Leukemia got served!

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Leukemia got served!

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:38 pm

One of the reasons I love Fark. Behold! Researchers and Doctors at the University of Pennsylvania have found an injection that basically kicks leukemia right in its miserable little face.

New leukemia treatment exceeds 'wildest expectations'

Fuck you, cancer. We get ever closer to slitting your vile throat. And good riddance too.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Re: Leukemia got served!

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:25 pm

I have to admit that I have long been convinced that it is possible for medical companies to make more money from treating cancers than curing them. I know this opens a whole raft of paranoid-conspiracy angles but business is business.

I am glad the little guy got a turn and won this time, with out the backing of the big companies. Further more I hope they (whatever the medicl version of open source) this whole process. That would make my day.

Good find Azmo.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:11 am

I agree wholeheartedly. This needs widespread adoption and additional develop. Who knows what cancers this might cure in the future if we give it a little more attention. :D
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:42 am

Ecstasy 'could be used in cancer treatment'
Ecstasy could be used to cure cancer after scientists modified the drug to increase its tumour-killing properties.

Researchers from Birmingham University claimed the designer drug, also known as MDMA, could be used to treat leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma after making it 100 times more effective at suppressing growth.

Ecstasy was already known to be effective against more than half of white blood cell cancers, but previously the large dose required to treat a tumour would also have killed the patient.

In a study published in the Investigational New Drugs journal, the scientists said the new drug could be used by doctors to treat cancer if it can be produced in a safe form.

Lead author Professor John Gordon said: "This is an exciting next step towards using a modified form of MDMA to help people suffering from blood cancer.

"While we would not wish to give people false hope, the results of this research hold the potential for improvement in treatments in years to come."

From The Telegraph
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:50 am

Sounds like an "ecstatic" move on their part :P

Seriously, cancer is one disorder that afflicts humans I can't wait to see fuck off somewhere. Very bad way to die. I'd rather go overwrought - propane tanker into a Nitroglycerin Plant next to a Fireworks factory, that sort of thing.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Return to Science and Technology