Playstation 3 Hacked

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Re: Playstation 3 Hacked

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Sun May 01, 2011 1:06 am

dr210077 wrote:Playstation Network has been hacked and all of your personal info has been stolen, although your credit card info was encrypted, apparently.

What is worrying about this, apart from the obvious fact that yet more information is now at hand for criminals to continue trading weapons, drugs and humans, is that Sony didn't even bother to hash passwords! That is something even this site does, hence the fact we can't tell you what the password you forgot was but instead you need to reset it!

I'm willing to bet xbox live has the same kinds of security vulnerabilities, honestly. Hopefully this incident will encourage the console developers to revamp security on their online infrastructure and get up to the figurative code.
Last edited by DarthRavanger on Sun May 01, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sun May 01, 2011 6:35 am

There will be no need for them to toughen up security until there is a suitable punishment for losing the data. I would disagree with Darth on the XBox being just as vunerable. Microsoft are years ahead of Sony when it comes to storing customer data.

The other interesting point may be this could be disinformation, Sony take down PSN. Claim it to be hacked, force a backlast against Anonomys. Then bring it back up and tell the world that there will now be a fee, like XBL, for PSN. Just to cover the security charges against the evil hackers.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Tue May 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Anti Hacker propoganda starts on The Ticker. (Opening pun is shit, lay off the Austin Powers humour)

It's a regular apocalypse for PlayStation 3 owners (or should I say, ApocalyPS3?).

The console has been brought to its knees once again. Last year it was an internal clock error, brought upon by the console not recognizing that 2010 was not a leap year.Now it seems the menace may be more serious than our wacky calendar system.

For those of you who are unaware, it's been a dark time for Playstation players as users have been unable to sign on to Sony's internal network, PlayStation Network (PSN), due to internal system errors, which PlayStation is reporting is due to "external intrusion," which leads everyone to think of one possible suspect: hackers.

It's been rather well-known that PlayStation has been working overtime to gain back control of their console from the tech-savvy hands of hackers such as George Hotz or the now infamous "hactvist" group "Anonymous," but now there seems to be a new casualty: the players.

If the reason behind the PlayStation Network blackout is due to the outside forces of hackers, then this is just another reason why one should not bring themselves to side with their cause.

Not only that, but if the fear that security of personal account information has been compromised due to this external intrusion, then these so-called "righteous" hackers have now crossed the line into the territory of identity theft.

The PlayStation Network connects more than 70 million users, meaning they have the personal information of all those players. Credit card information and mailing addresses could now be at the fingertips of whoever has taken control of network.

The Senior Director of Corporate Communications for PlayStation, Patrick Seybold, is updating the PlayStation Blog with new breakthroughs regarding the network's reconstruction.

However, it seems that he's saying a lot of nothing. The only news players have gotten from these posts can be simplified to, "We're working on it."

When dealing with a situation that could compromise user's personal finances, I think we deserve more than a "hold tight" from the company.

I can understand why PlayStation does not wish to be a transparent company at this time because if we knew the extent of the situation, gamers would pretty much freak out. However, we're already freaking out. Our games don't run, our service is cut and we have no idea what's going on with our account information.

No news is not always good news, and ignorance is not always bliss.The least Sony can do is provide us with a timetable for when PSN will be up and running again, or a status on our personal account information.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:00 pm

Facebook next for the chop?

A recent post by Anonymous said they are to target facebook on the 5th Novemeber, presemably this year. Their statemnet:

"Everything you do on Facebook stays on Facebook regardless of your "privacy" settings, and deleting your account is impossible, even if you "delete" your account, all your personal info stays on Facebook and can be recovered at any time. Changing the privacy settings to make your Facebook account more "private" is also a delusion. Facebook knows more about you than your family."

There is more, but that seemed to sum it up. I am actually for this one. I hate facebook. I cannot seem to grasp how people thing I need to know that they are "Just enjoying a walk", or "talking my other half out". FFS get on with living your life, rather than trying to impress your minions with how great your life is.

<END RANT>
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Cost Of Sony Hack - Illustrated :D

also expandable below, click link press f.
UnwantedSunbeam

Previous

Return to Science and Technology