Atheists: Do you celebrate Christmas? Or Chanukah?

An area for free-thinkers to discuss and exchange ideas.

Re: Atheists: Do you celebrate Christmas? Or Chanukah?

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:16 pm

dr210077 wrote:That's what I mean, that point is fairly fixed, but because there have been additions to the calender the month would change. So in a ten month calender it would be December, but in a twelve month calender it would be February

Who uses a ten month calendar, nowadays? Jewish? Or were you referring to olden days?
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby notma » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:19 pm

HalloweenWeed wrote:
dr210077 wrote:That's what I mean, that point is fairly fixed, but because there have been additions to the calender the month would change. So in a ten month calender it would be December, but in a twelve month calender it would be February

Who uses a ten month calendar, nowadays? Jewish? Or were you referring to olden days?

some countries actually predate christianity, I know it's hard to believe :lol:
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:25 pm

notma wrote:some countries actually predate christianity, I know it's hard to believe :lol:

Yeah, but are you the same notma as in TAA? If so, Irish? Does Ireland use 10 month calendar? That would surprise me. Pardon my ignorance...
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby dr210077 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:29 pm

HalloweenWeed wrote:Who uses a ten month calendar, nowadays? Jewish? Or were you referring to olden days?

What I meant was that the solstices and equinoxes when they were first celebrated, were celebrated using a calender with fewer months. There were then months added to that calender, but the month and date of the celebration remained the same. I am only guessing, but it would account for the discrepancy.
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby notma » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:36 pm

HalloweenWeed wrote:
notma wrote:some countries actually predate christianity, I know it's hard to believe :lol:

Yeah, but are you the same notma as in TAA? If so, Irish? Does Ireland use 10 month calendar? That would surprise me. Pardon my ignorance...

10 months at least maybe even more, but I think maybe it is possible that prechristian festivals may predate the gregorian calender.
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Unread postby MistahTom » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:22 pm

Christmas here. But keep I the jesus crap out meaning I keep it real, yo.
For the same reason you reject other gods, I reject yours.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Reputation point: 1

Unread postby roid » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:36 am

ex Jehovah's Witness here. Growing up i never celebrated Christmas or birthdays. Since leaving the religion i've had trouble getting the opportunity to make new RL friends - so i still don't celebrate them.
:oops:
roid

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby notma » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:33 pm

roid wrote:ex Jehovah's Witness here. Growing up i never celebrated Christmas or birthdays. Since leaving the religion i've had trouble getting the opportunity to make new RL friends - so i still don't celebrate them.
:oops:

You could try just going up to your neighbours and knocking on the door. :|
notma

Unread postby roid » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:04 pm

you're close with your neighbours?
roid

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby notma » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:07 pm

roid wrote:you're close with your neighbours?

Some of them. Are you in the countryside or in the city?
notma

PreviousNext

Return to Free-Thinkers Only