Playstation 3 Hacked

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Re: Playstation 3 Hacked

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:15 pm

They said the same was coming for the Nintendo a long time ago. And for a time, there was a mouse with the SNES, but they didn't put it in anything so it never caught on.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby willow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:26 am

I dont know if you can use the kbd or mouse in game on PS3 I do know that hte kbd will function for any text input sections in most games though. As for the WASD thing, totally, give me ANY FPS game and I am immediately better with a mouse and kbd mostly because aiming your weapons on the PC is literally a matter of point and click where as the analog sticks on a consol controller are considerably less precise and intuitive.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Damned straight, Willow. I am by no means a master of the FPS, but give me that Keyboard and Mouse combo and I am immediately immensely better at playing. The consoles use the analog sticks, which are good, but they do not exactly allow for the fine control of the mouse. I find that it over-compensates to an extent - or that you (the player) will over-compensate for the sort of mechanical motion it provides.

By the way, nice to see you around Willow :)
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:57 pm

I do agree I have unreal on xbox and PC and on PC I am 100x better. Even basic combo of jump and aim. However when I play COD on xbox there are people who are as adept with the controller. I guess it may be how you first begin to play sets a preference.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:59 pm

The keyboard on PS3 works of some things not all like you suggest. Like enter can be used to confirm a dialogue box for instance, but so far I have not found a way to map controls to keyboard functions.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:16 am

Not really hacking related but:

Sony will resume shipments of PlayStation 3 game consoles in the Netherlands after the Dutch authorities lifted an injunction issued on a patent-infringement complaint lodged by LG Electronics.

A Dutch court Thursday released a preliminary order to LG to release 300,000 Sony PlayStation 3s seized on its behalf by Dutch customs officials earlier this month as part of a patent dispute case.

According to a report on the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, LG is expected to appeal the ruling and move to a full patent violation suit in the Netherlands.

LG claims the Blu-ray technology used in the Sony consoles infringes LG patents, while Sony denies that claim.

Sony?s game consoles were seized late last month amid a widening legal feud between Sony and LG. The court asked for the seizure to take place immediately and Sony was only informed of the decision after the fact. The seizures have caused a disruption of Sony's European distribution chain.

The two companies are also in a patent-infringement battle in the U.S. over technology used in mobile phones and televisions.
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:35 pm

Patent trolling is the way of these things nowadays. Hell, the US patent office has all but given up on bothering to actually look at the patent being granted, allowing for patents on common techniques and old technology. LG and Sony should just both laugh and walk away - way too much of that "intellectual property" bullshit going around.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:20 am

What is unclear is did the sieze only unsold units or was there a house to house round up?
UnwantedSunbeam

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:38 am

That would be hilarious - you'll get my PS3 when you pry it from my cold, dead, cheetos-dust encrusted hands. :D
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby dr210077 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Playstation Network has been hacked and all of your personal info has been stolen, although your credit card info was encrypted, apparently.

What is worrying about this, apart from the obvious fact that yet more information is now at hand for criminals to continue trading weapons, drugs and humans, is that Sony didn't even bother to hash passwords! That is something even this site does, hence the fact we can't tell you what the password you forgot was but instead you need to reset it!
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

PreviousNext

Return to Science and Technology