Project PRISM

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Project PRISM

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:07 am

I know this has been kicked around recently, however I am not sure that the scope of the topic is fully exposed yet.

It seems that civilized governments are keeping tabs on all the good citizens, just in case there are any bad apples. Using this logic, I should have a control in my car, so that the government can stop me from crashing or driving drunk.

In a digital world that we now live in, how much of your life should be surrendered?

I read an article recently where a girl who was photographed being rapped, while very drunk, by 3 guys. Tried to prosecute them, however as she was drunk the case was refused. According to the article, using the exif data on the photo a team of hacktivists traced the phone that took the picture, traced this back to the owner and were ready to publish his and the two other users names if the local authorities would not take the case forward.

If this is the kind of data that can be collated by some hackers, it is worrying how much more data an official body could have.

So spy on the many to find the few bad, or is mass public surveillance wrong at any level?
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Return to Science and Technology