn down a holiday off work.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

PreviousNext

Return to Free-Thinkers Only