Atheists: Do you celebrate Christmas? Or Chanukah?

An area for free-thinkers to discuss and exchange ideas.

Re: Atheists: Do you celebrate Christmas? Or Chanukah?

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:57 pm

I absolutely love the imagery of Santa and pink flamingos. Are they pulling his sleigh? :lol:
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby Penthaligon » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:28 pm

I don't celebrate Christmas. I celebrate midwinter or jöl if you like. Same date thought. 24 of December. Do I remember incorrectly now or is the American Christmas on another date?
Penthaligon

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby notma » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:36 pm

I have to tolerate eed . I do exchange gifts , pig out and take time off work at christmas as my offices are closed, but I have to admit I still love halloween, can't beat a good organise festival of arson. Sometimes I miss my old neighbourhood. Then I come to my senses.

There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Penthaligon wrote:I don't celebrate Christmas. I celebrate midwinter or jöl if you like. Same date thought. 24 of December. Do I remember incorrectly now or is the American Christmas on another date?

25th. And BTW, winter begins on about the 22nd, so mid-winter = approx. Feb 10, FYI.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:39 pm

notma wrote:I have to tolerate eed . I do exchange gifts , pig out and take time off work at christmas as my offices are closed, but I have to admit I still love halloween, can't beat a good organise festival of arson. Sometimes I miss my old neighbourhood. Then I come to my senses.

Looks like a good halloween cat, too, your icon.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Unread postby Penthaligon » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:41 pm

It was called midwinter before Olav the holy came along messing things up, christening Norway. Anyway I guess the climate is different here so looking at the snow it could be midwinter. Thought its probably messed up. And I wonder, has global warming changed it?
Penthaligon

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby notma » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:46 pm

The begining of November was the pagan new year in Ireland, November , December and January being traditionally the winter months so mid december would be mid winter for us too,I think it is just different in different countries,.
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Penthaligon wrote:It was called midwinter before Olav the holy came along messing things up, christening Norway. Anyway I guess the climate is different here so looking at the snow it could be midwinter. Thought its probably messed up. And I wonder, has global warming changed it?

It has probably always been in December, but with the numerous additions to the calendar throughout the years means that the equivalent date on our calendar is February.
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:53 pm

HalloweenWeed wrote:25th. And BTW, winter begins on about the 22nd, so mid-winter = approx. Feb 10, FYI.

I was speaking of the astrological, scientific 'winter solstace': the point at which the sun 'crosses the equator' and becomes shining southerly. Whoops, wait, no, that's the point at which the sun is farthest south; the shortest day of the year for northern hemisphere, and the sun begins it's trek northward again.
HalloweenWeed

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:57 pm

HalloweenWeed wrote:
HalloweenWeed wrote:25th. And BTW, winter begins on about the 22nd, so mid-winter = approx. Feb 10, FYI.

I was speaking of the astrological, scientific 'winter solstace': the point at which the sun 'crosses the equator' and becomes shining southerly.

That's what I mean, that point is fairly fixed, but because there have been additions to the calender the month would change. So in a ten month calender it would be December, but in a twelve month calender it would be February

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Free-Thinkers Only