Lunar Eclipse Monday Night

Relax, kick back and shoot the shit

Lunar Eclipse Monday Night

Unread postby willow » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:53 pm

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... day-night/
Those of you who live in the North America* will be treated to a total lunar eclipse tomorrow night (Monday night/Tuesday morning)! The whole thing unfolds over about 3.5 hours, starting at 1:30 a.m. Eastern time...

Lunar eclipses are cool, but slow. They’re not like solar eclipses which last a few minutes at most; the shadow of the Earth is quite large, and it takes the Moon a while to move through it (also unlike a solar eclipse, lunar eclipses are perfectly safe to watch with your eyes, with binoculars, or through a telescope without protection). Not only that, there are two parts to the shadow: the outer penumbra, which is very difficult to see when it falls on the Moon, and the much darker umbra, which is what really casts the Moon into the dark. In other words, things really gets started when the Moon moves into the umbra.

To someone viewing from the United States, you’ll see the eclipse start on the lower left part of the Moon. It really will look like a bite is taken out, and that dark bite will grow left to right. When the Moon begins to leave the shadow you’ll see the upper left part of the Moon becoming bright, with the illumination growing from left to right.
Last edited by willow on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Re: Lunar Eclipse Monday Night

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Dammit, I have a stat's final tomorrow. I don't think I'll be able to watch.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:33 pm

Already too late. No matter though, we had snow and ice last night, no visibility of sky, just plenty of auto accidents.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:09 am

Same here, ours was the following morning. Seemed a bank of cloud arrived over my house just in time.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby angelabrookss » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:58 am

Oh nice thanks for sharing this !
angelabrookss

Reputation point: 0

Return to The Chill Out