Study: drinking caused 1 in 25 deaths globally?

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Re: Study: drinking caused 1 in 25 deaths globally?

Unread postby notma » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:29 pm

Nah I was messing, but drunk people are almost as boring as stoned people, not looking at anyone :|

I liked cheech and chong and I don't drink.
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby roid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:30 pm

HalloweenWeed wrote:...incarceration...

:D
roid

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:21 pm

roid wrote:
HalloweenWeed wrote:...incarceration...

:D

:lol: ROFL, good one, roid. :lol:
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby aeon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:38 am

<<this shit is a plague on our species and we target other narcotics with much smaller fatality rates, but>>

I agree, but we already know how well prohibition worked.

What amazes me is that both Alcohol and Nicotine are much more potent poisons than pot (The LD50 for Nicotine is 40–60 mg (0.5-1.0 mg/kg) in Humans and Ethanol is 180 mg/kg. Meanwhile the LD50 for THC is, for the average adult) 4 pounds. One would need to consume 4 pounds of pure THC before they had a 50% chance of dying.

In so far as cigs and pot where I live (san Francisco). Cigs are heavily frowned upon but we have pot clubs all over the place with people lighting up in public and the police don't even blink.
aeon

Reputation point: 198

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Celebrate Good Times!

I reject the big picture, and prefer to look at the series of 'good news' articles in isolation.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Study: Abstaining from alcohol significantly shortens life

New research shows that those who imbibe are less likely to die than those who stay dry.

A newly released study shows that regular drinkers are less likely to die prematurely than people who have never indulged in alcohol. You read that right: Time reports that abstaining from alcohol altogether can lead to a shorter life than consistent, moderate drinking.

Surprised? The tightly controlled study, which looked at individuals between ages 55 and 65, spanned a 20-year period and accounted for variables ranging from socioeconomic status to level of physical activity. Led by psychologist Charles Holahan of the University of Texas at Austin, it found that mortality rates were highest for those who had never had a sip, lower for heavy drinkers, and lowest for moderate drinkers who enjoyed one to three drinks per day.

Of the 1,824 study participants, only 41 percent of the moderate drinkers died compared to a whopping 69 percent of the nondrinkers. Meanwhile, the heavy drinkers fared better than those who abstained, with a 60 percent mortality rate. Despite the increased risks for cirrhosis and several types of cancer, not to mention dependency, accidents and poor judgment associated with heavy drinking, those who imbibe are less likely to die than people who stay dry.

A possible explanation for this is that alcohol can be a great social lubricant, and strong social networks are essential for maintaining mental and physical health. Nondrinkers have been shown to demonstrate greater signs of depression than their carousing counterparts, and in addition to the potential heart health and circulation benefits of moderate drinking (especially red wine), it also increases sociability.

While it’s always important to drink responsibly, this is one study that warrants raising a glass.

Full Time Stoty
Extract from MNN
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:19 pm

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:Study: Abstaining from alcohol significantly shortens life

And again I must iterate everything needs to be balanced well. Nothing is good for you when done excessively. Think about sugar (and food fat), that one is rather obvious. But that same frame of thought needs to be used in alcoholic drink and everything else too. Think about even water, some ppls have died of drinking too much water. If one cleans too much you risk too much chemical exposure, absorption and aspiration. Not to mention polio infections became prevalent in the mid-1900s because of the wide-spread cleanliness (not saying I am a slob). Just saying it is the ying-yang thing, to much ying is bad, too much yang is bad, balance is key.
Last edited by HalloweenWeed on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: formatting
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Previous

Return to Science and Technology