The nuclear disaster in Japan: Fukushima Dai-ichi

Relax, kick back and shoot the shit

The nuclear disaster in Japan: Fukushima Dai-ichi

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:21 pm

I have been following the news reports of the Japanese Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear powerplant problems, and their reports of the dangers. Personally, I don't see a big threat to us here in the U.S., yet, I am not one of those alarmists. I do however admit a fallout problem in the U.S. could develop, and more, if some worse meltdowns occur in Fukushima. And I cannot tell yet if this will become another "Chernobyl." But I wanted to address some things that some of you may already know, and others may be completely naive of. There were some things that happened when the 3-mile Island nuclear plant in the U.S. had it's incident, and I expect the same sort of political and social BS to occur.

1. Almost all the technical information about what has happened to Fukushima, except the aerial photos and the interpretation thereof, has come from the operators of Dai-ichi, and Tokyo Electric Power Company. Threats and seriousness of the problem will be downplayed and underestimated by these people. They will withhold some facts, and will not tell us the really bad things they suspected has happened without hard evidence to support it. Without complete facts, the nuclear experts will not be able to properly asses the threat, and may have to concur somewhat. One thing is sure, at any given time the threat of nuclear meltdown and crisis was greater than they admitted.

2. The standards for what is considered harmful or high-risk radiation have been overestimated, skewed for politics and the bean counters. You can bet the standards thresholds have been set just a little to the high side, since they were set by the nuclear community. We will only revise this after many ppls - a much higher number than normal - have contracted cancer after being exposed to what is considered safe radiation fallout levels. And this takes decades to happen, not just a year.

3. Any ordered or recommended evacuation areas will initially be too small, and later will be expanded.

Personally, I don't feel I have anything to worry about, but that is heavily skewed by my age, as I am past middle-aged. By the time cancer would develop in me from this, I am likely to have already died of something else; or may be just destined to get cancer then regardless. Our children and grandchildren, however, are a big concern for this type of disaster. I must say this makes me feel much better that I don't live on the West coast, or West of the Rocky's, too. But if the plutonium reactor core melts down, "all bets are off," the radiation threat to us, and to our food sources, could be significant. And since they have already admitted that is a possibility, I believe it is more likely to happen than they are telling us (see #1 above).

Also, there has been a run on Potassium Iodide pills from this incident, even here in the U.S. These pills have undesirable long-term side effects, and I believe many people have started taking them on a regular basis as a protective measure, without the consultation of a doctor, and will cause their health to be compromised as a result. This is not just a short-term radiation fallout concern, the concern of contaminated food may continue for years, and will certainly be a concern for at least the remainder of this year. As a result, said foolish paranoid alarmists will be constantly taking these pills and will develop health problems as a result, and may even try to blame it on radiation (fallout).

Instead, smart ppls will keep an eye on radiation reports, and only start taking those Potassium Iodide pills when they report significantly raised levels of radiation in our foods - like just below the official acceptable levels. And it don't matter if it is only a few foods (or drinks), as soon as it gets there in one or two foods we should then take Potassium Iodide pills IMO. I have confidence that there are enough paranoid alarmists in our midst that when the levels will get there we will hear about it very soon - perhaps complete with demonstrations, or quiet gatherings of alarmist groups, covered by the media. And we will also hear about it on the Internet.

Some ppl, including my brother-in-law, are even hording food stores (as in food for storage) for a perceived upcoming crisis in radiation-free food availability.

I also believe that many nuclear power plants are quite safe, as long as they don't keep operating them too long without a complete rebuild. Many nuclear power plants were not designed to operate more than 20 years, and often those same are operated in excess of 30 years. Did you know 3-mile island was built in the 60's and still has one reactor in operation? That's in excess of 50 years! (Do the research yourself, you will see.) That's obviously not safe. They are running many reactors far past the intended safe operation lifetime - and therefore these reactors are not being run safely.

Well that's my assessment, what do you think? Are you taking or have you procured Potassium Iodide? Do you plan to? (Research that pill first.) Are you worried about fallout from Japan, or contaminated food?
Last edited by HalloweenWeed on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Re: The nuclear disaster in Japan: Fukushima Dai-ichi

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:33 pm

HalloweenWeed wrote:1. Almost all the technical information about what has happened to Fukushima, except the aerial photos and the interpretation thereof, has come from the operators of Dai-ichi, and Tokyo Electric Power Company. Threats and seriousness of the problem will be downplayed and underestimated by these people. They will withhold some facts, and will not tell us the really bad things they suspected has happened without hard evidence to support it. Without complete facts, the nuclear experts will not be able to properly asses the threat, and may have to concur somewhat. One thing is sure, at any given time the threat of nuclear meltdown and crisis was greater than they admitted.

Probably. I wouldn't be surprised by if the japanese government is fighting the figurative battle for more details.

2. The standards for what is considered harmful or high-risk radiation have been overestimated, skewed for politics and the bean counters. You can bet the standards thresholds have been set just a little to the high side, since they were set by the nuclear community. We will only revise this after many ppls - a much higher number than normal - have contracted cancer after being exposed to what is considered safe radiation fallout levels. And this takes decades to happen, not just a year.

3. Any ordered or recommended evacuation areas will initially be too small, and later will be expanded.

@2, Well, it's my understanding that exposure standards are guess-work anyway, since we don't exactly have convient humans to stuff into radiation exposure chhambers.

@3, Probably. Consider that the United States and Japan issued different evacuation radii for their citiens/personell\. My guess is that the U.S's more paranoid and larger evacuation area is the more accurate one.

For some reason this post box is f'ing up. Will finish this later with an edit or something
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Return to The Chill Out