Music websites

A place to discuss all things musical
Forum rules
Please name your threads after the artist and roughly mention their genre in the title. All music is welcome of course. And remember that taste is taste.

Music websites

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:07 pm

This is a thread for members to talk about various websites devoted to music. This thread is NOT for websites that are group-specific,
those should be discussed under that specific group name.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Music websites: The Sixty-one

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:20 pm

The Sixty-one
"Listen to music, level up
Tired of music sites that just let you listen to music?
Wish more stuff in your life had RPG elements?
Then you should definitely give TheSixtyOne
http://www.thesixtyone.com/
a look. A music site with a decidedly indie slant,
songs on TheSixtyOne are uploaded by the artists themselves, and voted on by users.
The gimmick?
Whenever a song that you've voted for goes on to be voted for by others, you gain experience and levels.
There are also achievements (such as listen to 1000 songs) and quests (for example, listen to seven recently posted songs),
so you'll always have something to work toward."

- Maximum PC March 2010
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Re: Music websites

Unread postby LonelyStoner » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:27 am

I personally use Grooveshark. IMO, one of the most awesome music site created to date. http://listen.grooveshark.com/

Listen free music legally. Any music. Their database is very big. The music quality is top notch. Even now Im using them. Give them a try.
LonelyStoner

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:02 am

I am liking grooveshark

I use We7 a lot, and I used to like Pandora but it is really strict about users outside the USA now.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:36 pm

I have been using 8 Tracks a lot recently, the mix below is one of the best I have heard in a long time.

The original concept was to choose 8 songs, and give it a cool avatar. It have evolved slightly since then, but I still like the idea of choosing a mix based only on a picture.

http://8tracks.com/bootybab977/some-dance-to-remember-some-dance-to-forget
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:32 pm

I have been using spotify for some time now, despite it getting a hard time from lots of (mostly musicians) sources. I think it works very well.

The one thing that does bother me is the huge variation in subscription fees. Last I checked it was £9.99, $9.99, and €9.99 per month. Since I pay in pounds I am currently being screwed.

However the price is still much less that the cost of most albums I would buy per month so, it works out.
UnwantedSunbeam

Return to The Boom Room