How were you raised regarding to religion?

An area for free-thinkers to discuss and exchange ideas.

How were you raised regarding to religion?

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:08 am

1. What religious denomination were your parents and how did they impose their religion onto you are you were a young child?

2. How did they follow up with their religious doctrines (if they had any) as you grew up throughout your latency period of development.

3. As you began to be skeptical of your parents' religious views, how did your parents receive your skepticism (if you made it know to them of course)?.

4. What do you think of your parent's views on religion now?
Last edited by Intercourseman72 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Re: How were you raised regarding to religion?

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:28 am

1. My father grew up in Cuba and was raised Roman Catholic as the Spanish Conquistadors intended him to be raised. My mother grew up near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania as a Roman Catholic under a fairly traditional household also. When I was born, the only thing they could come up with was "omgwtf holy shit, we have the most adorable little baby in the world, and he is going to grow up to be the sexist motherfucker in the whole fucking world." Religion was rather far from their minds.

2. My parents did not baptize as an infant me even though my grandfather made blatant attempts to pressure my mother into baptizing me as a child. I later wanted to be baptized when i was about 10 or 11 but had it done so at a methodist church. So neither of my parents were dogmatically religious. My mother is not religious but more 'spiritual' and my father is very skeptical but still not atheist to this day.

3. I began discussing religion with my mother from thoughts i had been conceiving shortly after my baptism. She gave me the whole 'faith' bullshit, and I never relented from such a topic since. As of now it seems she has conceded more of her religious beliefs than I have conceded of my skepticism of religion in general.

4. Both of my parents are well aware of my blatant and strong atheist beliefs and do not really object to them. My father is indifferent between atheism and agnosticism (if there is a God, how could we ever know he even gives a shit about us and why would it matter if he does?), and my mother is far removed from her catholic beliefs as opposed to my grandfather and bimbo retard aunt who share views of christinsanity. Neither of my parents are atheist but neither of them hold the same beliefs they did before I became atheist. Both were indoctrinated Catholics growing up, both diverted from them before i was born, and both will never return to the same bullshit as of now.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:09 pm

1. MY parents are some kind of protestant. I don't really know what denomination they would align themselves with. Outside of some very basic aspects of christianity, I never really heard much about it.

2. I was never baptized, and my only religious exposure was at daycare during the summers when the daycare lady brought some people form her church over to lecture us. when they told us to raise our hands if we weren't saved I raised mine. (or maybe it was raise your hand if you were saved, and I did not raise mine) Then I kinda just zoned out when he tried to tell me about god and jesus. Of course, I just wanted to get to the community pool (we went there during the summers at daycare) so I wasn't really paying attention to it to begin with. Then the daycare lady made us do some children's activities at her church, which invoked me zoning out during the opening address to the kiddies and then when we had to re-enact Joseph and his suspiciously banged-up wife being told to go sleep in the manger I was playing the innkeeper. My decision was to act like a drunken innkeeper. I so wasn't paying attention to any of that shit.

3. My father was like "good for you" my mother was like "really?" then accepted it.

4. Its as silly as ever.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby MistahTom » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:35 am

Mom: Catholic (but she was forced to go so she never followed and she never made us go to church)
Dad: Agnostic

Parents views are the same. Although they publicly do not support religion at all.

CORRECTION: While my mom is baptized catholic, shes not a catholic and does not follow it.
Last edited by MistahTom on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For the same reason you reject other gods, I reject yours.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Reputation point: 1

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:05 pm

1. What religious denomination were your parents and how did they impose their religion onto you are you were a young child?
My parents were somewhat Catholic. If they believed at all, they never told me. I was baptised so i could go to public school (which is a double-fail).

2. How did they follow up with their religious doctrines (if they had any) as you grew up throughout your latency period of development.
My Father didn't believe in religion. His philosophy was treat his only son like shit and destroy his self-esteem as much as possible to make him independant, while being as serving and caring as a devoted slave.

3. As you began to be skeptical of your parents' religious views, how did your parents receive your skepticism (if you made it know to them of course)?.
I wasn't skeptical of their religious views. However, i should've definately been skeptical of their love and everything else they taught me.

I think my mother came around to admitting she was manipulated. My father will probably die an asshole. I might get my revenge on him when he grows as weak and helpless as i was when he used to abuse me. In the meantime, his wife is hopefully driving him crazy and docile. At least she seems to be good at that.
Last edited by H3RM3S78 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby shawna » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:35 pm

My mom pretty much raised me by herself, and she never mentioned religion or god to me at all. It was only once I entered middle school and became friends with a girl who went to church on Wednesdays that I started having any type of religious experience. Of course, at that age, you'll believe anything that you see a large group of people believing in, so I was convinced. But really, we only went to church to see our friends who went there, and boys of course.

I really can't recall my mom ever mentioning anything significant about god or the bible.

I remember when I was somewhere around 18ish, I said something to my mom about not believing in god, and she said, "So you just don't believe in anything?"...or something to that effect. She wasn't too happy and didn't understand why I would not believe in some supernatural explanation of the world.

After reading more and more about it, and passing the information and ideas on to my mom, she began to have the same beliefs as me. Now she is an atheist just like my husband and I, and has been for years. I can't get her to give up her belief in Astrology, though! She is very attached to that concept, but I suppose it much less harmful than an actual religion, so I'll let her keep it!
"No simplicity of mind, no obscurity of station, can escape the universal duty of questioning all that we believe." -W. K. Clifford
shawna

Reputation point: 100

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:41 pm

I believe I have answered most of these questions in "Whats your Theological History?", here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=811#p13309
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Return to Free-Thinkers Only