Humans; fit and health to 140

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Re: Humans; fit and health to 140

Unread postby willow » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:51 am

Ive read a few things on slowing the biological ageing process in people through diet control. Mostly because it was a side effect of the biodome experiment, and I suppose the idea is sound, that the biological "age" of your body as measured by several biometrics is younger then your actual age atleast in relation to other people. As for the average life expectancy of previous centuries, I dont thinkthey were considering infant mortality in calculating it. Rather that the average life expectancy WAS much lower due to disease, poor diet, unclean water and sanitation etc. Yes there have always been people living into or past their 70's however those people historically have been a small minority. Medication, sanitation and novel ideas like retierment have prolonged our lifespans, perhaps not unnaturally but further then was previously expected even 100 years ago.

My main question when it comes to the life extension bit, is the quality of life it entails. One may live to 140 but if that just means being a sickly senior for 80 years instead of 20 then im not interested. If however it means that you can enjoy an active healthy life into your 90's then lets talk.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:07 pm

I agree withthat question - if I could live to 300 years old and look as I do now, fine. But if I were to continue aging, I do not think I like the thought of living out my remaining 150 years or so as a prune.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:47 pm

What's wrong with looking the The Heff, Azmo?

When I read the details in the article, to me anyway, it seemed that each phase of the test subjects life was extended. So I would hope that in humans the same would be true, although would puberty last 3 times longer too. That would be a huge fucking downside.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby willow » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:21 pm

So I have had this notion about time perception changing with age for some time know, it seems a simple enoungh Idea in and of itself, basically since 1 year is say 10% of your life at 10 years old, it feels much longer and is perceived to BE a longer period of time then 1 year at 20, 30, 40 etc. It would explain how summer vacation could feel like forever when you were young but 2 months off is nothing anymore.

I ran accross this :P

http://everything2.com/user/Professor%2 ... with%20age

This formula can now be used to calculate the Effective Age (and the Effective percentage Completion of Life) as a function of time. This is shown in the following table:

time (yrs.) EA (yrs.) Life%
0 0.0 0
1 12.6 16
2 20.0 25
3 25.2 32
4 29.3 37
5 32.6 41
10 43.7 55
15 50.5 63
20 55.4 69
30 62.5 78
40 67.6 85
50 71.6 89
60 74.8 94
70 77.6 97
80 80.0 100

random internet math ftw :P

But given that your brain continues to age I wonder how much it can store before becomging "full" and unable to properly make or navigate new and existing nural connections
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:59 am

I know this is the wrong crowd to tell this to, but the Bible said ppls lived 400 yrs (per) before Christ. (I wonder if there is any scientific evidence of this, haha not really.) When I was still unAtheist I thought perhaps the ozone layer or Van Allen radiation belt had weakened and the increased solar radiation reduced our lifespans around the time of christ. Yes, I was rationalizing the Bible's word.

Actually willow, did you consider the effect the amount of information the brain has on the perception of time? When one has things to think about, time seems to proceed faster. I'm not saying that young ppls don't have anything to think about, but I am saying they have less knowledge to process their thoughts with - so their thoughts race faster! More thoughts per minute mean the perception of longer minutes. It's really no wonder why they can react faster in video games etc.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:59 pm

Very interesting article Willow. I have been watching an experiment on BBC called 'The Young Ones'. It is a replication of an experiment where people in their 70s/80s are submerged in a false environment desighed to look like their life 30 years ago.

In the initial experiments there was a marked change in the health and well being of the participants. Some tests showed even their eyesight had improved. The experiment tries to show that your brain and life being made easier for you actually makes your existence shorter. Parts 2-4 still have to be shown but I will see if there is a international version of this video.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Previous

Return to Science and Technology