Billboard badness

An area for free-thinkers to discuss and exchange ideas.

Billboard badness

Unread postby MistahTom » Sat May 30, 2009 6:50 am

I was driving the other day and on the freeway here in southern California and there was an electronic freeway billboard. It had ads cycling on it and there were about 5 ads on it. One of the cycling ad had an ad that said "'TURN TO JESUS a message from the inland empire area churches ' on it. Should I complain? Should tell the ad company that I won't patronize the businesses that are advertising on their billboards until they take down the propaganda? Should I also call the businesses and tell them that I am not going to patronize their business if they continue to advertise with a company that keeps promoting religious propaganda? I'm freaking sick of this crap. It's pretty lame. California is considered a liberal state but that's only if you live in the San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Area.
For the same reason you reject other gods, I reject yours.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Reputation point: 1

Re: Billboard badness

Unread postby notma » Sat May 30, 2009 12:28 pm

Not sure about this, I can't imagine this advert is that effective,and am not sure you would want the restrictions we have in Ireland where you aren't allowed advertise for or against a religion, this has meant that businesses selling religious items can't advertise themselves , this past christmas a shop that sells religious paraphernalia had their ads pulled from the radio and they were trying to sell christmas cards, this interference in peoples lively hood seems inequitable, Dawkins would also not be allowed put ads on buses saying god probably didn't exist as it would be advertising against a religion.

Naturally the law is adhered to rigorously and I don't look at this poster every day on my way to work :roll:
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat May 30, 2009 4:53 pm

I agree with Notma on this, restricting freedom is never a good thing. I would, however, encourage pickets of outside every church every day. Exercising our freedom to speak freely is our greatest asset, and this form of free-speech is particularly effective if it makes its targets embarrassed.
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby MistahTom » Sat May 30, 2009 7:23 pm

dr210077 wrote:I agree with Notma on this, restricting freedom is never a good thing

Tell it to these assholes.

I live 20 miles from where this happened.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat May 30, 2009 7:30 pm

How much does it cost to put a message on these e-billboards?
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby MistahTom » Sat May 30, 2009 7:39 pm

I don't know. The rotating electronic ones should be cheaper because they fit like 5 adverts on them.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Sat May 30, 2009 8:11 pm

Hahah I wonder what the cost is too. We should put one up somewhere someday haha.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:16 pm

TheBlueFalconX wrote:Hahah I wonder what the cost is too. We should put one up somewhere someday haha.

This is why I asked maybe we should group together and fund a billboard ad?

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Sat May 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Yeah. We could do that.

Let's get the site working a bit more nicer.

Arg, I wish I had artistry skills and photoshop I could design a sick template. Arg.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:24 pm

TheBlueFalconX wrote:Arg, I wish I had artistry skills and photoshop I could design a sick template. Arg.

I know what you mean, but templates require programming skills too. I'm trying to fill both sets of shoes, but it ain't easy :(

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Free-Thinkers Only