What is the definition of a "Zombie"?

An area for free-thinkers to discuss and exchange ideas.

What is the definition of a "Zombie"?

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:02 pm

What is the definition of a Zombie?
Last edited by dr210077 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited at author's request.
Les possibilites de la réalité sont infinies. Seules nos pensées nous empêchent de voir une autre perspective...
Zo3R3tZo

Reputation point: 205

Re: What is the definition of a "Zombie"?

Unread postby dr210077 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:58 pm

George A Romero was the first director to give a social definition to zombies. His assertion was by the analogy of shoppers to mindless drones. Zeitgeist changes by its very definition though, and zombies are no different. Modern "running zombies" like those seen in 28 days later, are more of an analogy for corporate management. When G.A.Romero was making films, consumerism was one of the greatest if not the greatest influence on society, hence how he visualised his films.

Most people nowadays, work in an environment which requires the to react in superfast time. In my opinion this is were the modern zombie comes from. The modern zombie is one that reacts quickily, without necessarily thinking about anything.
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:57 pm

dr210077 wrote:Most people nowadays, work in an environment which requires the to react in superfast time. In my opinion this is were the modern zombie comes from. The modern zombie is one that reacts quickily, without necessarily thinking about anything.

I like that... a lot!

I started a zombie thread in the Chill-out forum a while ago:
Chill-Out>Zombie Movies
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby willow » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:16 am

Well, "Zombies" and our conception of them come from Voodoo in Haiti. Its part of there folk lore and voodoo culture which we amalgamated into western conciousness, similar to the way we adapted eastern european mythology and got vampires which eventually *shudder* started to "sparkle in the daylight"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie#Voodoo
According to the tenets of Vodou, a dead person can be revived by a bokor, or sorcerer. Zombies remain under the control of the bokor since they have no will of their own. "Zombi" is also another name of the Vodou snake lwa Damballah Wedo, of Niger-Congo origin; it is akin to the Kikongo word nzambi, which means "god". There also exists within the voudon tradition the zombi astral which is a human soul that is captured by a bokor and used to enhance the bokor's power.

I remember catching a documentary on TV a few months ago, where in Wade Davis, a Harvard ethnobotanist went on the hunt for the drug concoctions which give rise to zombie-ism. It also gave an overview of how zombies entered into our conciousness through really terrable and blatently racist movies about "deepest darkes africa" and haitian savages practicing "black magic"
claimed that a living person can be turned into a zombie by two special powders being entered into the blood stream (usually via a wound). The first, coup de poudre (French: 'powder strike'), includes tetrodotoxin (TTX), the poison found in the pufferfish. The second powder is composed of dissociatives such as datura.

His claims have been taken to task over the years, and Im inclined to agree with his critics in that it doesnt account entierly for zombism and would not endure for years without continual reapplication of the drug, however I do think that ingrained social expectiations and belief in a particular form of zombism could induce someone under the effects of disassociative drugs to engage in a particular role, zombies playing a large part in there culture.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby Stevo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 pm

Zombie: Someone/thing that has come back to life through supernatural means a.k.a Jesus.
i got that from somewhere, and its what i go by
If my calculations are correct....Slinky+Escalator=EVERLASTING FUN!
Stevo

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:04 pm

Stevo wrote:Zombie: Someone/thing that has come back to life through supernatural means a.k.a Jesus.

LMAO. Well I don't think Jesus was a zombie by my personal definition, which I may write at some point in this thread- but his religious path and "function" turned out helping in the production of many zombies to come after the end of his (possible) existence...

Zo3.
Les possibilites de la réalité sont infinies. Seules nos pensées nous empêchent de voir une autre perspective...
Zo3R3tZo

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:13 pm

According to Revelations, Jesus will come back and raise the dead. I think that's what he meant.
H3RM3S78

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:40 pm

H3RM3S wrote:According to Revelations, Jesus will come back and raise the dead.

So... then, Jesus is actually to a point, in the opinion of some sources, the LEADER of many zombies? At least, I made sense in my prior comment- I wasn't aware the book of Reveletations actually backed me up in this regard though. They warned believers they would be controled, turned to mindless monsters, and still they followed... that's rather ironic.

Zo3.
Zo3R3tZo

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:45 pm

Zo3R3tZo wrote:

So... then, Jesus is actually to a point, in the opinion of some sources, the LEADER of many zombies? At least, I made sense in my prior comment- I wasn't aware the book of Reveletations actually backed me up in this regard though. They warned believers they would be controled, turned to mindless monsters, and still they followed... that's rather ironic.

Zo3.

Well thats not exactly how they put it, but its an interesting take for sure.
H3RM3S78

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:41 pm

H3RM3S78 wrote:
Zo3R3tZo wrote:

Zo3.

Well thats not exactly how they put it, but its an interesting take for sure.

Of course,that's not how they put it- They would never have, and will never, put it in words that would scare their potential followers away- that would not be a very effective marketing stunt to their endlessly conspirational plans. Too much of their power would be put at stake.

However, no matter what they say, or what anyone thinks- it always comes down to how we interpret the old books, reality, words, etc. Thank god some of us still have somewhat independent, analytical capacities; reason... otherwise we'd all have turned out to be religious slaves/zombies; and these forums would not exist. Sniff... Unfortunately for us- though, many of us may be saved to this extent- religion isn't the only factor at hand...

Zo3.
Zo3R3tZo

Next

Return to Free-Thinkers Only