Photography!

Relax, kick back and shoot the shit

Photography!

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:41 pm

I'm the epitome of amateur when it comes to photography but it's something i like. i thought that maybe we'd have some talented picture-takers in chere and they should have a place to show off!

share Flickr's.
post your previous/new stuff

and for those of us like me that don't know nothin about the finer points of photography, this could be a great learning experience :D

here's mah Flickr : flickrflickrflickr
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

Re: Photography!

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Today's digital cameras compensate for noob photgraphers. I had to control focus, aperature, film speed, and shutter speed back in my college days. Your pictures are nice Jnthn44, but they lack in depth of feild and composition. Here's a quick and easy rule: never center on the eys of your subject (of course should you learn all the rules of photography, you could then more tastefully break them... as you should eventually).

I'm not saying your pictures suck, just being bitter about my proffession becoming obsolete with new technology.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:47 am

H3RM3S78 wrote:Today's digital cameras compensate for noob photgraphers. I had to control focus, aperature, film speed, and shutter speed back in my college days.

and if you did your own developing you had a whole lot more you had to deal with. One accidental exposure could ruin an entire reel of film. (Of course, getting the fucking film out of the canister could also be quite bothersome, the lights having be off not helping in the least)
Last edited by DarthRavanger on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:17 am

I agree with Hermes, most modern compacts make too many decisions about the shot for my liking. However like all things in live the more I learn about photography the less I know, and it is one expensive hobby!

Here are some shots I have taken, some have not been processed yet.
Snapshots
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:59 pm

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:...and it is one expensive hobby!

Its a lot cheaper now that we dont have to develop film anymore. And missing a shot doesn't cost anything either.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:21 pm

Very true, it just leaves, filters, prime lenses, flash guns and supports.

I have to admit learning exposure on film must have been a 'mare. Although I still think digital can get no where near film for details, or highlights.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:50 pm

I seen this great pic once, wanted to get it, but alas the camera did not have zoom. And the pixels were way not enough to make up for it. The clouds in the distance near the sunset glowed bright yellow-orange, like a fire, it was really cool. I would love to have a DSLR with a zoom lens. What I really wanted was just a small portion of this pic, the sunset area, blown up big. Anyway, here's the squished, compressed pic; even the original didn't do it justice:

I have learned quite a bit about photography, and know how to take a good pic; my wife had a Cannon A1 that I used a bit, with a regular and a zoom lens. But now my best camera is sub-$300.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:20 pm

I much prefer that shot as it is now, the clouds darkening towards the top edge of the frame and changing hue.
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:28 pm

Here's some more, prob is, they have to be sized down quite a bit to put here:

Getting ice pictures good is very tricky. You MUST take them from the proper angle, with the proper angle of illumination, so it is impossible to get good ice pics at some times of the day. And since you need to also take them at the right exposure, take several exposures of each to sort out later. White balance is important too.
Exposure needs to be precisely exact too if you are taking pictures of snow, and want snow texture detail. And some cameras will not adjust the exposure enough for this.

Then again, some pictures aren't as much about the photography, but what's happening:

(I've personally taken all these pictures)
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Photographing snow

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:46 pm

[center]Photographing snow[/center]
Snow is particularly rough to photograph, especially with an automatic type camera like most are nowadays. If you want to shoot a snow bank, to show it's size or whatever, it doesn't really show it's size proper unless you can make out texture detail. And if you don't have a very high-end camera with a particularly high "dynamic range" (shade detail, steps of brightness) often the texture and detail is completely washed out. Sometimes a photo editing software can bring it out later, but often not. So here is some tips to get the detail in snowmen, snow banks and piles:

First, lets go over your camera settings. I'm going to assume you have some of the more popular settings on your digital camera. I am not talking about film cameras, DSLRs, or old manual cameras here. Don't use automatic white balance, nor an all-encompassing automatic setting. Some cameras have a special setting for snow pictures. This adjusts the exposure higher, as all the bright light from the snow can cause the camera to darken the pictures too much for a good shot of the subject. And what you really need is to darken the photo quite a bit to get the subtle shade differences in the snow. So using the snow picture setting is not always a good idea, you should try it out with your camera to find out if it is what you need. Also, if you are using your camera's LCD display to gauge the resulting exposure, you should first be sure you have those settings set correctly. Chances are you are using your camera outside, in sunlight, whether full or partial; and it probably won't be dark from heavy clouds. So you want your LCD backlight set to full brightness, and the other brightness setting set to full bright as well, since it is hard to overcome the brightness of the sun. If you do not do this, you will probably end up shooting everything too exposed (too bright), and all will be washed out (lack detail).

With my camera, I had trouble with 'blue' snow. Particularly when shooting snow on the window, from the inside. And when I turned down the exposure to get snow detail, it also turned it more blue than gray. I do not know if all cameras tend to shoot the snow blue when it is darkened. Most cameras have settings for 'white balance', and this is what you need to counteract the blue snow. One setting is for flourescent lighting (the 'glowing tube' icon on some), which tends to be more blue than many other light sources, so the camera counteracts it by reducing the blue. I have found this is the best way to photograph snow on my camera. Next, turn the exposure way down (-1 to -2ev for broad daylight) and try it. Take a couple more with other exposure (ev) settings. You will probably notice that the picture looks dark, even quite dark, but that's OK; fix it later with an editing program. If you take it at full exposure, you will loose too much texture detail (it will look 'washed out').

Then take the pictures into your computer and use an editing program to brighten up your snow pictures. They will retain more texture detail that way than if you took them at the proper exposure in your camera. While you are brightening, experiment with contrast settings too; they can help make the picture look naturally correct and still retain all that texture detail. And you will have better luck with different exposures of the same shot, even just half or two-thirds ev difference in exposure can make a big difference in the final product.

Good luck to you.

Examples, Good:

Washed out, lacks detail, some depth is lost:
Last edited by HalloweenWeed on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added example pictures
HalloweenWeed

Next

Return to The Chill Out