Playstation 3 Hacked

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Playstation 3 Hacked

Unread postby dr210077 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Just read this article on EuroGamer. Note to console makers, don't piss off the hacking community!
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Re: Playstation 3 Hacked

Unread postby willow » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:44 am

WOW thanks, makes me wish my PS3 wasnt first gen, the full software hack with a custom firmware is EPIC WIN though, thats what I had on my PSP and i was running dozens of extra programs, it was a universal TV remote, had some internet tv, played 700 SNES games etc. Then I could finally play Secret of Mana again :D
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Sony lawyers now targeting anyone who posts PlayStation 3 hack
By David Kravets, wired.com | Last updated about 7 hours ago

Sony is threatening to sue anybody posting or “distributing” the first full-fledged jailbreak code for the 4-year-old PlayStation 3 gaming console.

What’s more, the company is demanding that a federal judge order Google to surrender the IP addresses and other identifying information (PDF) of those who have viewed or commented about the jailbreak video on a private YouTube page. The game maker is also demanding that Twitter provide the identities of a host of hackers who first unveiled a limited version of the hack in December.

Sony’s aggressive pretrial discovery demands come in its lawsuit against George Hotz. The 21-year-old New Jersey hacker, who is well known in the jailbreaking community, published the finished PlayStation 3 code and a how-to YouTube video last month. The code allows the Playstation 3 to play pirated and homebrewed games.

Sony wants the information “to determine the identities of third parties hosting and distributing the circumvention devices” so Sony can send them a DMCA notice to remove the material “and, if necessary, seek appropriate relief from this court.” (PDF)

“The discovery they call for in my opinion is overbroad,” Hotz’ attorney, Stewart Kellar, said in a telephone interview.

Sony declined comment.

A hearing is tentatively set for Wednesday. Sony filed its documents about 7:30pm PST on Friday.

US District Judge Susan Illston ordered Hotz to remove the YouTube video and the code from his personal website—orders to which Hotz complied with last week. Ahead of an unscheduled trial in which Sony is seeking unspecified damages from Hotz, Illston had concluded that Hotz likely breached the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. He did so by publishing or "distributing" a hack designed to circumvent software meant to protect copyrighted material, the judge said.

Hotz, by order of Illston, is also scheduled to surrender his computer gear to Sony by Thursday. Kellar is trying to convince Judge Illston to back away from allowing Sony to examine his drives and other devices.

Sony is also trying to haul the so-called “failOverflow hacking team” into court. But first, Sony needs to learn the identities and whereabouts of the group’s members. They are accused of posting a rudimentary hack in December. It was refined by Hotz weeks later when he accessed the console’s so-called “metldr keys,” or root keys that trick the system into running unauthorized programs

Toward getting the FailOverflow defendants to appear into court, Sony is demanding that Twitter divulge the personal account information (PDF) behind the usernames of @KaKaRoToKS, @gnihsub, @pytey, @bl4sty, @marcan42 and @failOverflow.

Sony claims the hacks will eat into game sales for the 41 million PS3 units sold.

The DMCA makes it either a civil or criminal offense to traffic in wares meant to circumvent devices protecting copyrighted works. Ironically, performing a similar hack on a mobile phone is lawful.

Last summer, the US Copyright Office exempted cell phone jailbreaking from being covered by the DMCA. The decision means consumers may run the apps of their choice on mobile phones without fear of being civilly or criminally liable for a DMCA breach.

One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Whilst I can see how the hacking community feels, I also see the flip side that Sony employ people to make hardware and software. If no one buys it then employees suffer, and you can bet your ass that Bob the Sony cleaner will be laid off before any office staff take a paycut.

I guess the model I follow is: If it is good enought and if I can afford to I will buy it.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby dr210077 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:17 pm

We should not lose sight of the fact that GeoHotz is not a member of the FailOverFlow team. GeoHotz jailbroke the PS3 last summer IIRC. That break was swiftly fixed through a firmware update by Sony. The real issue is why Sony used a fixed number and not a random number, in their encryption algorithms, when the security equations themselves clearly denote the use of a randomly generated number!? The security could be completely restored if Sony decided to issue a firmware update which would effectively brick every PS3, and every current piece of software sold. Totally counter productive I know, but it is not the fault of those who discovered the weakness, it is the fault of the incompetent security controllers who let Sony use an effectively redundant method for their security.
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:23 am

I do take your point but it is like saying it is not the car thief's fault. It was you who left the boot unlocked, he was only try to open every car and you facilitated him.

An old argument I know, I still think the way microsoft handle it is better. For instance I was going to update my 360 HDD a few months back. However when you check the Live T&Cs it says they poll the hardware attached to the xbox and any non MS hardware will result in a console life ban.

This is a much better policy, since most consoles now are useless offline.
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:53 pm

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:I do take your point but it is like saying it is not the car thief's fault. It was you who left the boot unlocked, he was only try to open every car and you facilitated him.

First I want to say that I wasn't condoning nor decrying what GeoHotz did, simply passing on the information. However, your analogy is flawed, all GeoHotz did was to pass on information. A more apt analogy would be that if I were to work out how to open and hot-wire a Honda car, for the sake of argument, and then tell you how to do it, have I committed a crime? I have stolen nothing, and you have stolen nothing. Lets take the thought experiment one step further, if I give you the information and steal nothing but you take the information and steal the car, who has committed the crime?

If we are going to classify the exchange of information as a crime, then we run the very real risk of legitimising thought crimes.

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:46 pm

Another more apt analogy would be that Einstein is responsible for the dropping of the hydrogen bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki!

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that knowledge is always good. Morally, though, we all have a responsibility to refrain from the abuse of the knowledge we are a party to.

dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:25 am

There are two points I take from what you have said:

1. To aquire the knowledge someone had to reverse engineer the code, that is against the terms of use.

2. Those who aquire the knowledge pass it on to complete fuck wits who have no right to have that kind of information as they would be to stupid to have ever aquired it.

I am in agreement with everything you have said, we are on the same side of this argument. The PS3 was jailbroke to satisy a need, that need was to restore functionality that had been taken away. The other approach would have been to take sony to court as they changed the functionaily of what was purchased.
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:21 pm

UnwantedSunbeam

Next

Return to Science and Technology