Atheists: Do you celebrate Christmas? Or Chanukah?

An area for free-thinkers to discuss and exchange ideas.

Re: Atheists: Do you celebrate Christmas? Or Chanukah?

Unread postby roid » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:14 pm

'burbs.

i should be more forthcomming: by "trouble getting the opportunity" i actually meant "anxiously avoid wherever possible as a social-phobia-turned-habit" :)
roid

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby notma » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:38 pm

roid wrote:'burbs.

i should be more forthcomming: by "trouble getting the opportunity" i actually meant "anxiously avoid wherever possible as a social-phobia-turned-habit" :)

Ah , no prezzies then soz to sez. On the upside if you are going to get murdered it is statistically probable you already know your assailant, if you don't know anyone..... .
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:45 pm

Also same question to Agnostics/gnostic/Apatheists. Holiday Bump.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:57 pm

I think that the ubiquity of a mid-winter festival is evidence that some form of alleviation of seasonal stress, confers an evolutionary advantage in humans.
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:49 am

I am shallow, I vote for Christmas. Seems to be more presents in it for me, add in a big feed, and lots of liquid merry-ment. SOLD!
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:49 pm

I really don't care about christmas at all. Don't care about the songs, the festivity, nostalgic childhood memories of the winter holidays, or even the presents that much. I'd rather just ask for shit from people whenever i feel the need rather than asking for a christmas present. But anytime i can baste in lavish feasts I'll even go so far as to wear pants.

I have been sort of giggly for the past couple of christmases though. Skip to about 5:30.
Last edited by Intercourseman72 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:06 pm

ICM wrote:I'll even go so far as to wear pants.

That ^^^^ is fucking priceless :lol:
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:30 pm

Intercourseman72 wrote:I'd rather just ask for shit from people whenever i feel the need rather than asking for a christmas present.
I feel sad for you that you would have to ask for xmas presents.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:04 pm

It's from Bronner's of Frankenmuth:
http://www.bronners.com/
Did you ever hear of Frankenmuth? We always took it for granted bc we lived nearby.
http://www.frankenmuth.org/
Old-world style German town for tourists. Wonderful german-style chicken dinners too.
I'd recommend it for tourism, but I don't think it is worth a long trip for - better off going to Germany itself, or Switzerland or other Bavarian country.
Bronner's Christmas store is larger than many Wal-marts.
HalloweenWeed

Previous

Return to Free-Thinkers Only