Ultimate power or ultimate wealth? (exclusive)(poll)

Relax, kick back and shoot the shit

Do you think it is better to have ultimate power or ultimate wealth?

Power
14%
Wealth
86%

Total votes : 7

Ultimate power or ultimate wealth? (exclusive)(poll)

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:32 pm

Do you think it is better to have ultimate power or ultimate wealth?
With the following limitations (you may substitute Queen for King):

Ultimate power: You are a dictator such as a King of a Buddhist country, where you cannot use your power for wealth nor money. You could declare the kingdom Atheist, but still no money nor wealth for you. You would have to rely on the possessions of your underlings and supporters to use items and entertainment devices. No gifts to you are allowed. Your palace is your home, but it relies on the generosity of the people as a whole to furnish it. When you die, your descendants will not inherit anything, except one may become King.

Ultimate wealth: You are the richest human on the earth - and remain so. You have inherited the money, and the stipulation is you may never use the money for power issues. If you do, the lawyers will take it away from you, every penny you own. You may not become a politician, nor any head of any organization - this includes any shared exec position such as a board of stockholders. For any investment where you are a majority stockholder, you must be a silent partner, you may not make any decisions. You're power is effectively limited to your personal possessions and your servants. And you may will your money and wealth to your descendants as you prefer.

Which would you choose?

And feel free to comment on why.
Last edited by HalloweenWeed on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Re: Ultimate power or ultimate wealth? (exclusive)(poll)

Unread postby dr210077 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:46 pm

Ultimate wealth, because I have no interest in bossing folks about, but more importantly, my life is wasted if I cannot allow my family and people I love from benefiting from my life's work. :)
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:53 am

i picked wealth because there isn't really anything i really want to do with a lot of power that i couldn't do with tons of money. It's so hard to separate the two things because it's so often that they go hand in hand. Wealth gives you power and power gives you wealth. But since you can't buy the state with your wealth and you can't muscle you way into getting people to give you everything you want, I suppose I'd rather be able to afford anything like money was no object.

I could buy a private jet, all the drugs i wanted, hire all the lawyers to get me out of jail, and do all kinds of shit to satisfy my every whim and my greatest dreams. Everyone else's behavior is much more immaterial to me as i don't really care if everyone believes in superstition or even a coercive monopoly to send people to get pounded in the asshole continuously, repeatedly, and relentlessly or else get killed. I think the means of production would be severely compromised, thus hindering my ability to exercise my wealth in the long run, but since it's ultimate wealth, it probably wouldn't be that noticeable to me. I could also invest my wealth into things i think are worthy causes and my ambitions could be manifested that way. It's more indirect than actually imposing them, but I think it would ultimately be more effective anyway.

Btw, there is an old quote. It goes something like "this estate is so massive and so extravagant that not even a king could afford it. It must belong to a Rothschild." Rothschilds had no restrictions on not buying power, i.e. national banking systems, but you get the point. Wealth spareing the power gives you more liberty to do what you want without any real responsibility (assuming you don't have to keep working like hell to maintain it).
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Ultimate wealth. Mostly for the same reasons that dr and ICM cited above. I just want to live a nice satisfying life, and for me that means little responsibility. Ultimate power really also means ultimate responsibility, and that's way too much responsibility; the responsibility of judges, of peoples lives. Everyone makes mistakes, but some more than others. In particular, I do make more brain-dead mistakes than most do; and in ultimate power that translates into ppl getting hurt or death, and I couldn't live with that - even when applying the "somebody has to do it" rationale. And really what good is the inheritance of power if someone kills you for it (assassination). You could set your son the inheriting Prince, but that can't guarantee him safety from assassination.

At least with ultimate wealth, you can also make your children set for life. Sure someone could kill them all the same, but it's less likely. And what's more, when you have lots of money, there is plenty of things to do to enjoy life and see the world repeatedly; and meet many ppls all over the world. Language problem? Hire a tutor, and/or a translator. NP.

BTW, I didn't vote for Power, and dr didn't vote at all. Don't know who voted for power, and their vote may remain anonymous.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby dr210077 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 pm

I just cast my vote :)
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:55 pm

I would rather have the money, however I am with ICM power and money are too closely related. The stipulation that you have ultimate power, but cannot command money or gifts from your underlings means my ass will be hungry fairly quickly.

Money can buy you friends to do as you command, at least in this society.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:30 pm

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:I would rather have the money, however I am with ICM power and money are too closely related. The stipulation that you have ultimate power, but cannot command money or gifts from your underlings means my ass will be hungry fairly quickly.

Money can buy you friends to do as you command, at least in this society.

I think with the hypothetical ultimate power, you can just walk through people's farms and stores and stuff and just take what you want or otherwise send them to a place where they get... yeah you get it. Besides, if it's commanded it's not a gift in the first place. So i guess with this situation, you are pretty much left to just take things from people. Rather parasitical, which could be another reason i'd rather be wealthy. At that point, I could at least exchange something to get something rather than just take it. But since it's ultimate power, it wouldn't matter to me at that point anyway.

Rather than extorting people for what you want (except money in this case) with ultimate power, i'd rather more discreetly buy stuff. Less accountability to everyone whom i can pay off rather than go around knowing that everyone knows i'm going to take all their stuff by force.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Unread postby DarkestRain » Sun May 02, 2010 9:10 am

I'm not much interested in what other people think of me, consequently I would rather have the money. I could have a good time all the time. Sure, I couldn't ever effect the "politics" and all that. But I think that a 'culture WIN' is a valid idea. So, you never know. But...whatever. I would enjoy my time here and I would help anyone I liked to do so as well. What MORE could I want. So 'History' won't recall my name....there are FAR worse things.
DarkestRain

Reputation point: 4

Unread postby willow » Sun May 02, 2010 2:42 pm

wealth....

money cant buy happyness but it does buy opportunities for such.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Sun May 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Ultimate power. Money that can't be used for the obtainment of power isn't very useful. I'd just take things to be my personal possessions, and use the position to effect social changes in society.

Personally, the ability to help your nation through the control of it's power structures has always been more appealing then merely living comfortably and having no influence.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Next

Return to The Chill Out