Folk and traditional songs

A place to discuss all things musical
Forum rules
Please name your threads after the artist and roughly mention their genre in the title. All music is welcome of course. And remember that taste is taste.

Folk and traditional songs

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:42 am

This thread is exclusively for Folk and traditional songs, such as old-tyme music played by ordinary folks at small dances.

Personally, my Irish grandfather and his Dutch-German wife were very musical during the evening hours, and I have many memories of their music. This thread is for all of you to share those memories, though they may not be exactly as remembered. Those were happy times, when they were celebrating life and prosperity; forgetting about their daily troubles, and just having a good time with friends and neighbors.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Cotton eyed Joe

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:59 am

This was the favorite of all, hands down, of my Irish grandfather:
The Cotton eyed Joe.
He played it on "fiddle" (violin).
My Grandmother accompanied on the piano sometimes.

The YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnRDWM4ZDzU

My grandparents would often play this in our family get-togethers, and he also played it at some dances at places like VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) halls. No, he was not a vet. It is fitting that this vid is of old-folk, because they were. I was just a kid then.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Re: Folk and traditional songs

Unread postby tetropods » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:20 am

My dad plays the mandolin, guitar, and the harmonica in an old timey band he's in called the semi-local strings.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights. :)
tetropods
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Reputation point: 500

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:02 am

I created a thread a while back on Greek traditional dances. Any other folk act thread will be linked to this one.
Last edited by H3RM3S78 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:22 pm

HW, I love some of this "Blue Grass" music. Have you checked out the movie "Oh Brother Were Art Thou'" the movie is based on Homer's "The Odyssey" and features some great folk music!
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 am

dr210077 wrote:HW, I love some of this "Blue Grass" music. Have you checked out the movie "Oh Brother Were Art Thou'" the movie is based on Homer's "The Odyssey" and features some great folk music!

My wife has the soundtrack CD, gave it to her for Xmas one year. Yeah, I thought it was OK. More specifically, I disliked a few of the songs, and it seemed to taint the whole thing for me. But there were some good ones.

When I was young, I grew up with my grandparents and mother playing folk music. The women played the piano or harmonica and my 1/2 Irish granddad played the fiddle or the banjo. I fell asleep many nights while they were playing. We went to my grandparents house almost every weekend for many years when I was young. It really made me less appreciative of it, as a matter of fact I got tired of the same old songs over and over. Songs like "Franky and Johnny." Oh well, those times are just memories now.
Last edited by HalloweenWeed on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "gave it to her for Xmas one year"
HalloweenWeed

Return to The Boom Room