Your guilty pleasures

A place to discuss all things musical
Forum rules
Please name your threads after the artist and roughly mention their genre in the title. All music is welcome of course. And remember that taste is taste.

Your guilty pleasures

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:58 pm

We all have music on our playlists that we wouldn't be too keen on sharing with the world. SO, in here, post the bands you love but aren't too proud to love :D

Sigh....i'll go first >.<

Lady GaGa...yes, i have a few Lady GaGa songs on my iTunes :oops: :lol: i'm usually not into that techy/pop music but her voice is crrrraazy and her songs are surprisingly catchy.

YOUR TURN!
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

Re: Your guilty pleasures

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:36 pm

I feel like a complete music novice as I like both NickleBack and Lady GaGa :oops:
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:30 pm

I listen to garbage everyday when i walk the street. So i've learned to just tune it out. And when i work at a place that plays garbage regularily, i learn to enjoy the songs anyway. Lady GaGa and Nickelback are like candy to me. They hold no nutrients but there is potential for innocent pleasures.

I've enjoyed Justin Timberlake, Timbaland, Rolling Stones and AC/DC (i know there's no shame there, but i find them just as irritating because they are just as overplayed), Kylie Minogue, Donna Sumer, Gwen Steffani, and various 80's and 90's pop and dance tunes.

I'd say my most guilty pleasure is Madonna. She's technically as annoying as anybody can be, but she has a few really strong songs also.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:51 am

...and Michael Jackson, of course.

...and i think we should sticky this.
H3RM3S78

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:43 pm

Guilty? A couple of Britney Spears songs are on the IPOD here. :oops:
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:10 am

i like this one really shitty kiss song. It's called Strutter. The lyrics are straight up bubble gum pop, and the band is too fucking talentless to even play it right live. none-the-less, i like listening to the studio recorded version of the song.

i don't feel ashamed about liking the michael jackson songs that i like because they are actually pieces of music worth listening to. i consider him a legitimate musician in spite of his bullshit music.

i don't like mycumicalromance, jonas brothers, nippleback, or w/e. i simply can't stand pop music in general. even the stuff i don' think is that cool, i don't mind cranking my stereo in my car so everyone else has to put up with it. I'll marilyn manson, white zombie, and nirvana's mtv unplugged album in my car with the stereo cranked the fuck out so everyone else can hear it. Btw, people usually want to kill me if they hear that. Too bad everyone who lives here is such a fucking pussy they don't even try to confront me. They get what they deserve. Kiss my ass for liking decent music.

But then again, i do like playing jimi hendrix. everyone likes him.

So there we have it. Strutter is about the only piece of crap song that i like. I don't even like welcome to the jungle or shit like that for your FYI.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:31 am

dr210077 wrote:I feel like a complete music novice as I like both NickleBack and Lady GaGa :oops:

That which makes you novice is not the fact you like Nickelback or Lady GaGa. It's that you haven't bothered posting a glimpse of passion towards them in their threads (you could start the Lady GaGa thread, if you have the stomach).

In that regard, you are no better than a religious fanatic that thinks Jesus loves everyone, without being able to back it up. And this is why you feel the shame, deep inside. Another reason may be because you don't dare say anything good about Nickelback after i've litterally trashed them in their thread.

It's up to you, the fan, to defend their honor, and save your's at the same time. Just because i might come around after, and pop your bubble somehow (possibly?) doesn't make it any less worthwhile. This is after all a bit of what these forums are all about. Perhaps i will be the one to start apreciating them, if you can make me see it the way you do (however not bloddy likely :lol: but i challenge you to do so anyway).

If you like it and you know it sing it loud! And don't be a closet Lady GaGa fan. Represent and respect!
H3RM3S78

Unread postby dr210077 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Nickleback and Lady GaGa are my guilty pleasures, I know full well that their music is as vacuous as Garth Brookes' music, but I enjoy singing along and getting carried away in the cheese. I am not by any means trying to say these people are good musical artists, in the same way I am not trying to say certain film directors are good directors, but rather even a bad musician or director can be enjoyed for the "candy" they serve. Sometimes a person doesn't want to engage on an intellectual level with their entertainment, they just want to be entertained.

Eye candy, and ear candy fit this bill so much better than anything which requires thought!

I told you it would be a weak argument :P
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:33 pm

dr210077 wrote:I told you it would be a weak argument :P

That is far from being a weak arguement. That is hitting the bulls-eye. I can totally picture someone sing along to Nickelback and enjoying it.

But why not post this in Nickelback's thread?
H3RM3S78

Unread postby dr210077 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:39 pm

H3RM3S78 wrote:But why not post this in Nickelback's thread?

That's easy, I know they are not a good even though I enjoy my "musical chocolate"! I see it much like food. We all know and try to eat foods which are good for us.....but every now and again we want to eat and enjoy something which has zero nutritional value just because it tastes nice.

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Boom Room