Playstation 3 Hacked

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Re: Playstation 3 Hacked

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:13 pm

Hacking it or breaking it - for me, it is a "meh" moment. I don't have a PS3 nor am I likely to be getting one anytime soon. I do like that the attempts to ban the peoples involved have been met with hackers unbanning themselves just as easily.

It does show poor security control on the part of Sony.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:57 pm

For me it still comes back to money, someone will pay for it. Usually people like me. Maybe sony will start charging for PSN, like microsoft do for Live. Or software houses stop writing for sony, they were famously lambasted by Infinity Ward for all the hacks to MW2.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:46 am

:lol:

Such as that one that made a grenade act like a nuke or something to that effect :D
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 am

I think it was lots of aimbots, and the one where everyone was 10th Prestige with the exact same score. Once it was broken on the PS3 it made it breakable on all other platforms. If you look on the leader boards in xbox live the top players all have the exact same stats.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Really? Man ...

I mean that too. Really, when it comes to hacking a game, I support the idea when it is for the single player version - if you want to cheat the game, then doing it to the single player is only affecting yourself really. You want to shorten the play or act like a god, go ahead on your own time. But hacking the game to screw with the online stats or slaughter the other players unfairly is another matter entirely. Sure, you might not be the best player or the greatest or even that good against the people that live, eat, breathe, and sleep the game, but that is their thing. Cheating the system to give yourself an advantage simply to brag that you are X player on the leader boards or whatever is beyond childish. Honestly, if you are #1 in COD: Black Ops, that and 1.50 will get you a cup of coffee. I am dead serious - you lose or win that game and the lasting effects are exactly jack and shit and jack left town. To cheat often gives the impression that the persons life is so pathetic that they need to screw with stats so that others can anonymously think them better than they are. That does not make a lick of sense.

I've played my share of online games - played Counterstrike, Weapons Mod, FLF, and many other mods for Half-life (for example). Cheaters were their bane. Having another player with an aimbot or the ability to see through walls (happened to me) or whatever does not enhance the game for others, it generally just ruins it for the rest. One reason I am not against punitive measures being exacted against them - ban them, kick them, blacklist them. If it's fun to mess with the game, then prepare to face what people will do when they find out.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:06 pm

The aimbots are a pain in the ass, not helped by the fact I have the thumb control or a epileptic octopus. I have become accustomed to losing, lots.
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Don't feel too bad about it - I am good with my coordination, but those games that need you to key press in time with music ... I suck royally on those. Then again, I game primarily on PC so my thumbs are not generally that big an issue. Using the WASD keys and the mouse, my thumb is used primarily for the space bar (jump) and that key is so big that my thumb generally cannot screw it up anyway. Been up against what I figured were aimbots - no way they were able to track me clear across the map with precision like that (didn't accuse anyone - just went to another server, one with punkbuster).
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:07 pm

A new found respect for Azmo, he is a wasd guy and not a arrow keys man. :D
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Thank you :D

WASD is the only way to fly right in a FPS. My humble opinion, of course. Well, mine and every game developer out there apparently. Ever wonder why, even with games that are identical for the Xbox 360, PS3 and the PC, PC players are not able to join console game servers and vice versa? Hint - it has nothing to do with different communication protocols. Strangely, back when the Xbox 360 was being launched, Microsoft promised that this would be the wave of the future - PC players and Console players united at last. Never happened - the whole idea just faded into the background. Reason? Well, to be blunt, it's because the PC people will wipe the floor with the console people. Not by a frag or two, but in the area of total "ownage". Not because they are "better" at the games, but because they have a much better control scheme. PC gamers can use controllers like gamepads and the like, but most will use the mouse and keyboard in tandem and that control scheme has yet to be beat when it comes to fluidity and responsiveness. More specifically, as you point out UnwantedSunbeam, using the WASD keys with the mouse makes for a very powerful combination. The ease of striking more than 20 keys on the board and the tracking possible with the mouse means you aim faster and with more assurance. They are rumored to have tried PC versus Console games and the console players complained to no end that the PC people were cheating. They weren't - their control scheme is simply superior. :D

But I digress - glad to hear you seem to be a WASD kind of guy, Sunbeam. I don't think I ever played without it (except maybe very early in my PC gaming time - back in 1994 - 1995).
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:23 pm

Yep Duke Nukem and Doom type games needed the arrows and control , alt space. But that was a while ago.

On your other point I am going to have to get a COD for PC and see how much better/worse I am. There was talk of a Keyboard mouse for Xbox but I have never seen it. PS3 lets you plug in a keyboard but I am sure you cannot play games via it.
UnwantedSunbeam

PreviousNext

Return to Science and Technology