Chimp Strength.

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Chimp Strength.

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:56 am

This is more of a question for my curiosity that anything really informative.

How friggin strong are chimps and other apes? With respect to the upper and lower bodies. Humans are way strong with their legs, but not even close with their arms (except me of course. I'm a goddamn ninja warrior.

I am guessing this is a female chimp, but still, very dense muscles. I can't find much on their quantitative strength on google for some reason. Just a bunch of urban legends and stuff.

I love monkeys and I love my simeon nature as well. I must know my competition.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Re: Chimp Strength.

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:14 am

Hmmm, I hear for apes it's something like 5x stronger at least. Apparently a male ape can easily dismember an adult human being.

Possibly unrelated, but here's a series on humans as 'apes' by Richard Dawkins called "The Fifth Ape".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8kTMxfpLng (Part 1/5)

It may not contain the answers you're looking for, but may lead to videos that do.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby LeeShane » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:38 am

Chimp hit, throughout which a pet chimp imposed overwhelming injuries on a Connecticut female, was a stark reminder that chimps are much stronger than human’s beings—as a lot as four-times stronger, some researchers think.
LeeShane

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:14 pm

I've heard it as Chimps being 10x our strength and gorillas being 25x our strength. Mostly due to a differential in muscle density rather than size.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:48 pm

I hear estimates on this from many places but never actually seen good attempts to measure strengths of humans compared to other apes. The way I see it is that apes use their arms more for transportation whereas humans use their legs. So perhaps most other great apes have leg-like strength to us and we have arm-like strength in our legs to them.

About the chimp growing up to destroy that woman, I don't really see this as an indication of superior strength, just growing aggression and pursuit of dominance that all non-domesticated animals have when they get into adulthood. Wolves and half-wolves do this to people also and in many cases will kill their "owners" or human pack-leaders. This, however, doesn't mean wolves are stronger than humans. Wolves have the advantage in numbers, but I wouldn't doubt that even two wolves would be able to kill a human if they were to catch them off guard.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:21 pm

There does seem to be an awful amount of estimates out there regarding the strength levels of various primates. I imagine that the truth is somewhere in between these values. Four to eight times seems reasonable given their tendons are longer and their muscles are (overall) more efficient than our own (energy usage curve is apparently quite a bit better for primates).
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:22 pm

The whole process amazes me, given the diet that most primates have.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:48 pm

Indeed. Such is the life of the human mutant. We lose the strength and the nimble dexterity and gain intellect and adaptability in the process. Strange trade-off.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby willow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:46 pm

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Interspecies ... ates-1.htm

I understand your curiosity, so allow me to explain myself. Many people don't understand the concept of power. Scientifically, this can be measured as work/time.

So for example, if a human moves a 200 pound weight across a certain point in twenty seconds, and a chimpanzee moves the same weight across the same point at four seconds, it would have five times the power of the human in that case.

Now, let me say now that there's just no way to compare any man to an adult chimpanzee, orangutan, or gorilla. An experiment conducted in the Bronx Zoo in 1924 compared the strength of a 165-pound adult man, and a 165-pound male chimp named "Boma", and a 135-pound female chimp named "Suzette".
They compared how much weight the human could pull with one arm to that of the apes, the adult man managed to pull 200 pound before reaching his maximum. The male chimp, on the other hand, pulled 847 pounds of weight with one arm, and the female chimpanzee 1,260 pounds.

So as you can see, are ape relatives simply make the strongest of humans look like wimps. On one occasion, a log fell into the exhibit of an orangutan, one which four or five humans could not even budge after trying to remove it, however when one of the orangutan's was annoyed with its presence, it threw the log out as if it weighed nothing with one arm.

As for the strength of the animals, a chimp in the wild has the strength of 4 to 7 adult men, however generally five adult men..
An orangutan has the strength of 5 to 8 adult men, however generally 7 adult men.
A gorilla has the strength of 9 to 12 adult men, however generally about 11.

These are estimates taken from feats the animals have performed. If you knew the great apes as well as I do, I'm sure you wouldn't doubt it either.

Best regards,

Fady

dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Interesting article. Our musculature is weaker as is our endurance. This can be seen in something as mundane as the muscles in our jaws. It is theorized that the shrinking size of those muscles - in the cranium and in the rest of the body provided us with the evolutionary "power" to generate intellect. For the cranium, anything that released space to the skull area allowed the brain to become larger in successive generations without competing for space with other components. The other side is that muscle requires great amounts of energy to upkeep. That is fine for something that has only those muscles looking for energy. But when it comes to energy use in Humans, our brains gobble up the loin share, leaving less for muscle development. Basically, the smarter we are, the weaker we are (in a very general sense).
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Next

Return to Science and Technology