Marilyn Manson (Shock Rock?)

A place to discuss all things musical
Forum rules
Please name your threads after the artist and roughly mention their genre in the title. All music is welcome of course. And remember that taste is taste.

Marilyn Manson (Shock Rock?)

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:55 am

i don't like to use the term shock rock because it sounds lame, but here are my 2 favorite songs.

both are off his antichrist superstar album when he was in his absolute performing prime and they are arranged 8 and 9 off the album. This has to be my favorite duo of songs off any album. i crank the shit out of my car stereo when i play these songs and roll down the windows at stop lights. moar people need to hear this shit.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Re: Marilyn Manson (Shock Rock?)

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:00 am

i used to be creeped out by him as a kid haha but after really listening to his music, it's really good. i was almost shocked :P good stuff
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:31 am

I read his biography and related to him a lot. I love this guy more than his musiv but his music is pretty good sometimes.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:23 am

He is defiantly shock rock, he has the art of pissing of teenagers parents perfected.

His music is great, his art is not to my tastes.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Grimstad » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:47 am

As someone who grew up diggin Alice Cooper I can appreciate his art and gender bending (nothin new kids). I like the music. Rarely do I like a cover more than the original but I think he did a great job with Personal Jesus and Tainted Love. They fit his genre.
Of all my senses, I value my sense of humor the most

agnostic: Subcategory Apetheist.
Grimstad

Reputation point: 12

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:27 am

Dangerous Tonight & Might as Well Be on Mars by Alice Cooper both on Hey Stoopid are two of my favorites. I like earlier tracks too but these are two that create great imagery with his lyrics.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:44 am

Marilyn Manson - The Dope Show

I loved that song form the first time i saw the video. It reminded me a bit of David Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" for some reason.

Marilyn Manson - The Beautiful People

THis song marked a cultural revolution. It blew gothic culture out into the mainstream. It also revolutionized how people made music videos.
H3RM3S78

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 pm

I expected to see bill o scream and throw temper tantrums and i'm pretty sure manson knew he would give bill exactly what he wanted if he fueled his fire. Brian Warner sure is great at crafting his own image and manipulating audiences of all kinds. He also got pretty lucky throughout his career when getting good musical talent. Brian started out as a poet but then became marilyn manson as a lyricist. He doesn't really come up with any melodies or anything though. Twiggy Ramirez was the melodic force behind his most successful albums. And after that, there were plenty of others.

Manson is more enjoyable to watch on bill maher and graham norton and stuff though. He's really witty and clever.
Intercourseman72

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:53 am

Spotless interview. Thanks for posting ICM i really enjoyed that! Brian Warner is so calm and collected.
H3RM3S78

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:28 am

Marilyn Mason obviously didn't get big until the band got good enough at writing catchy songs with infectious hooks and melodies. I'd say this began around 1994 or '95 (he got rid of this guy named brad when they were on the cusp of going mainstream and brought in twiggy to be the band's second man so to speak) with lunchbox and their sweet dreams cover.

The most successful pop song is obviously The Dope Show and it is very deserving of its success. It has a swing rhythm and is easy enough to listen to for people who can't stand something like "1996" or "The Reflecting God", is intense enough for hardcore metal fans (though manson was never really metal), and is a very accurate depiction of a well known glam culture and an even better expression of Brian's perception of it. It was released on the album Mechanical Animals in 1998 and probably marked what was considered the high point of the band's longevity. The Dope Show is an excellent song in my IMO and probably for most people who study music, but I think the band pumped out a pop song off Antichrist Superstar two years earlier in 1996.

"The Man that You Fear" is very artsy, controversial, and thought provoking. The subject matter is rich and borders philosophical, the lyrics dense with concepts and unique perspectives, the chorus is just as melodic as the chorus in the Dope Show but the harmony does not compliment the lyrical melody as well (The Dope Show probably has the best crafted over/underlapping from a very tight artistic duo by brian and twiggy), and the music video is much more unique and original. Overall, this is my favorite Marilyn Manson pop song ever and happens to be the only pure pop song off the whole album. Every other song off Antichrist Superstar is comprised of much more edgy and aggressive passion. This is more somber and pleasant to listen to.

also, the lyrics are such a crucial part to this song that i have to include them in the post.

ants are in the sugar
muscles atrophy
we're on the other side, the screen is us and we're t.v.
spread me open,
sticking to my pointy ribs
are all your infants in abortion cribs
I was born into this
everything turns to shit
the boy that you loved is the man that you fear
pray until your number,
asleep from all your pain,
your apple has been rotting
tomorrow's turned up dead
i have it all and i have no choice but to
i'll make everyone pay and you will see
you can kill yourself now
because you're dead in my mind
the boy that you loved is the monster you fear
peel off all those eyes, crawl into the dark,
you poisoned all your children to camouflage your scars
pray unto the splinters, pray unto your fear
pray your life was just a dream
the cut that never heals
pray now baby, pray your life was just a dream
(I am so tangled in my sins that I cannot escape)
pinch the head off, collapse me like a weed
someone had to go this far
I was born into this
everything turns to shit
the boy that you loved is the man that you fear
peel off all those eyes and crawl into the dark,
you poisoned all your children to camouflage your scars
pray unto the splinters, pray unto your fear
pray your life was just a dream
the cut that never heals
pray now baby, pray your life was just a dream
the world in my hands, there's no one left to hear you scream
there's no one left for you

"when all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed.."

Got to mention this really quick. pop songs are often made at a tempo close to the human heart beat. This is why the most common tempo is 76 beats per minute. My heart beat is a little slower because i am not the average pop music/fast food consumer and had it completely in synch with TMTYF beat for about 30 seconds. Might be why it's such an easy going pace for me.
Last edited by Intercourseman72 on Wed May 12, 2010 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Intercourseman72

Next

Return to The Boom Room