WTF Canada? Freedom of speech my arse!

Relax, kick back and shoot the shit

WTF Canada? Freedom of speech my arse!

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Dire Straits' 'Money For Nothing' is censored in Canada

Radio bans have, over the years, done much to propel records to the upper reaches of the charts and public consciousness -- just ask Frankie Goes to Hollywood and The Sex Pistols. But the crucial thing is that they're done shortly after the band's record has been released.

Not so in Canada where Dire Straits' 25-year-old track, 'Money For Nothing', has been ordered to be re-edited if it is to grace the airwaves again. Billboard.com reports that the controversy started after a listener to Newfoundland's classic rock station, OZ FM, objected to the use of the word "faggot" in the song when it was broadcast on 1 February last year.

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) has ruled that 'Money For Nothing' is to be re-edited with the offending word removed.

A press release from the CBSC reads, "Like other racially driven words in the English language, 'faggot' is one that, even if entirely or marginally acceptable in earlier days, is no longer so. The Panel finds that it has fallen into the category of unacceptable designations on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability."

The episode has echoes of the BBC's 2007 attempt to ban the Pogues' 'Fairytale Of New York' across the British airwaves thanks to its use of the words "faggot" and "slut." The decision was later reversed following a public outcry.

From AOL Music

Edit - added source link
Last edited by UnwantedSunbeam on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Return to The Chill Out